1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The MLS 2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'World Football' started by seamus1967, May 30, 2011.

Discuss The MLS 2017 Season Thread in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Seosamh Máirtín

That's their problem, not ours. :icon_mrgreen:

Did you watch the game?

2. Diegan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    The last few minutes yeah. Watched the Seattle match beforehand.

3. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    That late Segares OG really was a kick in the nuts for Fire. Now it is back to must win time on Wednesday against Toronto to stay alive.

4. Hal

eh..I'm from the U.S and I hate franchise football. It doesn't work.

Portland and Seattle have great support but they are punished for it because of crap teams like Chivas and New England. Seattle has revenues of around $50 million a year but they are only allowed to spend $3 million + 3 high priced players (called designated players) a year. Why is this? Because if they were to spend more it just wouldn't be fair to Chivas. So fochin what?

It would be like making Celitc take on St Mirren's budget. And then they wonder why MLS clubs cannot compete against Mexican clubs in the Champions League.

5. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Hal I imagine the hope is one day the league feels its strong enough to not go down this route where its a single entity concept. But while the league and football is established and going nowhere now it still has a long way to go financially before that is the case. Seattle is a model to the rest of the league no doubt but the league as a whole is not ready to sepearte away from the single entity concept.

Chivas USA is a seperate issue after the emergence of the blatant rcism which that disgusting club is filled with from top to bottom. The league has been very silent on this and I wonder if this is for legal reasons as they search for a way to get rid of Chivas hopefully who are by far the biggest disgrace in MLS in my opinion and not at all just for their poor quality on the field.

6. Diegan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    And those three high priced players are about 8-9 m/year, which between the three of them is over twice what CUSA spend at all. It doesn't seem to be hurting them - they have the most points/game out of any side in MLS. And it doesn't seem to hurt LA as they won the last two MLS cups.

But because MLS is run as a single entity, the entire outlay of the league cannot be more than its expenditure, which if Seattle suddenly started spending 25-30million it would be. American owners are used to American franchises with salary caps - it's a proven business model. Your argument falls flat upon the realization that without this business model the owners would not have invested in it in the first place, as many of them have said before.

7. Aye OK

I watch the MLS youtube channel. Its actually really good, I'm surprised by the standard.

Seattle Sounders are my team. The atmosphere there would put most European teams to shame. One day I would like to go.

8. Nasser

It was a big mistake from the start. It was always club solely created for Mexican people they went for what they thought was the easy option at the time "oh lets create a Mexican club which will tap into the Mexican and latino market" Which they never needed to do as Mexicans love soccer anyway and most clubs in the MLS have loads of latino fans in the stands. Calling it Chivas USA was a big mistake the same mistake I see them making with the new club in New York which is a American version of Man City. Having feeder mini clubs is a joke the league will never be taken serious if if they do that. They should brought back MetroStars or even Cosmos. MLS should not try and copy the EPL there is no atmosphere in EPL games anymore so why copy a soulless league?!. Hopefully New York City will find their own culture but if they start singing Blue Moon and wearing City shirts it really will be a joke even more of a joke that the sports drink team in New York.

9. Diegan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I got to see Seattle and Celtic play a few years ago, it was a really good time. Their fans are pretty entertaining but it's a relaxed atmosphere at the same time.

Agreed, they could even be affiliated with Chivas but all they had to do was say "C.D. Los Angeles" or something. The thing with LA is that the residents there have more pride in their city than anywhere else I've ever been. Some of those barrios are rough and soccer/futbol is the number one sport by a mile and a half. It could have been a very, very successful club if it had been set up as a club in its own right. And as for NY - at least NYCFC haven't named themselves Manchester City USA, but I'm uneasy about how the partnership will play out until I see it in action.

10. Hal

what? 8-9m a year? Dempsey is on $5 mil a year. Martins is on $1.7 mil and the next highest paid player is the GK Michael Gspurning who is on $285k. The rest of the club they have to squeeze in to under $3mil total. Eddie Johnson is only making $156k. And because there is no free agency in MLS he can't get his market value in the league can he?

Single entity is a horrible structure for a football league. And you'll never convince me its good (or needed) so don't even try. I understand having financial restraints which i'm for but that doesn't mean you have to have every club owned by the league and have the league be the holder of all contracts. Sorry, but that's barely a real league. A real league is independent clubs who have their own wage budgets. MLS paid Dempsey transfer fee!! Not Seattle. MLS frickin paid the fee. How is that fair? It's a farce of a league structure dude.

11. Seosamh Máirtín

12. Seosamh Máirtín

Well, more bullshit. Pretty much the same as the Celtic game in midweek. My team has all the guts and vigor, yet no substance. Meanwhile, the opposition scores a goal from nothing...

Argggghhhhh! :31:

Only our second loss from June, though, so I expect us to qualify for the playoffs.

13. Diegan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Watched that match and it was tough. But one play that stuck out - * Marvell Wynne. :56: For those of you who might not know - this guy is legitimately maybe one of the top 5 fastest players in the world. He was considered one of the fastest 100m sprinters in the US in High School (ran a 10.39 as a 17 year old, conceivably could have run sub-10s if he chose that career) but chose soccer over track as, at the youth age, it made him pretty much dominant. Speed is pretty much his only skill even now, but he's made a decent career out of it. But seeing him run down Ryan Johnson (one of the fastest players in the league in his own right) was just like watching a freak show. Incredible.

Anyways, excited for LA-Seattle, which should be one of the more important matches in the run-in to the playoffs.

14. Seosamh Máirtín

If I recall, he made a complete balls of getting the team forward creatively, and so had to make amends.

Fair to say, he's a * tank, as well. :smiley-laughing002:

15. Farmer

Whitecaps in Seattle tonight and need to win out the season for a chance to make the playoffs. Should be a good match as Vancouver and Seattle have a great rivalry and Seattle has the best crowd in the league.

If anyone wants to see a good example of MLS tonight would be a good one to catch.

16. mls1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura and Moravcic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I'm still hitting a Beamer I have my own thread.

17. Seosamh Máirtín

Hope Seattle thrash them. We have a double-header coming up against Vancounver, our final 2 games in fact, after the San Jose match. Defeat is not an option, for us! Playoffs have to be reached.

18. Farmer

All * is breaking loose in the Seattle Portland game right now. Seattle completely falling apart!

19. IrishNeymar

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    F**king *, such a frustrating game to watch

20. Seosamh Máirtín

That's 5 games on the bounce that the Sounders have failed to win. :smiley-laughing002: