1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The NFL Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Dáibhí, Jul 13, 2014.

Discuss The NFL Thread in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Dáibhí

A new thread for the new season starting.

Go Bills!

[​IMG]

:icon_mrgreen:

2. Markybhoy

The Bills? Set yourself up for a lifetime of heartache there, Daibhi.

3. PeeKay Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I cannot wait for the new season! Who DAT!!

[​IMG]

4. Dáibhí

I'm a Toronto sports fan Marky, so heartache is just a part of life i'm afraid :54:

5. The Golden God I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds Gold Member

Right FFS. This has gone too far.

6. BuckeyeBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Gary Hopper
    Fav Celtic Song:
    cheer up Walter Smith
    Oh really? More than GO BROWNS!!!:50:

7. Markybhoy

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPq2or11HYA"]Ray Lewis | King of Baltimore - YouTube[/ame]

Oh sugaa. I miss you. Greatest LB ever. :notworthy

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2014
  8. Markybhoy

Rex Ryan's getting bolshy. He reckons the Patriots 'need to worry about us'. Can't see the sith lord and Tom Brady losing too much sleep over the thought of the Jets winning the AFC East.

Gotta love Rexy's optimism though. I would have him back as the Ravens DC tomorrow.

9. The Golden God I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds Gold Member

Certainly not. Pats will only lose sleep thinkin about how amazing their defence will be with Revis. And how many time he'll pick off Geno and the dog killer

10. Kalashnikov

Well I'm not sure if I'm a fan of the Raiders or not but I guess my focus will be on that team once again.

I'm looking forward to see what Cam Newton will do in Carolina this season. Just saw an interview with him about him being matured over the last couple of seasons and learning from the top class QBs in the league. This together with the season he had last year could result in great things for the Panthers.

11. C2911

Wouldn't surprise me to see the Seahawks repeat. I don't really have a team, but all of my cousins in BC like Seattle so I have absoft spot for them. I've been to Seattle a few times as well and they really like their football there. I don't particularly care as long as the games are entertaining though.

12. Towardinho

Looking forward to defending my title this year in the fantasy league and hopefully the Vikings can win a few this year...will be an 8-8 season for us looking at the schedule SKOL

13. BuckeyeBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Gary Hopper
    Fav Celtic Song:
    cheer up Walter Smith
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_qShAZg2Zw"]It's on! - YouTube[/ame]

14. BuckeyeBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Gary Hopper
    Fav Celtic Song:
    cheer up Walter Smith
    NFL football is back, and there were a few noticeable changes to it
    Eric Edholm By Eric Edholm
    9 hours ago
    Shutdown Corner

The Hall of Fame Game marks the official kickoff of the 2014 NFL season, and with it came some interesting changes.

The Buffalo Bills and New York Giants had some interesting moments as the Giants ended up winning 17-13.

[ Smack talk season is back at Yahoo Sports: Sign up and play free Fantasy Football!]

NFL teams are experimenting with tablet devices to replace the old method of taking black-and-white photos to give teams images of the opponents' formations, and the new system — the sideline viewing system — can speed up the time it takes to present those personnel packages. And in color, too.

That said, it's not a perfect system just yet.

Another change was the lengthening of the extra-point attempts. The league is using the first week of the preseason to move the kicks back from the equivalent of a 19-yard kick to a 33-yarder. For the record, all three extra points were perfect Sunday.

The starters did not last long for either team in this game, but the Giants surprisingly brought Eli Manning out for a third offensive series after he was strip-sacked by the Bills' Kyle Williams on the second possession after a Giants three-and-out on their first possession.

Good decision. Manning and the Giants got their new rhythm offense moving — albeit against the Bills' second-team defense — with a 12-play, 80-yard scoring drive that culminated with a 3-yard rushing TD from Giants rookie Andre Williams, one of the standouts from the game. The fourth-round pick rushed seven times for 48 yards and that score, and looked far more than the power back he was pegged to be.

With starter Rashad Jennings (43 yards from scrimmage on 10 touches) also looking good, it might not be surprising to see the Giants lean more on the rushing attack this season than many expect from new offensive coordinator Ben McAdoo, who is coming from the Green Bay Packers' pass-heavy system.

