1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The EPL

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by The Prof, Mar 11, 2023.

Discuss The EPL in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    How would this current Cetic team fair in the EPL , where would we be in the table ?

2. Twisty Champions Again !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    12th

Peej likes this.
  3. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Impossible question, arguably a better and more pertinent one would be how would we fair with this current manager and squad supplemented by 150 million minimum.

12th are Crystal Palace who haven’t registered a shot on target in 3 games ya crackpot.

4. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    I think we could avoid relegation. :lol:

5. Twisty Champions Again !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony

11th

TESLA, FrankMcCallum, HoopyT and 13 others like this.
  6. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

:56::56::56:

7. horseshoe

See this topic pop up fairly regularly on other boards about us (and the huns) joining and it's just arrogant replies from english fans that we'd both be relegated instantly. The teams at the top end would probably blow us away, but the truth is a lot the bottom half teams are full of massively overpaid and overrated journeymen, the kind of guys like Barton that would come up here thinking they'd have an easy retirement contract and breeze it, then not handle the pace of the game even against our so called diddy teams.

The Prof likes this.
  8. Living the dream

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy Johnston
    It would take us a few seasons to bed in but i have no doubt eventually Celtic would be right up there. We are a massive club with a huge following and it would get bigger. I’m sure Sky tv are desperate to get us on board down there we potentially could have 70,000 to 80,000 supporters at our home games with stadium redevelopment of course. We can always dream

The Prof likes this.
  9. Twisty Champions Again !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Really though, somewhere around mid table to the top half. Usually when this comes up I think bottom half, probably quite near the relegation zone but I think the current squad would relish playing against teams having a go, on larger pitches. Never seen a Celtic team so full of confidence on the ball. As was evident in the CL this season as well.

The Prof likes this.
  10. jj81

Mid table or just below , but given 3/5 years challenging for top for and title given the players we would attract due to the league we would be playing in plus all that TV and merch money.

The Prof likes this.
  11. The Phoenix Black Lives Matter

Fav Celtic Song:
    Lawwell get to fuck
    1st or 2nd.

Creativecelt and PaulM1888 like this.
  12. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    I know there's been plenty of discussion in the past about us ever joining the EPL, but that's not what i'm saying, obviously if we were part of the League we would get the tv revenue and all that comes with it.

I'm just asking how we think this current team would do, forget the 100 mil revenue and all that, given our style of play could we compete with teams in that division ?

PaulM1888 likes this.
  13. The Magnificent 7 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    We would absolutely. We’re a level above the likes of Leicester, Leeds, Southampton etc, and without their annual obscene amounts of money we’d be too good for them.

The Prof likes this.
  14. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    10th. If I Wrong 7th, Very Wrong 5th

Cumbernauld Bhoy67 likes this.
  15. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

If we were in with a shout by January and you gave Ange £150m to spend we'd probably win the thing.

16. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

17. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky

I think we would. :ange:

King of Kings and Seán Mac D like this.
  18. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

It's a debate that's been done to death but it is an intriguing one. The money that league has generated is insane and in commercial terms striking gold, but as a result it's diluted the identity of the teams in it to mostly 20 mercenaries on a merry go round of paydays - and you can include most of the managers in that as well.

As much as it would be great for us to sign players (or actually just keep our best ones by paying them the going rate) - the idea of being just another cog in the money machine is a sad one too. The fact we're a huge club and a large portion of our funding/success is down to the fans is something to be proud of. Teams like Bournemouth and Fulham who's combined capacity doesn't even touch Celtic park being able to outspend us tenfold is ridiculous really.

Personally for me it would mean I would get to see Celtic more often in the country I live in, and the feeling of beating English teams every week is very appealing (I mean it feels good in Europe once every few years eh?) but ultimately the likes of those clubs above would never vote for us just like turkeys wouldn't vote for Christmas.

The Prof likes this.
  19. saltire78

I think this is really 2 different questions...

How would we do if we moved the current squad down, unchanged.
    How would we do if we moved the current setup down and gained access to the funds and profile of the EPL.

In the first scenario, I'd imagine not very well. We'd genuinely struggle to stay outta the relegation battle. It's not that our players don't have the skills - we'd better most in that regard, it's just that we'd get ragdolled physically for half the season until our players bulked up or we'd lose loads to injury. By time we settled the momentum would be against us.

In the second format, we'd be contenders for Europe straight out the door. That's because we'd start with something most of the other teams don't actually have. A solid core of quality players in every position, and we'd then have massive funds and profile to bring in 3 or maybe 4 top-notch players to unlock opponents, or to push our defence up another level. Ticket sales, merch, advertising... We'd be some of the biggest hitters in the world almost immediately.

The Prof likes this.
  20. Cumbernauld Bhoy67

Would be round about the relegation zone, no doubt about it. Look at West Ham and the quality of players they have and they’re what 18th or something?

Noskeil likes this.