1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Boxing Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Liam Scales, Jul 1, 2011.

Discuss The Boxing Thread in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

Can't wait for all the IFL interviews with Eddie and mr humble. Get it right up them

Chieftain and FrankMcCallum like this.
  2. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    Joshua either loses the rematch and retires or retires?

3. Chieftain

Fav Celtic Player:
    Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    He's probably planning a Sky "Redemption" documentary as we speak.

cidermaster likes this.
  4. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    He's no retiring either way but will become fade to a Chisora or Whyte career. Maybe have one or two mandatories but won't be winning anything.

I can't see him beating Usyk in the return leg.

cidermaster likes this.
  5. scootz

What is it they say about a good big ‘un always beating a good little ‘un?

One of them was good!

Joshua is becoming increasingly punch shy… and the last 30 seconds of the last round will only have added to that. Maybe time for him to call it a day?

PS - did anyone else notice that the bell rang a good 5 seconds early in the last round?

6. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Even if he loses the rematch the fight against Fury is still a Wembley Stadium sell out, they won't give up on that. It also keeps the AJ brand alive, which he essentially is anyway.

7. celtic warrior

After the loss, I've been saying to mates that AJ is basically on Chisora / Whyte levels

8. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    People are saying be bulkier and he will win … I think one of reasons he lost last night was because he was heavier it tired him and made him slower aj had better reach didn’t use it and usyk beat him to every punch because he was faster aj looked leaner in this fight and I think it was to try to cope with that aspect still too heavy though in the end I think if he takes rematch he need to drop some more pounds and try hone his craft more soar plenty of rounds with a complete boxer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Usyk manager said his reactions was great at the opportunity meant to have said yeh great I get to beat Joshua twice and get two big pay days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FrankMcCallum likes this.
  10. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    People sleeping on Joshua a bit here. He’s still a quality heavyweight who gives anyone (and I include Fury) a fight. He just came up against someone very special - who happens to be a level above even other elite fighters. Joshua’s power ensures he’s always a live dog and helped make a fight where he was getting thoroughly outboxed proper edge of the seat stuff.

Tony Bellew said something last night that was bang on - Usyk won’t lose to a batter fighter. At some point the physical disadvantages will be too much to overcome, but that’s basically it.

If I’m Joshua I don’t seek the immediate rematch. I go and fight Whyte, Parker, Joyce etc all very winnable fights for him. Build up to that fight with Fury (who may well beat Usyk in the meantime) and make bank.

11. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

A fit and focused Fury has zero trouble with Joshua.

Also, if he doesn’t take the rematch immediately then he’s done. It’s either Usyk II or retire - and he’ll know that himself full well.

Free the Adblock likes this.
  12. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Fury is my favourite heavyweight, but he gets too much credit for stuff he hasn’t done. The immediate reaction to what Usyk did to Joshua from some was ‘imagine what Fury would do’. To be clear, I believe Fury would stop Joshua late, but I assure you he’s a very live dog in that fight. His power from a variety of shots ensures that.

It isn’t as simple as ‘rematch or retire’ for Joshua. There’s no chance of him simply retiring now, and he’ll have plenty around him warning him against taking an immediate rematch.

13. scootz

I honestly don’t think this was a case of AJ being too big or too small Kennie.

Personally, I thought this was the best shape he’d been in for a long time. Not too musclebound, and although he was getting outclassed, he still seemed to have sufficient gas in the tank in the championship rounds (something that’s been suspect when he’s stepped in the ring looking like a bodybuilder).

I just think he’s developed a mental problem with letting his hands go. He’s been knocked down or wobbled quite a bit of late and he seems scared to expose his chin. And I get it - it must be a * of a thought to know there’s a realistic chance of finding yourself scrambling around on the deck, half-naked, in front of an audience of millions. Unfortunately for him, that risk comes with the territory.

King of Kings likes this.
  14. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    He's above both of them but he's nowhere near Fury and Wilder and now Usyk.

cidermaster likes this.
  15. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    What exactly has Wilder done to suggest Joshua is nowhere near him? Genuinely think a lot of people just don’t like Joshua so aren’t looking at things objectively.

Wilder’s best win is Ortiz. He got gifted a draw against a fat Fury and a fit Fury ran through him. I’m not sure if people are underrating Usyk here or what, but him beating Joshua in a hard fought bout doesn’t suddenly elevate Wilder. Ultimately, every limitation that Joshua has been accused of here (and most fairly) is applicable to Wilder and then some.

16. scootz

Wilder is an awful boxer - easily one of the worst to ever hold a heavyweight title.

17. celtic warrior

Joshua got found out.

He thought he could do the exact same thing as he did against Ruiz and basically keep his distance, contain and then let a couple combos off.

Thing is against actual fit, serious, intelligent boxers like uysk and fury, that's their bread and butter, I don't see the same intelligence or adaptability in Joshua as is in guys like Uysk and Fury. Joshua trying to play that game is beyond stupid.

18. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    It's literally because of Wilder's right hand. He is the only one who can take Fury imo due to needing to land just one punch.

I think Usyk would beat Wilder, if he avoids his right hand, which seems far more than likely based on yesterday's performance.

AJ has no answers for Usyk and won't for Fury. Am I being too harsh on him with Wilder? Probably but I can see Wilder ko AJ, although it'd be a close fight.

And, for the record, I rate AJ. I don't have anything against him but I don't think he'll win another belt now. Fury is head and shoulders above him and I can't see Usyk losing his belt any time soon.

19. Conjuring_Obey Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley song
    That’s what I was saying when I said Usyk was laser focused and would have beaten anyone infront of him last night including wilder and Fury. Usually I would pick apart the fighter that lost but Usyk went that extra mile with his conditioning for that fight.

King of Kings and cidermaster like this.
  20. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He’s a * who’s beaten guys past their prime and came unstuck against a fat Mexican and a bloated cruiser (albeit a world class one).

A total fraud, every single thing about him from the man of the people to his nice guy act and everything in between.

If he doesn’t take the rematch which is contractual he can forget about it, he’s done.