1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The EPL

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by The Prof, Mar 11, 2023.

Discuss The EPL in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    The EPL is a bit of a glass half full for me.

Is it competitive? Definitely. But only to a certain degree.

Sometimes I look at it and wonder how on earth all these world class footballers have all managed to congregate in one league. Some if the quality on display is amazing.

Then other times I look at it and see a tenth placed team scrapping it out with a 12 placed side and I'm left scratching my head as to why such utterly dire football is considered the best league in Europe. Some of it absolutely rank rotten, and those teams would get * pasted on the continent.

The EPL has produced only 4 CL winning sides in 20 years. TWENTY YEARS.
    That's a stunningly average stat for what is being touted as the de facto European Super League.

The question as to where this squad, with this manager, would sit in their table isn't an easy one. The EPL is as unpredictable as it is predictable.

You can always tell by * November which two teams are gonna be in a race, as with with 4 or 5 are a good bet to go down. It's the middle 10 teams that are entirely impossible to predict.

I'd hazard a guess anywhere between 5th and 15th, and that's just being diplomatic.
    We wouldn't touch the likes of City etc for quality, and I'm fairly confident we'd utterly smash the * the lower half of the table.

I sincerely cannot wait for the day this EPL money bubble bursts.
    Leaving all these sugar daddy sides up to their arses in debt and watching all the best players pack their * and run off to La Liga and the Bundesliga.

Some people were outraged, strangely, by the "super league" breakaway.

I for one was * busting for it.

It would've been hilarious watching these * EPL sides like wolves, Fulham, west ham etc , sides who look down their noses at a global side like ours (as well as the likes of Ajax, Salzburg, feynoord, et Al) scramble about trying to cling to life after the big boys * off and left their league a veritable wasteland of * with zero global appeal and debts up to their *.

* donkey sides that can't even fill a 30k stadium and when they do, you can hear a * pin drop.

2. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Looking at the league this season you see teams like Brighton, Fulham and Brentford in 7-9th respectively. I’d say it would be fair to say with our current team we would be in amongst those, fighting for 7th. There’s plenty of similarities with how we play football and on a comparatively small budget.

The Prof likes this.
  3. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    I'd say it's rarely competitive, this season it is a bit more so mainly because Spurs, Liverpool and Chelsea have all been a shadow of themselves. The bottom 6 or 7 are all quite poor.
    I'm confident we would be beating their mid table Palace and Villa.

The truth is most leagues are poorer than 20 years ago because the be best are either at the top 5 clubs or will move to them if they are not.

The Prof likes this.
  4. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Comfortably mid-table with the current squad. We literally wouldn't do worse than 12th. English players are overpriced in relation to their actual ability. Meanwhile, look at Brighton's Mitoma. Tearing teams apart. And we're tapping into that same source where he came from. We have Maeda, Furuhashi, Hatate, Kobayashi, and Iwata. Oh adds physicality.

After a season, with extra funds, we buy Tomiyasu, and can replace any outgoing wingers with Mitoma/Son Heung-min/ Hwang Hee-chan. In a few seasons, we take the EPL trophy with a team full of warriors from the east.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2023
    Danny 4692 and The Prof like this.
  5. Luis1967

7-10 current squad

3-6 with and couple of transfers windows with their dosh.

6. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Ybh think we'd finish bottom half, hard to judge as players popped into that league would get a culture shock, but think we'd survive and then prosper with the money then see from there.

7. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Think you have to look beyond the player, even if the question posed is based on current squad.

It’s a merry-go-round of mercenaries, with a high number of players simply going through the motions. They couldn’t care less if they were playing for Brighton or Brentford, other than the money differential.

We’re a club that demands success and is accustomed to it. That alone would give us an edge over the majority of mid-table clubs who we would be competing with. That could be anywhere from around 7th-15th. It’s almost impossible to say where we would be within that range, because the difference at the end of the season could be a couple of wins.

