1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Who do you want, do you really really want?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by straighttalker, Aug 22, 2017.

Discuss Who do you want, do you really really want? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. jj81

What time is it on?

2. Icicle

Hope we get a favourable draw, Monaco would be exciting games

3. Nakamura88

Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Big Jozo is gonna "miller" the * out of Messi this season :D

4. markeyboy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    This may sound controversial but I honestly don't understand why some people want Real Madrid, Chelsela etc. I get that, you want to see the best teams in the world at Celtic Park but we should be aiming higher. We're not there to make up the numbers, we are there on merit and I think we're now at the stage where we can make a serious impression.

Don't get me wrong, I know we're not going to win it but I think we could certainly at least make it to the knock out stages if the draw is kind to us when they do the draw later.

I don't want to admire Real Madrid putting 4 past us and 'Enjoy the experience'. I'd much rather play Benfica and sneak a 1-0 victory in a pretty dull match.

It's not like Sevco where they only get to see this once a blur moon - We're fairly experienced in the group stages now if you exclude that horrible reign under Ronny.

Under Rodgers, we're fully equipped to seriously compete and make it hard for even the best teams to break us down.

I'll be hoping to avoid the glamour teams at 5pm and see if we can pull off a massive challenge of qualifying for the knockout stages.

Buzzing now!

Bumblebee likes this.
  5. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I don't understand the clammer for Real Madrid either.

We'll just pump them in the Last 16 don't worry.

richardm and StPauli1916 like this.
  6. josh_j_mcg

Deluded to think we can 'compete on the pitch' with a team like Dortmund or Napoli. Saying that it depends what you class 'competing' as. Forwards like Aubameyang & Reus or Callejon & Mertens would look at Bitton at CB and chuckle.

Realistic view is we are fighting for 3rd place and Europa League entry. Realistically the preferred draw would be Spartak, Porto and then there's a few in Pot 3 - take your pick from Basel, Olympiakos, Anderlecht and maybe Besiktas. Most teams in Pot 3 I think we can 'compete' with (except Napoli and Roma). Liverpool and Spurs don't put the fear into me.

I think if we want European football after Christmas we need two or three new faces in.

For sure a quality CB. We cannot continue to put Bitton at CB when it's not his natural position or Ajer who is a youngster, unproven at this level and who quite frankly looked rattled earlier in the week. I do not think that player is Coetzee who we are linked with/have signed and to be honest I can't understand us moving on Sviatchenko and bringing Coetzee in. I've though Sviatchenko had the makings of a quality CB before although granted he went off the boil at the tail end of last season.

One or two attacking players in the final third. I don't think another year long loan move for Patrick Roberts is the answer and maybe it's just my mindset but I'd rather see Forrest, a permanent member of the squad and someone who is certainly capable, get game time in the big games and the experience in his pocket over someone who is leaving in 12 months. We get no long term benefit from playing Roberts on the right at the cost of Forrest. I know we've brought Hayes in as cover but I see him more as a domestic player. I think it's wise to bring in another out and out striker at this stage too but who do you get that's the same quality as Griffiths / Dembele and within budget?

celticfan01 likes this.
  7. Celticbhoy111

Shakhtar Doneskt
    Porto
    Anderlecht
    Celtic

Would be nice

The Maestro likes this.
  8. The Maestro

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul Mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Malley
    Easiest shittiest draw would do me nicely, not going to change the atmosphere at Celtic park reagardless of who we play on a champions league night.

9. straighttalker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Vic
    I would prefer one glamour tie (I.e. Madrid or Monaco) and two average ties. Need to have one glamour tie at least. I really think we r odds on to get an English team again.

10. CheGuevara

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Spartak Moscow, Sevilla and Anderlecht

11. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Half 4 on BT Sport 2 and British Eurosport, mate.

Always a load of * build up so I imagine the actual draw is 5pm.

jj81 likes this.
  12. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

I want an English side...few things are more satisfying in football than beating them in Europe.

Hopefully avoid any Real's or Barca's.

celticfan01 likes this.
  13. MusselburghBhoy Gimme danger, little stranger

Fav Celtic Player:
    Momo Sylla
    Spartak,
    Porto &
    Olympiakos please.

14. celticfan01

Fav Celtic Player:
    Emilio Izaguirre
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them

15. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    Spartak, Porto, Andeelecht would be Randy Marsh for me. Want the kindest draw possible and to have another crack at the last 16.

16. CymruBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing.
    Is the draw on telly?

17. richardm

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mcgrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Can you imagine how many folk claiming to be regular supporters will be looking for tickets for this, always the same when we play Barcelona etc, * who come out of the woodwork and wouldn't even know when we are playing the likes of Hamilton let alone trouble themselves to watch it.

All that said would be a terrific occasion but if pressed would avoid them, it would be one of those games whe we turn up hoping we get them on a bad day and we defend for our lives giving away 70% possession

18. richardm

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mcgrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I watched Dortmund 4 times last season live and cannot understand why you or anyone else are bigging them up so much, absolutely nothing to fear from them, they get pumped regularly domestically, I saw Ingolstadt and Hertha both come to Dortmund and look far better teams, they are nowhere near the level of Munich and I'd fancy our chances certainly at home

celticfan01 likes this.
  19. vortex666

Real Madrid for me .going back to when we beat Barcelona when arguably they were at there best .some pundits saying that this Real Madrid side are even better than peps barcelona team .so beating Real would be just amazing if we could pull it off and plus they have the best player ever to play Champions league in Ronaldo miles ahead of anyone else ..its one competion that messi might just have to play 2nd best when he retires .and plus would be great to see ronaldos greeting face walking off after we beat them .

20. Bob Loblaw Gold Member Gold Member

Wish they wouldn't bother with all this pish. Nobody is interested. Just draw the * balls.