1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Transfers/Transfer Rumours Thread

Discussion in 'World Football' started by holy pope, Dec 19, 2011.

Discuss The Transfers/Transfer Rumours Thread in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Seems a bargain decent player too

2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

3. FCBarca

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Depth & leadership, short term fixes with Balde on the horizon and a blue chip RB down the line

With Kounde signing, it only leaves the Bernardo possibility that is predicated on Frenkie's departure

4. FCBarca

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Tic toc

5. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    The mental part here is…they could buy them…and not be able to register them

6. FCBarca

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    First they were doomed, no money to buy much less attract top players, now they won’t be able to register them

The mental thing is assuming no strategy is at work. Similar things were said last season and they succeeded in signing and registering players

Perhaps pundits haven’t a clue

7. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    It’s not pundits i was going by? I don’t believe for one second barca won’t be able to register them all…. They’ll be too in with the Spanish authorities to let that happen. Barca may be in debt, but imagine how much the government would lose in tax from their players if they were no more

8. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    I've been to see Barcelona 6 or 7 times in my life at the Nou Camp and right now I can't think of a team I actively despise more. Hope they go bust. If teams like that, with hundreds of millions of pounds of revenue are able to spend beyond their means, what does it mean for everyone else? An absolute joke club.

9. FCBarca

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    At least you’ve acknowledged your biases even if you choose to sidestep your previous claims of the transfers being impossible

No football club generates more revenue than Barça. Your hopes of bankruptcy coming to fruition are just as improbable but consistent with your line of ‘logic’

10. Maestro 08

They are reportedly up to their eye balls in debt yet throwing money around like there's no tomorrow. It is a bit obscene let's be honest.

11. FCBarca

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    If they cannot be successful on the pitch, there will be no tomorrow. These are measures to address the mess/debt/wages Laporta inherited

Of course it is unprecedented like many things of late but so are the circumstances under which he took office. You could make austerity measures and flounder for years like United and hope you can continue to generate revenue while failing on the pitch to get yourself out of the hole but it also makes you ripe for a sale of the club to some billionaire/state. TV rights would decrease, La Masia would suffer, targets would look less likely to arrive and generally all facets of the club would suffer

It's not as if they are simply signing crazy targets on crazy wages, they are adhering to a conservative wage structure - it's why Dembele never got the big payday he envisioned for himself. All the targets are about building a future coupled with youth talents from within La Masia and abroad.

The levers are a roll of the dice that can damage the club's future if they are not successful but considering Laporta is the most successful President in the club's history coached by the most decorated player in the club's history I feel confident

You get lemons, make lemonade

Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
  12. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Some speech but no *'s buying it :giggle1:

13. Maestro 08

They got themselves in this mess by careless financial practices. Spending more isn't the long term fix. Living within your means is. I absolutely advocate them suffering the fallout of their excesses. It's financial doping imo and I think it's obscene. It will come home to roost eventually just ask the huns.

14. FCBarca

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    They is not accurate. The previous board got them in this mess over 12 years, the beauty of a democratic club is that you can course correct

I have not run a billion dollar business so I am in no position to claim to be an authority but I know Laporta has run this club and reached its greatest period in history...plus, he loves the club - he is cule through & through. So yes, I trust him to do what is best for the club

15. FCBarca

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Vamos a ver

16. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    What are you talking about? Barcelona had the 4th highest revenue in 21/22. Behind Man City, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich. So, 4 clubs have generated more income than you this year alone. Remember, revenue isn't profit. It's all well and good having £600m in revenue.. but where are you spending it?

Secondly, it's ironic you say I'm biased. I * loved watching Barcelona and there will be few people in the world who love Xavi Hernandez as much as I do. Lionel Messi will always be the best player ever for me but my favourite player of all time, outside Celtic has always been Xavi. He makes every best XI ever for me, the best playmaker the world has ever seen. I would be biased in Barcelonas favour if it was just. As I said, I've flew across to watch Barcelona 6 times in the last 12 years. £1000 on tickets alone for an El Classico match back in 2016. Was it worth it? You're * right it was. One of the best experiences of my life.

However, this is where this goes too far for me and why I can't actively support what they're doing. You've spent what? £150m on players this window? £45m on Lewendowski, £55m on Rapinha and £50m on Kounde? Plus Christiansen and Kessie on free transfers. Decent business for a club with £1.1b in debt. That's not where I struggle with this though, splurging all this money on players and yet, you can't pay back the £17m in wages you owe Frenkie De Jong. Then, attempting to force him out of the club because you need him out the door so you can register other players and you need the cash. It's a disgrace.

Let's not forget either, Barcelona, Real Madrid and Juventus are still absolutely convinced about a closed shop competition in the form of a super league. Laporta still going on about it now. Fighting UEFA in the courts. Absolutely disgraceful. Barcelona couldn't give two hoots about football. What does that mean for clubs like Celtic?

More than a club? You're correct. They've turned into far much more. Not something I'll be supporting from now on, though. Greedy, vain and arrogant.

Maybe they won't go bust. Selling 10% of your tv rights for 25 years and nearly 50% of your merchandising for 50 years is a very dangerous game to play. That might give you £500m now, but you're giving back far more in years to come. £208m up front but paying back £400m at least over 25 years? Absolutely mental.

All the while, having the audacity to complain about the likes of PSG and Man City for where they are getting their finances from. Unbelievable. * unreal man.

17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

19. FCBarca

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
  20. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

So Marcos Alonso signing and now potentially Bernardo Silva.

Just beyond belief.