1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The MLS 2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'World Football' started by seamus1967, May 30, 2011.

Discuss The MLS 2017 Season Thread in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Not the kind of form that augers well for a run at the title with the playoffs just 2 games away.

2. Farmer

Early rendering of Toronto FC's stadium expansion and roof addition.

[​IMG]

3. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson

Toronto certainly has been very ambitious on and off the field heading into the 2014 MLS season.

4. Diegan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    And for the first time in a few years Chicago is looking intriguing with some of the younger players they've picked up. The league is getting really interesting with some of the acquisitions the different clubs have made during the offseason. And then it'll be cool to watch some of the USL matches online (they're all free) to see how the 2nd teams/feeder do.

5. Seosamh Máirtín

The season kicks off today! Hope Seattle slaughter Kansas City.

6. The Celtbot

:38:

Portland Timbers :50:

7. Diegan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    A combination of the wet turf and coming on directly after Chelsea-Tottenham is making this kind of brutal to watch.

8. Oak Aged

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lambert , Brown , Di Canio , Cadete , Thom , Pierre .
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Brutal is correct .

Good piece on Deadspin about the MLS . Brutally honest . .

9. Diegan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    It was bullshit Europoser posturing. MLS is a decent league, that match wasn't; but there are many matches all over Europe every week that are far from decent as well. The only positive out of that article was the excellent rebuttal from Bobby Warshaw which they (surprisingly) posted.

Besides, even if it was League One quality, I'd still watch it since it's my league and I know/grew up with some of the players. Maybe it's not popular outside of places like California because most of the rest of the country is terrible at the sport and don't have the local tie and general culture like we do.

10. Farmer

Vancouver dismantles NYRB to start the season.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIk5LeH2z-Y"]Highlights: Vancouver Whitecaps FC 4 - 1 New York Red Bulls - YouTube[/ame]

11. C2911

The MLS gets a hard time of it sometimes. Yeah, the quality isn't fantastic, but there are definitely enjoyable games.

I went to Vancouver - Montreal in May and it was a decent enough game. Good atmosphere too.

12. Nasser

here it is
    http://deadspin.com/getting-ready-for-mls-allow-us-to-convince-you-otherwi-1537875746

Yeah the article did seem bit over the top there are a lot of people that would love to see the MLS go under for various reasons. But I can't see it going anywhere as I think it's the most professional run league around but there is no patience in America they want it to be the best straight away and as it's not some won't go near it. The youth will decide if soccer is to stay in the US. I like the MLS some games are very dull but so are a lot games in EPL which is so overrated I really struggle to watch the EPL these days. The US national team looks quite weak going into this summers WC I think they will struggle and have gone backwards if anything. They miss players like Brian McBride and Donovan is not the player he once was and Dempsey is average imo. The national team not doing well could really effect the MLS so I think they need to sort out their youth system.

13. Diegan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    The youth system went through an overhaul about 3-4 years ago - Jurgen Klinsmann was named the technical director in addition to head coach and he has been involved in the changes. You're getting a lot of young guys coming up through their own club for the first time in American soccer and it's helping development in a huge way. Guys like DeAndre Yedlin, Diego Fagundez, Wil Trapp, Kellyn Acosta, Gyasi Zardes, etc., have a pathway to first-team MLS soccer that guys 5 years ago just didn't have. The US has a huge quality gap, bar Michael Bradley and Brad Guzan, between the Donovan/Dempsey/Bocanegra generation and the Trapp/Yedlin generation. If the World Cup had been last year I think we'd have done ok but the US isn't deep enough to go through these dry generations.

Going back to the league and patience from Americans - it won't require much. The sports market in the US dwarfs the market in other places and MLS really only has to make a dent. The new TV deal should see a decent increase in the salary cap (as it is it rises faster than inflation every year) and thus more quality. The league has never been about the short term - their goal is to be the Western hemisphere's best league by 2022, not 2015. But I think it's a pretty realistic goal considering that MLS just passed MLB for the first time in the 12-17 demographic.

14. Farmer

The young generation right now in N. America is embracing the sport like never before. MLS as the western hemisphere's top league is a lofty goal but not entirely unrealistic considering the massive increase in popularity with the youth. It will never surpass the NFL in the States or the NHL in Canada but I could see it being #2 in both countries eventually.

15. Nasser

The re-branding of Chivas is a good step and keeping them in LA is good idea. The new expansion teams should improve the MLS. Miami (David Beckham team) should be interesting but I hope they don't call it Miami Vice lol hopefully they go with Miami FC. Orlando have been picked I don't know anything about them apart from their Fiorentina style kits. It looks like the other teams are NYC the "farm team" which I think might work but again it means another soulless team in NY. I wish Man City would have bought the NY Cosmos but kept the name and made money of the Cosmos brand and giving them young players I don't like the idea of NY City it's lame. I always had a soft spot for the Tampa Bay Rowdies but can't see them ever being in the MLS maybe they will go with Atlanta.

16. Fiferbhoy1991

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    There is no way the MLS will ever be the best league in the west. Spanish, Italian, German and English leagues will always be stronger. The US is about 100 years behind Europe in building a strong football culture and tradition

17. Diegan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    All of those countries are either part or wholly in the Eastern hemisphere, a common term for the "Old World" in the US. I thought it was clear I meant countries in the Americas (the term I probably should have used).

Besides, I think "ever" is a long time. In a hundred years? Why not. The US has showed in other areas that history and tradition aren't always relevant to strength and power.

18. Hal

without a promotion/relegation system the MLS just won't be a very fun league to watch. Who wants to watch a league where bad teams aren't punished with relegation and new clubs don't come up? Not only that, instead of having a proper league title, they just take the top 12 in the standings and hold playoffs to decide the league title. LOL.

19. Farmer

The playoff/cup system for the top clubs is the way all North American leagues work. The Supporter's Shield goes to the top team over the season.

20. Diegan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    The hundreds of millions of people who enjoy watching MLB, the NHL, the NFL, and the NBA.