1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Timothy Weah

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Henrik 07, Jan 7, 2019.

Discuss Timothy Weah in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

3. mickcfc91

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - Scott Brown .. All Time - Lubo n henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Wiley Maley
    He looks very good

bagforlife and Tommy25 like this.
  4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

5. Account Deactivated Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Look forward to him being on the bench for the first 7 matches him coming on and being pretty good only for his ACL to go and we send him back to PSG

6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

TIMOTHY WEAH has revealed he dreams of following in his legendary father’s footsteps.

The highly-rated striker has joined Celtic on a six-month loan from PSG.

His dad is former AC Milan superstar and World Player of the Year George Weah, now president of his native Liberia.

The 18-year-old said: “I’d like to thank my father for opening the door to so many opportunities.

“You know what he’s done in the past with his career and I’m now at a point where I have the bar set really high for me.

“You will always have those comparisons, but I am really ambitious and I feel anything is possible with hard work and dedication.

“Hopefully, one day I will get there. And if I don’t, I’ll still know I gave it my all.

“If I ever reach that world-class level, I’d be proud of myself and proud of my parents for helping to get me to that sort of level.

“Right now, it’s a dream come true to have had the start I have.

“Now it’s all about hard work and putting in all the extra training sessions to become a better player.”

Weah revealed his old man urged him to jump at the chance of working with Celts manager Brendan Rodgers until the end of the season.

He said: “I spoke to him about coming to Scotland a few weeks ago when we were discussing the terms of the deal and he said it was a good decision.

“He said to go with my heart and that if I felt it was the right decision, ‘Then you are a grown boy and you know what you need to do with your career’.

“He believes in Brendan Rodgers and his system. He believes in the gaffer and what he plans to do.

“My dad had watched his work with what he did at Swansea and then at Liverpool.

“My mum loved it when he was coaching Liverpool.

“I was a young kid watching that too and everyone knows Brendan.

“Him explaining to me who his players are, the team-mates I will have and what I have to do to get in to his team made this the perfect team to join.

“It’s been a long wait, but I’m happy and grateful to be here with this beautiful club.

“I’m honoured to be able to have the clover of Celtic across my heart.

“It’s a true blessing because I went through hard times these past few months, with not playing and always watching from the sidelines.

“It’s fantastic to get an offer from such a great club and one which is a historic club to represent.

“I’m only 18, but, at the same time, I have high expectations of myself.

“I know I can push myself to be able to get minutes and time with the big boys.

“I know I can do it and that’s what sets me off sometimes.

“It’s all a learning experience and it’s all about maturing.

“I feel these last few months have really moulded me into a better player and a much more mature young man.”

BORN into footballing royalty.

On top of that, the son of an actual President, no less.

Timothy Weah has had to live with the perception he’s had an easy life.

But the teenager insists it’s hard graft that’s got him where he is — and it’s what will take him to where he wants to get to.

He’s gone from New York to Paris and is now heading for Glasgow.

But Celtic’s new signing from PSG is ready for the work he’s got ahead of him to convince the world he’s not just the son of a famous father.

George Weah was one of the best players of his generation.

But, while his boy dreams of emulating him, he knows shaking off the comparisons with his old man will be tough.

Asked what kind of player he was, Weah — known as Timo — thought for a second and said: “I guess I would use one word to describe myself — determined.

“I don’t really like to give up. I’m a hard worker.

“People believed that I was born with a silver spoon in my mouth — but I fought for everything that I have. Going to BW Gottschee to Red Bull to PSG to Celtic, I fought for that.

“My dad is not on the field playing for me. So I would say determination is what I have.

“It’s hard, you know, having a father who’s done what he’s done.

“You have to be yourself and express yourself. Determination is what I need to use to come here to Celtic and prove myself and fight.

“Listen, it’s not a burden having a famous football name.

“No. No, no, no. It’s a blessing. I would say it’s a blessing because, for me as a player, it pushes me to be better and to live up to that name.

“I feel like * blessed me with this name for a reason and it’s up to me to put two and two together to become the player I can be.”

Weah sounded genuinely humble and grounded as he sat with a handful of Scottish reporters in the Celtic team hotel.

But this is no ordinary kid from an ordinary family.

As he chatted, his mother Clar — the first lady of Liberia — sat with a burly security guard standing close by, watching everyone’s movements.

Asked what that is like, the teenager shrugged and added: “I don’t look at all that. I don’t have security. My parents do. I live like a normal 18-year-old playing football in Europe.

“I try to keep my life fairly simple. That’s important to me. Staying humble is really important — being humble, praying to *, being faithful, all that stuff will help me in the long run.

“That’s the lifestyle that I like to live, I don’t know if other people like to live like that but I do.

“Not do too much, just be yourself, show you’re a genuine and sincere person and all good things will happen for you.”

Like any emerging talent in football these days, dealing with the temptations of life isn’t always easy.

But Weah is prepared for that, adding: “Being an 18-year-old ‘football player’ — among the best 18-year-olds in the world, as some people might say — there are temptations.

“There are girls, there’s going out to parties, there’s doing this, there’s doing that, there is drinking and blah blah blah.

“But at the end of the day it all comes down to maturity and what you have to do as a man to reach that next level.

“You have to be disciplined and make sacrifices.

“Even if you are the type of person that wants to party all the time, you can’t, because your sport is important. If we didn’t have this we’d be in school doing regular stuff. So you should look at this as a blessing, being able to do something you love.

“I cherish this so much and that’s how I look at it and how I live that life.”

At PSG Weah sits two pegs along from Neymar in the changing room, with the Brazilian superstar one of his close pals.

He laughed and added: “Yeah, there is me, another player Meunier, and then Neymar is right there.

“This summer when I was in New York we managed to bump into each other four times.

“Yeah, of course I’m really friendly with them and they are great guys.

“When you’re on a team with them you see them every day, you get to know them personally and watching those players in training really helps you.

“You see the level they are at and you want to get to that level and you want to train with that type of intensity. It really helps you a lot. It helps you improve really fast. That’s what I’ve been doing this past while, just learning and taking in everything I can.”

Weah knows Neymar isn’t isn’t too popular at Celtic for his diving antics down the years, but the teenager smiled and added: “I feel he is a misunderstood guy because Neymar is one of the best players in the world and he’s going to get hit.

“He is a target in every game. I guess it’s a form of protection for him, not to get injured.

“I think people can be a bit hard on him but, at the end of the day, he provides for his team.

“He wins games and that’s what matters. I think that’s what people have to start looking at. He’s a decisive player and that’s the most important thing.

“I didn’t go to him and speak to him one-on-one about coming to Celtic but I kinda spoke to other team-mates like Thomas Meunier and Dani Alves.

“They said it’s good to go out and get experience and they felt Celtic was the best club because you’re getting that. It’s all in the package — great team, great supporters, great stadium, great coaching staff, so it’s a great place to come and learn.”

That’s now all Weah wants to do at Celtic. But stepping out from the shadow of his famous father — and scoring the type of goals he did throughout his career — won’t ever be easy.

He added: “I’ve seen the clips — there’s that goal when he takes the ball in his own penalty box and takes it to the other goal. It’s amazing.

“I’ve never seen anyone do that so I’m blessed to have a father who did.”

Weah is clear as to the sacrifices he will have to make if he is to achieve his goals, saying: “Being an 18 year-old ‘football player’ – among the best 18 year-olds in the world, as some people might say – there are temptations.

“There are girls, there’s going out to parties, there’s doing this, there’s doing that, there is drinking and blah blah blah. But, at the end of the day, it all comes down to maturity and what you have to do as a man to reach that next level.

“You have to be disciplined and make sacrifices. Even if you are the type of person that wants to party all the time, you can’t, because your sport is important. If we didn’t have this we’d be in school doing regular stuff. So you should look at this as a blessing, being able to do something you love. I cherish this so much and that’s how I look at it and how I live that life.”

While he spoke at length of his knowledge of Celtic, Weah also revealed he’s boned up on some of his new team-mates. He said: “I’ve watched some of the games and tried to get to know the players. I’ve played as Celtic on Fifa to try and get to know the names that way.

“Mikey Johnston I know from the Uefa Youth League, I have played against him. [Mikael] Lustig is with Sweden and I’ve watched him. Odsonne Edouard, Olivier Ntcham are here as with Dedryck Boyata who I know was at Manchester City. So it’s interesting getting to know all these players. It’s also a different type of football and I’m looking forward to getting started.”

And, he insisted, he has no preference as to where he wants to play, adamant he’ll just be happy to play.

He said: “I’m really versatile. I like to play anywhere the coach needs me. It’s great that you can play on the left, the right or centre. Wherever the coach needs me to do the job, I’ll play. That’s what I’m here for, to provide for the team and help the team in any way. I’m here to learn and that’s what’s important for me.”

Tommy25 likes this.
  7. davidhannah

What a life this kids got. He's living the dream. But he seems so switched on. Humble and mature beyond his years. Without doubt is here to score for fun, train hard and head home to Paris where he's signed for 4 years. Doesn't strike me as the kind of kid who's going to moan. Great signing.

Tommy25 and Rydo1888* like this.
  8. Sonic Reducer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mr Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    Seems a very level headed kid...
    I like the cut of his jib.

Tommy25 and StPauli1916 like this.
  9. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    I think when asked he will put in big efforts,maybe,just maybe he wil be here for 2019/20 season???

Tommy25 likes this.
  10. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

To the tune of beautiful Sunday:

It's the Tim, Tim, Tim, Timothy Weahhh
    From the U, U, U, USAAAA

11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

14. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Him and sinclair are in so many pics together lol

15. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

Always on the move after a pass, something we lack at times. Looks quality.

Tommy25 likes this.
  16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

17. stew37

Looking forward to seeing him play but I'm not so fond of the fuss that's made over a 6 month loan signing. I know it's mostly the media's doing, but by the time he gets settled and gets a game, he'll be * off again.

All the best to him though, hopefully has the best * 6 months anyone ever had in a Celtic shirt.

MagicBallBhoy and ddub11 like this.
  18. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Some set of baws on him.

Tommy25 likes this.
  19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Safe to say that’s Brown done.

Can’t come back from that.

Tommy25 and MacEwan like this.
  20. James Gold Member Gold Member

Has he got a squad number yet ?