1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Irish Football Team Thread

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Conor1994, Nov 22, 2010.

Discuss The Irish Football Team Thread in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    The Mo Johnston of international football

The IRA, Fear Dearg and Marie like this.
  2. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Personally couldn't give a * about Ireland and what they achieve, but I agree that he shoulda been tied to a team and that's that, he's supposedly already played Friendlies 3 times for the full squad.

Regardless of how young he is, he wasn't very fkn slow in demanding more dough just recently.

Cant stand players who do this, I'll say the same if Dembele does the same, although as long as he's at Celtic he'll not get it as tight :D

3. clonbhoy

People can have two nationalities, or more. The big problem here is the portion of the Irish psyche that sees Irishness and Englishness as incompatible.
    If he was an Irish-American who had done this there wouldn't be half the furore.

4. Fear Dearg

Fav Celtic Player:
    Pat Bonnar
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Over and Over
    A Shannon lad,captain of Inters youths has has been trained with the senior squad and has now been called into it yet cant get a game in the Irish underage set up

5. Irish Republic

The future is bright

6. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I’d be surprised if anyone at the FAI knew he existed.

7. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    Big difference when the English occupied our island for 800 years and still occupy a portion to this day. English fans to this day sing negatively about the Irish

freitassen and The IRA like this.
  8. clonbhoy

And that has nothing to do with Declan Rice. It also doesn't mean that all English people or English fans hate the Irish and vice-versa. To Declan Rice it is two sides of his family. I am an Irish Republican who lives in England. My partner's English and if we have kids, they will be both. Not every decision is about 1916, 1981 or anything else.
    He has two nationalities and chose the one that was best for his career. A pragmatic, if disappointing, decision.

9. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    I'm pointing out why "If he was an Irish-American who had done this there wouldn't be half the furore"

freitassen likes this.
  10. clonbhoy

Exactly. It is our prejudice against the English is the main issue. Declan doesn't have that. He doesn't see Irish and English as incompatible. We are judging his decision based on our view of the world, not his.

11. Irish Republic

My only issue with him was his 3 senior caps for us. I think while you might be right in regards of a lot of people struggling to understand duel nationality when it comes to England ( they aren't very open minded when it comes to this situation) you are also dismissive of the other facts. I believe he feels more English and it's not about other factors people are mentioning such as money . The fact England are guaranteed to play at world cups would probably be a big thing for him also.

12. clonbhoy

How he feels isn't a fact though, it's an opinion. He probably does feel he can win a tournament with England, rightly or wrongly. What is a fact is English players make a lot of money as they are more marketable and seemingly have a transfer premium, which I good agent will filter down to the player. Eric Dier is selling razors ffs, I mean who buys a razor because he uses it?

13. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    Not necessarily. Once he started talking about the possibility of playing for another country I did not want him. It was pretty obvious the only decision he was making was wondering would he get regular games for England and if this was the case he was switching. begs the question did he only play for Ireland at underage etc. because he couldn't get a game for England. Makes me wonder if he ever had any actual allegiance to Ireland.

The fact that it is England is only icing on the cake but it's not just an Irish thing I'm pretty sure the Welsh and the Scottish would be similarly *.

14. clonbhoy

I feel that the part in bold highlights that prejudice. He is a dual national. He played for Ireland because he is Irish.

The fact you chose the Welsh and Scottish only bears it out. If it was Belgium, as I mentioned previously, people would be a lot more understanding. * it, if it was Wales people would be more understanding.

15. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    So you think if he was offered England underage football he would have declined.

Where's the prejudice? If it was a German born player of Irish heritage then I could apply the criteria substituting Germany for England. Would I be * if this hypothetical player left for Germany? Yes I most certainly would.

16. clonbhoy

No, he would have taken the opportunity because he is English. He was happy to play for Ireland because he is Irish and would have played his whole international career with Ireland until he was given a choice. He was forced to choose between his two nationalities and he chose England.

That is fair enough, but you have to accept that a lot of the furore is because it is England and Irish people can't get their head around that he sees himself as English and Irish.

17. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Absolutely gutted about Rice. He was basically the difference between us being half decent or completely * over the next few years.

18. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

It's got nothing to do with prejudice. It's completely logical to suggest he only ever played for Ireland because he couldn't get into the England set up.

He previously stated that England never showed any interest in him when he was a youngster.

19. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    I can get my head around it no problem. He's * off to another country. Regardless who the country is he is not playing for us.

Do you think given the choice of knowing we would qualify for a world cup but England would also or we would not and neither would they that we would choose the latter?

20. clonbhoy

We would still have been *. He would certainly have improved us, but we have * all else. I don't think we would have qualified with or without him.
    If a few of the young lads showing promise fulfil that he could be a bigger loss. He could have been a top class and experienced player to build the young side around.