1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Boxing Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Liam Scales, Jul 1, 2011.

Discuss The Boxing Thread in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. scootz

2. celtic warrior

Fury has shown he's ability at half fit against arguably the hardest hitter in the division, drew.

Fury then showed us his ability when he was fully fit and ready to and utterly wiped the floor with Deontay.

Joshua might have danced around the fat pretender in Ruiz but he won't be able to do that against Fury. Joshua I don't think is capable of letting off a quick blast like Deontay and as a result is going to struggle to lay a glove on Fury.

Fury beats Joshua by unanimous decision. Sure it is not what we'd want to see against these two but if Fury fights the long game he'll have Joshua blowing out of his * and chasing shadows until least the last 2 rounds.

3. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Pulev was always gonna be a * fight..

Touching 40 and I remember thinking how * he was against Hughie Fury year's ago despite winning..

Fury stops Joshua..

Garrymac1888 and honda like this.
  4. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

Probably the hardest puncher, but was he the best boxer in the division? Wilder never fought anyone of note (before Fury) in any of his, then, 40 fights. He avoided all but 1 of the top 10 ranked fighters.
    People can say what they like about AJ but to his credit he's taken on more top ranked fighters than Wilder and Fury combined. He's now going through what Wlad went through in that everyone's wanting him to fail now - doesnt get the credit he's due.

Again, folks are giving Fury more credit than he deserves. Don't get me wrong, he may well beat AJ but I don't think it's going to be as one sided as folk think.

5. celtic warrior

Joshua got knocked out cold by Ruiz and lost.

Fury got knocked out cold by Deontay and drew.

One was in peak physical condition the other wasn't.

For Joshua to get near Fury he's gonna have to drop and get lean like he did in Ruiz II and even then it will play to Fury's game.

6. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

Joshua def took that Ruiz I fight for granted so cant see that mistake happening again but again Fury nearly got TKO'd off Wallin only for the cut man to bail him out. Its small margins at that level.

7. celtic warrior

Almost. Perhaps Fury also took that fight for granted?

Also Joshua struggled more against Wlad then Fury did.

Both won sure, but he got decked off Wlad, Joshua's chin is far more suspect.

Either way, Fury would win on points.

8. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

Aye, but based on what though? Fury has got very little history at the top end. At least AJ has a track record. The standard of which can be debated but at least it's there to have that conversation.

9. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Fury has never quit..

Fury beat Klitschko when he was reigning champion away from home and took the * untouched..

Joshua fought him at 40, 2 year's after he'd been out the ring and schooled by Fury. Was still dropped and almost out though. Klitschko of even 2 year's before would've had enough in the tank to finish Joshua when on top that night..

Joshua may have beat Wilder but he's so stiff and easily hit that I'd fancy Wilder to finish Joshua's career..

Fury coming in heavy would swamp Joshua. He's elusive and has shown with the extra weight and change of camp that he can put away a fierce puncher and walk him down. That size, height, foot movement and skill all in one is just unreal for a heavyweight..

Joshua is a good heavyweight don't get me wrong but Fury is just better and has his number for me..

Joshua is stiff/robotic. Gasses at time's. Easily hit..

It has to happen..

The Fury camp will want this more than the other way about in my opinion..

10. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    His eye socket was fractured

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

Are we forgetting the Klitschko fight was a hug fest? Aye fair enough AJ got him 2 years later or so but at least that was a TKO.

Also, Fury ran and hid from the Klitschko rematch. He was also done for a banned substance while we're at it.

I used to love Fury but he becomes more and more of a let down the more time passes.

12. celtic warrior

You mean that time when he went off the rails with his mental health?

Does he look after himself like Joshua, * no, his history makes that clear. But on form he's by far the most unusual heavyweight arguably in modern boxing history (last 15 years). His size, his movement is unlike anyone else in his division. He's now shown as well that if he wants to, he can unload bullets on his opponent.

Joshua is so easily hit by nearly every single opponent he's come against, especially when he's sucked in emotionally, Whyte/Wlad/Ruiz. Fury would be such a wind up merchant and get right under Joshua's skin.

He'll floor Joshua, probably won't be KO but he wins by unanimous decision easy.

13. scootz

Yup - not uncommon in boxing. What is uncommon though is seeing an elite-level boxer taking a knee and quitting because of it.

I've already agreed that what he did was sensible (insofar that its not sensible to box in the first place), but quitting like he did will not have lent himself to drawing a crowd for his next fight... and it doesn't indicate that he has what it takes to win / defend titles! He didn't know he had a broken orbital bone - he just knew that his eye hurt like it had never before, and the bad man opposite him wouldn't stop sticking his left paw in it. The will to adapt and push-through such experiences goes with the territory!

Most tellingly though, he was pure-pish in the fight! Utterly dreadful.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
  14. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Klitscho didn't have an answer to Fury. Why would there be a rematch? He ripped the * out of him in his adopted backyard..

So the guy that goes to 2 feared heavyweights (and again against the heaviest puncher on the planet) home turfs and batters them is a let down, but big Joshua who went to America for his first pro fight out of the UK to fight a last minute Ruiz, got ruined, dropped numerous time's and quit, isn't? :56:

15. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

The rematch was on before being called off by Fury for "medical reasons". In fact the rematch was cancelled twice! Both times by Fury funnily enough, if I mind right.

Wouldn't call Wilder feared though. He was sparking out unranked fighters for years which over inflates both his and Fury's records. If he was sparking out top 10 fighters then he'd have rightly been the top man in the decision but Wilder was the most protected fighter that I can remember.

AJ definitely dropped the ball v Ruiz the first time about. Nobody would argue otherwise?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
  16. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Agree with post any one who doesn’t appreciate the art of boxing will merely see fury Ko record and that what they come out with because he doesn’t have the glitzy knock outs that aj does he did pummell a tko out of wilder though which was surprising and impressive normally grinds out a points win against a fellow elite fighter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

To be fair to AJ he showed that he can box in the Ruiz jr rematch. He knew Ruiz had fasts hands when he got on the inside, so he utilised his jab well and kept moving. As you say, its not always all about the KO's - look at Floyd.
    Will be curious to see how Fury goes around this fight if/when. AJ doesnt really move his head but he keeps a high guard making that not too big an issue but it does leave the body open...

This whole conversation has made me sound like an AJ fan boy. I'm not really (i just like boxing in general) but im just not convinced that Furys as good as what people make when he's done very little at the top end of the division to show a sustained record. He makes a big fight then goes on to fight 2 nobodies - no wonder he's still unbeaten (Wlad then Seferi and Pianeta. Followed by Wilder then Schwarz and Wallin). Whereas AJ is way more consistent in the level of opponent.

I mean Fury is still even ducking Wilder III :fear::76:. We all want to see AJ v Fury but equally i want to see AJ v Usyk too - i'd take either or at the start of next year happily.

18. scootz

I have no interest in Fury v Wilder III. It's already 2-0 to Fury (he won the first!), so I don't see why anyone would want a 3rd.

In any case, Wilders post fight ramblings have pretty much made him persona non grata to Fury's camp (and the boxing world in general!), so its highly unlikely that its ever going to happen. Shat in his own bed!

Fontaine likes this.
  19. RabS Aw fuck it Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Any links for Canelo/Smith?

20. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Quite a crowd in the Alamodome, hopefully Smith can give a good account of himself. I can’t * stand Canelo now he’s a * cheat imo.