For the Bills, the first-team offense showed little spark, and EJ Manuel and training camp star Sammy Watkins were not able to hook up. Manuel tried a fade down the left sideline to Watkins, who beat his man, but the throw was out of reach.

But their first-team defense had two impressive series, and the front four should win a lot of battles up front this season. Williams, Mario Williams, Marcel Dareus and company could be excellent this season if those first two possessions are some indication.

Of course, these games often are great opportunities not only for rookies to make their marks but also for second- and third-year players to display their growth. That is exactly what Giants QB Ryan Nassib needed after a training camp and preseason a year ago in which he struggled, and Nassib delivered with a solid game: he completed 7-of-12 passes for 139 yards and a 73-yard TD pass to Corey Washington. Nassib should play a lot this preseason, and he'll have a great chance to win the backup job to Eli Manning.

Football is here. The next week we won't have some kind of NFL action is February. That might have been the most exciting development to come out of Sunday's game in Canton, Ohio.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...a-few-noticeable-changes-to-it-035819190.html

15. BuckeyeBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Gary Hopper
    Fav Celtic Song:
    cheer up Walter Smith
    Shutdown Corner NFL Power Rankings: Pre-preseason edition
    By Frank Schwab
    August 3, 2014 11:25 AM
    Shutdown Corner

These are pre-preseason rankings. They might change a bit over the next month. We have four preseason games (and Sunday's Hall of Fame Game) to watch. Injuries will happen. Key starting jobs will be claimed. Teams will look better or worse than anticipated. So there could be some shuffling before Seattle and Green Bay kick off the regular season on Sept. 4, but here is our first look at how the teams shape up after a long, long offseason (click the team name to read an in-depth preview on that squad).

There's still parity in the NFL. It's near the end of the rankings and in the middle class. At the top though? It's four great teams and then everyone else.

The best team doesn't always win the Super Bowl. Many fans hate hearing that. They want to feel like the Super Bowl provided a definite answer on who was the best team, and the notion that the champion and the best team aren't one in the same bothers them. But that's never guaranteed in a single-game elimination tournament. All you need to win is a playoff berth and have a hot month. So the champion isn't guaranteed to come from the Patriots, Broncos, Seahawks or 49ers. But there's a big divide right now between Nos. 4 and 5.

The Patriots and Broncos each added a lot of talent to what were already the two best rosters in the AFC, either via free agency or just getting great injured players back. The 49ers and Seahawks weren't as active in free agency, but they kept the core of their great rosters and nobody in the NFC has closed the gap with them.

There are no lost-cause teams this season, but someone had to be 30, 31 and 32. There are teams in the 20s that could move up quickly. Look at the teams in the teens and realize that there are some very good teams that will be left out of the playoffs, especially in the brutal NFC. But right now, the top four are locked in pretty tight, and there's not a lot of separation between Nos. 4 and 1.

For more discussion on the power rankings, check out the first Shutdown Corner Podcast of the 2014 season (iTunes subscribers can click here or click the link below if the player doesn't appear in your browser).

32. Jacksonville Jaguars
    There are some positive things happening in Jacksonville, but there was a lot of work to be done.

31. Oakland Raiders
    They have the toughest schedule I can remember seeing.

View gallery
    .Robert Griffin III with new Washington coach Jay Gruden (AP)
    Robert Griffin III with new Washington coach Jay Gruden (AP)
    30. Washington Redskins
    If Robert Griffin III doesn't have a good year, with those receivers, something's wrong.
    29. Cleveland Browns
    Lost with all the Johnny Manziel hype is the Browns are building a pretty darn good defense.

28. Minnesota Vikings
    There really isn't any need to keep Teddy Bridgewater waiting for that long.

27. Buffalo Bills
    There's a lot of pressure on quarterback E.J. Manuel, but Sammy Watkins will help him out.

26. Tennessee Titans
    They could surprise if Jake Locker stays healthy, but is that a realistic expectation?

25. Houston Texans
    You know, I know, Andre Johnson knows ... this team isn't going to the playoffs.

24. Dallas Cowboys
    If the defense doesn't rank in the 30s, new coordinator Rod Marinelli deserves a nice raise.

23. New York Jets
    If they don't succeed, it won't be because they lack confidence.

22. Atlanta Falcons
    Hopefully Julio Jones picks up right where he left off last season, when a foot injury ended a monster start.