8. RabS Aw fuck it Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Probably challenge Arsenal, and by Arsenal I mean their invincible season.

johnboy19 likes this.
  9. Danny 4692

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    On our day we could beat any EPL team but for as strong as our squad is, it would be much tougher playing that level of opposition week in week out, with our winning mentality though I think we could easily finish mid table first season. Clubs like Brighton and Brentffor have similar quality to us. We could've signed Toney few years back so shows we attract similar players to these clubs. Hatate is very similar to Mitoma too.

The Prof likes this.
  10. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Was reading an interview with the woman who's taken over Raiola's agency since he died and she was saying more and more that players are asking for moves to the premier league. Traditionally it was "I want to sign for Liverpool, Arsenal" etc. but now they just state Premier League not bothered about which club.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2023
    McChiellini.. and King of Kings like this.
  11. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    As the squad stands, today, we would avoid relegation I believe.

The bigger question is, how do we fair after 2-5 years of being there.

21/22 season man city took in £164m due to tv deal alone.
    Norwich at the other end took in 98million.
    Southampton ago avoid the relegation zone was £111million.

The point here is, TV money alone, we can add on at least £100million to our revenue compared to around 3.5-5m we get currently.

That added to our already existing revenue of around £80m(guessed average, at our heights under Rodgers it was 102 and on track to match that under Ange this year) then we could be looking at £180m+ revenue and that's with us standing still, doing nothing at all.

Alas....our merchandise sales would rise, our sponsorships would rise, kit deal would rise...

So conservatively, I'd say we would break £200mill with relative ease after playing the first season - that would realistically allow us to invest £100million in to the squad before we kicked off the season, knowing that money was coming back to us anyway.

So realistically, assuming we moved there full time and it's not just a hypothetical one off season without the money benefits, I think we would comfortably make mid table season one. Within 3 seasons he in Europe with ease and within 5 seasons playing for the league title.

And as an fyi, epl clubs like wolves, Southampton, Newcastle (pre take over), palace, west ham etc are under 200m revenue. But the big boys like city, Liverpool etc are 3 times or more than that.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

12. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    My head and heart tells two different stories:

Heart - 8-14

Head - 14-18

The EPL is a tough tough league, the calibre of players they have is astonishing, most benches are full of world class players. City's, Liverpools etc are beyond words. It would take a season or two to even get a first team capable of beating teams regularly, never mind filling the bench with players capable of being a starter. The scope and brand celtic have would be like a demon rising, the funds we would rake in would be astronomical, that's when English and European football would see how big a club we are. Sadly we're a big fish in a small pond, but the fish in the EPLs pond are * sharks.

13. HatsmyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    Give Ange another year or two and the EPL will be wanting to join us.

Noskeil likes this.
  14. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Been like that for years now..

The obscene money being pumped in and distributed amongst them is sickening..

You've got individual clubs in the league out spending every other league in world football combined or something during certain transfer windows..

I long for the day it all collapses..

15. HoopyT Danny McGrains Bearded Army Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    buckled :)

16. oh bhoy

ive watched a few epl games this season and the vast majority of them have been pure pish low on quality and excitment ,* this avoiding relagation chat we would comfortably finish top half with the squad of players we have now, i hope we get some of them in the champions league next season

17. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Aye but their manager is David Moyes.

johnboy19 likes this.
  18. jafa

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    I keep answering this question in reverse. How would all the clubs in the EPL compete in the SPL with the same money that we get?

johnboy19 likes this.
  19. richie87 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jonny Doyle
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    This team would struggle I think lower half, however if we could get that money and coverage with Angie style we’d be challenging fairly soon we could attract a better level of player and keep the best ones we have
    Do you think VVD would have went to Southampton if we were playing EPL no chance

20. richie87 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jonny Doyle
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    half them would be out of business and the others would be like our mid table teams

littlekennie likes this.