1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Transfer Talk

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by PaulM1888, Jun 24, 2009.

Discuss Transfer Talk in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Foley1888

Was having a look at the new Post Brexit transfer rules to see if I could understand how this would impact us.

From reading it sounds like a maximum of 6 non UK based U21 players can be signed in a season and only 3 per transfer window. None of them can be under 18.

If a player is over 18 and playing in one of Europe’s top 5 leagues they are pretty much guaranteed a work permit so a signing like Chris Julien would be still possible.

If a player is a regular international for a top 50 ranked nation then they are almost guaranteed so a Swedish, Swiss, Norwegian, Czech, Hungarian, Cameroon, Nigerian, Serbian amongst a host of others will still be able to be signed and get a work permit no problem if they have played over 60% of the countries game’s over the previous 12 months for over 20th and those below it have to have played over 40%. So signing the likes of Ely, Ajer(of it was now) or Klimala would all seem to still be possible.

If a player is a regular for any international team they will be well on their way to getting the work permit points they need. The rest of this will be made up of competitiveness and number of games they have played in their own league. So the likes of when we signed Wanyama, a Kenyan international and played in a decent Euro league, Belgium we would still be able to sign.

South American’s are now a lot easier to sign if they play in the Copa Libertadores or the Copa Sudamerica. If they play regularly for a club playing in either tournament they will likely get a work permit. This could be interesting as it would give us an option to sell ourselves as a route to EPL for talented players.

Buying players from leagues such as Serbia, Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Poland for example where they are not an international or youth international will be tough unless their club wins the league and reached a group in the CL or Europa. If they are in their international set up there is still a good chance. So signing someone from a Midtylland, Slovan Bratislava, LASK, Ferencvaros, Salzburg, Molde, CSKA Sofia, Cluj, Lech Poznań, Rijeka, Slavia or Sparta Prague, Red star Belgrade, Slovan Liberec, Maccabi Tel Aviv, etc there is a good chance we would get a work permit for them, if they were also a full or youth international for any side playing most of the games they would more than likely make the grade for a work permit.

This might not be 100% right but gives a good indication of who we could move for and who we would struggle to get a work permit for. Having read this I feel there is a lot of poorly researched media stories out there about it being the UK market or nothing for us as this is not true and in the case of some markets such as South America and even the MLS to an extent it has actually opened doors to sign players playing regularly there.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
  2. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Some Sheff Wed midfielder mentioned, Shaw.

3. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Aye teenage midfielder exactly what we need. Another to never play then go on loan to a team at a lever below we sign him from then leave for * all.

Wee Baldy likes this.
  4. oh bhoy

* £11.5 million in for frimprong and that clueless * Lennon says we won't be spending ,only gonna bring a couple of loans

5. rkid

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil Lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Sounds like a better deal for us. Would rather we sign players from actual teams who win things rather than scraping the bottom of the barrel every * year

Wee Baldy likes this.
  6. rkid

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil Lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    We’re a total shambles of a club mate. Could have predicted this, 10 on the line all but gone, could have really invested this January at least to set ourselves up for next season, but naw our board do their usual. Something needs to be done about these *.
    Also not to mention huns will undoubtably get in to the CL group stages, invest properly in players and pull even further way. All the while we continue to sign absolute no marks from the darkest corners of Europe and English championship/PL rejects. Sad sight

Wee Baldy, oh bhoy and DonnyCelt like this.
  7. DonnyCelt

Same every season. We never reinvest seriously, and when we do its to late as we're already out of CL at qualifying.

We're a shambles from top to bottom.

Wee Baldy and oh bhoy like this.
  8. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Genuinely don't want that * spending any more money tbh.

Wee Baldy and oh bhoy like this.
  9. Foley1888

Yeah could possibly be the case, the markets that will be tricky for us and could be fruitful is Norway and Sweden. If a player isn’t a full international then they will likely be tough to sign certainly without an appeal.

I did see an article yesterday claiming Kasper Junker wouldn’t get a work permit if we went for him. Again, I think this is misleading given his former team mate Zinckernagel got one for Watford having played a similar amount of game time for the Norwegian champions and made a greater goal contribution with both being the same age 26 and Danish as well as Junker actually having U21 caps which Zinckernagel didn’t.

The SPL is also a lower rated league than the Championship in the points system so if it had to go to appeal and we were in for him you would imagine a pretty good case would be made.

10. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
  11. Foley1888

I highly doubt we will sign any of those five players Lustig was done a season before he left us. Bauer was poor when here, Simpson I think knocked us back or we knocked him back.

I would be trying to sign Ryan Nyambe from Blackburn in a similar deal to that we have been linked to for Davies, Pearson and Shaw from Sheffield Wednesday. He is quick, strong and decent on the ball. He can cope with the demands we have on full backs to get up and down the pitch.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
  12. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Oh I don't believe that we will, but I wouldn't rule out with this board just to * fans off.

13. CountyDownFaithful

Does the window shut tomorrow or do we have right up to Sunday midnight to complete deals?

14. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Midnight on the 31st is it not?

15. CountyDownFaithful

I think that’s probably right. Wasn’t sure if it would be the last working day of the month.

16. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

When the last day of the month falls on a weekend, its usually carried over until the Monday. So it'll probably be the 1st it closes.

CountyDownFaithful likes this.
  17. Conjuring_Obey Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley song
    Not even going to look at another transfer article until it’s all over. Celtic bore me to the core with the transfer stuff now.

DonnyCelt likes this.
  18. Turnbulls right peg

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Over and over
    If the rumour of £1m for porteous from hibs is true i hope were having a look think he has a bit more development in him

littlekennie likes this.
  19. shaunm

I think at that price,it’s worth the gamble mate

20. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Defo boy has sell on value

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.