21. New York Giants
    They added a ton of free agents, and if even half of them hit they'll be in good shape.

20. Miami Dolphins
    Excuse me if I wait to buy the Lamar Miller hype until the Dolphins just once show they trust him in a game.

19. Kansas City Chiefs
    A huge step back this offseason after such a promising 2013.

18. Baltimore Ravens
    The bad news for the Ravens about Ray Rice's short two-game suspension is it means the team might have to suffer through the lumbering 2013 version of Rice on the field for 14 long games.

[Smack talk season is back at Yahoo Sports: Sign up and play free Fantasy Football!]

View gallery
    .Matthew Stafford (Getty Images)
    Matthew Stafford (Getty Images)
    17. Detroit Lions
    No more excuses, Matthew Stafford.
    16. San Diego Chargers
    I'm starting to think Mike McCoy might be a really good coach.

15. Arizona Cardinals
    For the money the Cardinals gave Patrick Peterson, he better be a defensive player of the year candidate. And he could be.

14. St. Louis Rams
    If they start the season using Tavon Austin as a conventional slot receiver in an uncreative offense, I give up.

13. Carolina Panthers
    Too many glaring holes (receiver, offensive line, secondary) to predict a NFC South repeat.

12. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    Hey, someone's going to be 2014's surprise team.

11. Pittsburgh Steelers
    Really looking forward to seeing rookie linebacker Ryan Shazier play. He is going to be tremendous.

10. Cincinnati Bengals
    Andy Dalton could throw for 6,000 yards and it won't matter to everyone if he doesn't win a playoff game.

9. Green Bay Packers
    I could be talked into Aaron Rodgers carrying this team up the list in a hurry.

8. Indianapolis Colts
    Hakeem Nicks is the guy you'll want to draft in fantasy. Big rebound year coming.

View gallery
    .Jay Cutler (AP)
    Jay Cutler (AP)
    7. Chicago Bears
    I don't know how anyone defends this offense. If Jay Cutler doesn't make his second Pro Bowl this season, it's not happening.
    6. Philadelphia Eagles
    Once the Eagles locked in on Chip Kelly's schemes and Nick Foles was given the quarterback job, they went 7-1 in the second half. Expect more of the same.

5. New Orleans Saints
    Drew Brees, 2014 NFL MVP.

4. New England Patriots
    If Rob Gronkowski does stay healthy for 16 games, this team goes from very good to great.

3. Denver Broncos
    How many AFC champions add six blue-chip players (Ryan Clady, Von Miller, DeMarcus Ware, T.J. Ward, Aqib Talib, Emmanuel Sanders) like the Broncos did?

2. Seattle Seahawks
    Still a great roster, but defending a Super Bowl championship is really hard.

1. San Francisco 49ers
    Colin Kaepernick is going to rise to an elite level, and he's going to lift the 49ers to a championship along the way.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/shutd...lYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkA1ZJUDQ3NF8x

16. James Gold Member Gold Member

17. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    The majority of Pre-season games start tomorrow, although Giants and Bills played the other night.

Just watched the 1st episode of Atlanta Falcons Hard-Knocks series. Behind the scenes stuff is quite interesting.

18. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    Pre-season

49ers v Ravens on NFL Network

Colts vJets on CBS (live now)

If you have livemediaplayer on the I-pad, type in the aforementioned channels into the search bar and select the top option of results.

19. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    Good couple of runs from Carlos Hyde and Johnathan Martin starting as well for 49ers.

C J Mosley starting for Ravens.

Steve Smith,Torrey Smith, Dennis Pitta and Jacoby Jones all with a reception. Ray Rice and Bernard Pierce with a couple of runs.

Pierce with the TD. Ravens up 7-3.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2014
  20. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    10-10 Colts and Jets at HT

Luck and Geno Smith with 1 possession each. Vick and Hasslebeck playing the rest of the half. Colts lost 2 OL players in the 1st half to injury. Chris Johnson with the Jets TD

Kapernick and Flacco also with 1 possession each. Blane Gabbert replaced Kapernick, he's been hit and miss so far.

10-3 Ravens in the 2nd quarter

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2014