1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomoki Iwata

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Notorious, Dec 30, 2022.

Discuss Tomoki Iwata in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Yeah I agree, which is exactly what you want from a defensive midfielder.

Allows players like Johnstone to get much further forward and put in those 2 assists because he knows he's covered when he does

martin_d likes this.
  2. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    He has had a decent run in the side, done reasonably well overall but has not kicked on for me.
    Just expecting a bit more creativity from him after getting a run in the side.
    I get that he is a defensive midfielder but needs to step up against the likes of yesterdays opposition.
    Begs the question, do we really need to be fielding a defensive midfielder at home to certain SPL sides?
    Aside, I would keep him as a squad player, back up to Cal for now. May even start him alongside Cal in certain away Euro ties.

3. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo

I get that and at times you would think playing the more creative player ie Mcgregor in that role would be better in games like yesterday but as I mentioned last night 4 of our best home performances/results of the season have came with him in there. We have had some absolutely dreadful results at home with Mcgregor in there, particularly against bottom 6 teams.

We seem to be a more attacking side with Iwata. It would be good if he was better on the ball than he is and we should look for a bettter version but moving forward I think an out and out defensive midfielder should be in the team.

4. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Gets caught on it too much..

eire4, 10/4 Kemosabe and Mr Shelby like this.
  5. 88jimmij88

Fav Celtic Player:
    KT
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grand old team to play for
    Great to have him as backup for CalMac. Does a really good job when he comes into the side. And CalMac is getting a little older, he won't be able to play every minute of every game as he used to in the past.

GreenLeanMean and bhroom like this.
  6. Big C

Agreed, his awareness on the ball is really poor.

10/4 Kemosabe and McChiellini.. like this.
  7. 10/4 Kemosabe Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson/ Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    McGregor is 30 years old. He's at the peak of his game.

8. 88jimmij88

Fav Celtic Player:
    KT
    Fav Celtic Song:
    For years he played more minutes each season than almost any other player in the world. It's sensible to manage his game time a bit as he's in his 30s now.

bhroom and Mince.Charming like this.
  9. Foley1888

I know we haven’t seen much to him and his attitude may be an issue but I believe Holm has the game to play the bringing the ball out part of the holding game McGregor does so well. Not right now in a run in and I do think he needs a loan but he is very good at progressing the ball both with carries and forward passes.

If we could get him out to a top 6 challenging team in our league or a championship down south loan, I still think he could develop into a very good player.

Iwata to me is more a traditional 6, he is more like a back 3 outside centre back where he is decent on the ball, has good mobility and physical attributes but if we are being serious about trying to get better it is somewhere I think we need to improve the squad.

10. 10/4 Kemosabe Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    You make out like he is coming to the end of his career. He's 30, almost 31. He's at the perfect age for us where he has experience and still a good level of athleticism. He has had very few serious injuries as well which suggests his game is being managed fine.

11. ardis1967

I was a big advocaat for him to start more games but the past couple of games have been very underwhelming. Again it's about opinions on what you want as a DM but he seems to hide a little bit when the CB's have the ball. Definitely has the ability and shows flashes but we need an extra gear especially for European games

10/4 Kemosabe likes this.
  12. 88jimmij88

Fav Celtic Player:
    KT
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Not at all, but if we want to get the best out of him over then next few years, it's sensible not to flog him.

NomDePlum likes this.
  13. 88jimmij88

Fav Celtic Player:
    KT
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Holm does look he has potential, but I think there's more to come from Iwata too.

14. 10/4 Kemosabe Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    I agree on Holm, there is a player in there. Iwata is 27 and been here two years into his contract and hadn't been able to break into being a regular starter. And if everyone is fit he will be on the bench. Has done well in some games and not so well in others. At his age I don't see what development he is going to show us now.

JC Anton likes this.
  15. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    I think he'll be moved on in the summer and we'll sign a quality replacement..

16. Lewis Kerr

Hopefully..

I don't mind Iwata, but we really need to start aiming for better if we want to compete in Europe.

If we assume that O'Riley is offski in the Summer, that leaves us with McGregor, Hatate, Iwata, Holm, Kwon and maybe Bernardo. Going into another European campaign with those guys as our options is just asking for trouble.

We need a proper DM and probably another box to box midfielder. I like the look of Holm but at the moment he looks like a non starter. I highly doubt Kwon is good enough either.

Imo Hatate can still be moulded into a classy European midfielder. Let's get a solid * beside him, then McGregor or whoever else can occupy the other space. Personally I think McGregor is on the decline and don't think he should be a guaranteed starter in Europe, but that's another conversation.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  17. 10/4 Kemosabe Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    We seen the difference an experienced player of quality, such as Aaron Mooy can bring to the squad. Doesn't need to be a player that will play and light up each game, but someone who has a calmness and assurity that can help the younger, less experienced players.

Lewis Kerr and McChiellini.. like this.
  18. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Just doesn't do enough for me..

All parts of his game are just OK.

19. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    That would be my biggest complaint at the moment he can be a bit slow in possession and gets caught as a result sometimes.

10/4 Kemosabe and McChiellini.. like this.
  20. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Gave him a bit of stick but he was good when he came on. Plugged gaps and his passing was good..

One the best penalties of the day as well..

Sgt Neppers* and Wllm like this.