1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Vasilios Barkas (GK)

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by Luis1967, Jul 3, 2020.

Discuss Vasilios Barkas (GK) in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    It was reported at the time they wanted Scott Brown type money from us 4million at least. They accepted less than that from Aston Villa. They werent keen on selling him to us

Peej likes this.
  2. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    I'm sure I read that hibs were wanting a premium as they were selling to a rival team in the same league

Not sure of the source though

3. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    sorry mate, i assume you are talking about McGinn now? I thought you were talking about Barkas?

But no, we lowballed hibs to *. Villa came in and offered what they wanted straight off the bat. We matched that bid at the 11th hour and it was accepted.

4. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    I heard we asked what they actually wanted and had a bid in asked what they thought about it with no reply villa then came in offered 500,000 grand more Celtic then offered same money which they accepted but McGinn had already made his mind up hibs played Celtic they were never going to sell to us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peej likes this.
  5. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    We were not low balling them.
    At one stage we had offered £2.5million to them and they had still demanded £4milliom off us.
    Next thing they accept £2.7million from villa and had to accept our matching offer.

They refused to budge on this with us completely. They never negotiated and they never wanted to.
    If £2.7million was their target value, then they would have negotiated to it, they didn't. Not once with us.

Being 200k out from the final price is not low balling.

Sent from my Nokia 6.2 using Tapatalk

littlekennie likes this.
  6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic are in talks with AEK Athens after stepping up their move to sign £6.5 million-rated goalkeeper Vasilios Barkas.

Record Sport understands the Greek international is high on the target list with a bid to re-sign
    Fraser Forster from Southampton having faltered.

Sources in Greece claim the Parkhead outfit have had a first bid of £3.5 million rising by another £1 million in add-ons turned down as AEK attempt to start an auction for their outgoing 26-year-old.

Barkas is set to leave Athens with French outfit Montpellier and newly-promoted English side Leeds United also understood to be monitoring the situation and it’s believed the personal terms which would be on offer at Celtic are acceptable to the Dutch-born No.1 and his advisors as he seeks his next challenge after four years at his current club.

AEK want to get at least £6.5 million for the shotstopper, but it is believed an offer in the region of £5 million could be enough to tempt them into a sale as they have already decided the keeper is going and they are also desperately seek much-needed funds to make alterations to their own squad.

Record Sport reported last month that AEK major backer Dimitris Melissanidis and Technical Director Ilia Ivic held a meeting in the middle of lockdown where it was decided that selling Barkas would be a key way to offset recent frustrating hits to the club’s coffers.

AEK have suffered a tough recent spell with suspended sentences, fines and crowd bans from
    Uefa for fan trouble at Euro games, while Covid-19 also shut Greek football down for three months and forced play-off matches upon the game’s restart to be played behind closed doors meaning more damaging losses of revenue.

Ivic is believed to have pinpointed Barkas as a key sale as there is no need for a replacement to be purchased with current back-up keeper Panagiotis Tsintotas proven in the top team and lined-up to assume the full-time, first-choice slot.

Celtic are assessing a number of possibilities with other options on the table after Forster initially rejected the chance to return after spending last term on loan.

While there is still faint hope of a late u-turn from the Englishman after the clubs agreed a loan-to-buy deal a month ago, manager Neil Lennon needs a keeper soon and Barkas is firmly on the radar.

7. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic need to hurry up and make things happen on the keeper front. Pretty much a given now we will start the season with one senior keeper and obviously not a who we trust to be first choice.

Crilly likes this.
  8. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain

It’s always a feeler for negotiations. Lawell doesn’t expect it to be accepted but he gets to gauge where he needs to be aiming and how much he can bargain with them. It’s all shop tactics mate. It is annoying though because you always feel like someone could nip in and steal him.

CountyDownFaithful likes this.
  9. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    yes we were. We placed two bids under £2m and a third at £2m before we matched villas bid which was accepted.
    what your saying is simply untrue and defies any kind of logic. I dont think you have any concept on how much a sum like 500k can do for hibs as a club.
    The very fact that Hibs accepted the offer we MATCHED dispels the idea that they didnt want to sell to us. They didnt need to accept that as the bid was already in from Villa. The cold hard fact is that we lowballed them. Three times. Its Lawells MO.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.da...s/celtic-match-john-mcginn-offer-13049219.amp

Mystic Penguin likes this.
  10. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Celtic told John McGinn will cost them £4million as Hibs hold out for more than double Hoops' latest bid
    McGinn sat out HIbs' Europa League qualifier against Runavik this evening and Neil Lennon admits the player "is not 100 per cent mentally" with the speculation flying round.

Hibs are holding out for around £4million for prize asset John McGinn.

McGinn was left out of the Hibs side that faced NSI Runavik in the Europa League first qualifying, first leg tie at Easter Road tonight fuelling speculation that the 23 year-old is set to clinch a deal with his boyhood heroes Celtic .

littlekennie likes this.
  11. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik

12. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    They had to accept our offer because we matched one they already accepted

littlekennie likes this.
  13. oh bhoy

aek set a price pete chances his arm offers half ,down the list we go again

Crilly likes this.
  14. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    they didnt have to accept anything from us. Just because we match a bid doesnt mean they need accept.

15. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Yup, unfortunately its him down to a tee tbh. I dont have any confidence in him to do the business and my worry is that, as has been the case in recent seasons, we will go into the start of the seasons without having added in areas in need.

If we fail to make the CL again, surely to * someone needs to look at his position and ask why we are underperforming? The treble treble / quadruple treble tells one story, but our european performance tells another.
    We have missed millions in potential earnings by having such a poor transfer strategy year after year in the summer windows.

oh bhoy likes this.
  16. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    I'm glad he seems to be our main target, and if its between us and montpelier then I think we will get him. Still would rather get this wrapped up soon before other clubs notice his low price.

celticdaft238 likes this.
  17. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    What exactly Hammond's role in transfers then? Is he just a glorified scout. I heard someone saying that the recruiting of the new goalie was basically down to Hammond and Woods. Genuinely curious.

18. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    http://www.celticfc.net/news/16939

He's basically a director of football.

He's not the head scout, he's a station above that. But he isn't a board member, so he isn't Peter lawwell.

Lawwell has always been criticized for taking too much control in the playing squad and recruitment aspect of the club, Hammond is basically taking that role from him and acting as a director of football with a different title.

Jacob knows and The_Bhoy like this.
  19. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He was a goalkeeper and Stevie Woods has a class eye for one as well so you’d like to think they’d be able to pull some sort of rabbit out the hat.

Tommy25, Peej, Hammy89 and 1 other person like this.
  20. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Yeah only clocked he was a keeper in a past life as well when searching him this morning.

Same thought went through my head, surely between them they can spot a decent keeper and in woods we can train one to suit us.

Take the earlier mentions of Barkas seemingly not catching a ball much (not an issue if he clears it regardless), but you would think at 26 Woods would be able to train that out of him/train him to catch with relative ease.