1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Board

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by The Prof, Oct 26, 2020.

Discuss The Board in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    The results are only one element, the players don't look happy and there appears to be a staleness, lack of effort and frustration with tactics. Lennon probably wouldn't have been as badly found out if he had a coach with the first team that had real attacking inventiveness. Maybe duff had little things last season that papered over the cracks and got us over the line, but even back then we were hardly blowing teams away. Strachan looks the definition of a job for the boys.

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

2. Bob Loblaw Gold Member Gold Member

Yeah, I'm not saying to forget the influence of the Celtic connection entirely. Damien Duff was a great player in his day who played at a consistently high level. His experience of the game was always going to be valuable so it made reasonable sense to hire him as an assistant.

I just think we should widen the scope of our search a bit instead of taking the lazy route and appointing a Celtic man for the sake of it, which often appears to be the case. Appointing someone who 'knows the club' shouldn't come at the expense of technical competence.

The Prof and Dublin Celt like this.
  3. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    “What we had to look at was why we underperformed and it was the same when they beat us at Celtic Park. How did that happen and what can we learn from it at all levels: the players, management, the board? That’s what’s so good at Celtic, we’re unified, we don’t have recriminations, we’re not here to fire somebody or blame someone, we take collective responsibility.”

Celtic as a club are seeking answers to what Desmond thinks is a question about mentality more than talent.

"I know when we appointed Lenny there were Rangers fans who thought we were handing them the league, but we felt that he had done an extremely good job at Hibs and he was a Celtic man true and true. I have quite a few Rangers friends in business, all very nice people who subscribed to the former viewpoint. However, I did have a wager with a few of them, so I owe Lenny a night out.

“You underestimate Lenny at your peril. He’s a very intelligent individual, he’s got great awareness and integrity. As far as analysis is concerned, he doesn’t shy away from performances. I’d a discussion yesterday with him about winning 5-0 at Ross County. As a headline, 5-0 looks great, but it was terrible, it flattered us completely. Ross County hit the post twice, they held the ball for long periods and had many shots. We should have won but 2-1, not 5-0.

“Lenny is up for that, he’d give you that same analysis. That’s what I like about him, he’s not camouflaging underperformance. When we’re succeeding, he’s looking where it came from and it’s the same with poor performances. He wants to play entertaining, attacking football, and, like Brendan, it’s possession football. It’s about being able to consistently deliver that Celtic brand of football"

Few extracts from Dermot Desmond's interview after the feverancos and Ross county games. I suppose what it really hammers home is the big reluctance the board would have to throwing Lennon under the bus at this stage. I fully expect them to back him to turn it around, in my opinion its a massive gamble.

Maybe they need to look at keeping Lennon but bringing in a coach with a real pedigree in attack and chance creation.

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

The Prof likes this.
  4. Brian Dunphy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Merry Plougboy
    Cant blame the board for this * going on. Pains me to not be slaughtering them but hes been backed to the hilt this summer with no player sales. This is all on the manager. Just leave

5. seanm

the board sat on a shitload of money the last 3 seasons. they could have spent big bought in long term players and manager to the club and we should have been miles ahead of the huns but they didnt.they are more to blame than any manager. rogers lwasnt backed when he wanted players for europe. i said this 3 years ago and it has come to pass. mind you its no surprised with * tories on a celtic board.ffs i cant even believe that sentence. * them.HH

thailandceltic likes this.
  6. Big C

I wish he was at West Ham.

7. Bob Loblaw Gold Member Gold Member

I don't think that money spent is an issue at all. It's the way that it is spent. I'm not really sure what we're playing at with scouting and it's been a problem for a few years now. For every gem there are 5 or 6 duds that we let rot on the bench and sell for nothing a couple of years down the line.

Taylor was a lazy signing, for example. Not a bad player but for 3 million there are literally dozens of better options out there, had we had an adequate scouting network in place to identify them. That's no fault of Taylor's - it's bad scouting. We all knew of his shortcomings before he signed so what did the club see that we didn't?

3.5 million on Bolingoli because... he's fast? Laxalt looks decent but it's a desperation loan.

The likes of Soro, Kouassi and Bayo rot on the bench because they're deemed not to be good enough, despite spending a significant amount on all of them.

Then you also have the abundance of Man City signings that only seem to have materialised because Lawwell's son works there. They haven't been bad signings at all but it reeks of laziness.

To put it bluntly we look totally incompetent. Especially when you compare our budget and wage bill against far better squads in far better leagues than ours.

The Prof likes this.
  8. Brian Dunphy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Merry Plougboy
    I agree with etherything you have said Sean and we should be light years ahead of the Sevvies but my point is this season, this particular season they cant be blamed for Lennons signings, interviews, tactics and demenour

The Prof likes this.
  9. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Of all the posts here I think this is as close to what should happen RE: The Board. They have to be looking at options now rather than react when it's irreparable.

We're not in crisis and I'm all for giving Lennon ample time to sort out his * but it has to start with a dogged performance away from home to a very handy Lille side, and showing far better in our domestic games than we've seen the last few weeks. We can't afford for the negativity around the dressing room and fanbase to increase any more.

The squad we have should be performing at a much higher level and we've been back long enough now for fitness levels and match sharpness to be peaking. The injuries have been unfortunate but it doesn't excuse the lack of intensity, desire and teamwork that's been displayed so far - those should be visible no matter who steps in to play.

I hope he can get them firing again but he doesn't look like he has the passion or know-how just now.

10. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    This sums it up for me.

11. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Dear the board of Celtic FC

If you * don't do something your going to * the business side of things as well as the football side of things this season.

Sincerely
    The * fans that give a *

12. Chieftain

Fav Celtic Player:
    Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    They wanted Rangers to catch up for the competitiveness factor...they sat on their hands when we were on top...only put their hands in their pocket this season when it looks like it will be too late. Consecutive summers of penny pinching and panic buying. They are getting what they deserve

13. horseshoe

The idea that the board's masterplan is to let rangers catch up to us so we have a rival again is absolute conspiracy bollocks, having a clear path to the champions league with no competition every year is much more beneficial to the clubs finances and their bonuses, many times over, than the increase in revenues a bit of domestic competition could ever provide.

Bunk Moreland likes this.
  14. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I won't fa
    I won't fault the transfer market performance this season (bar the time it took to sign a left back) Duffy was a good looking signing at the time, he has since proven himself to be a * bomscare and cost us dearly

its all down to the manger here, they have to invite him to leave or sack him.

Otherwise you're right and I agree

Chieftain likes this.
  15. andybhoy94 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    Lawwell should follow lennon out the door.

callumrae1967 likes this.
  16. Big C

You can’t blame the board!!! They’ve backed the manager by spending a fortune in these times!! Get a grip.

17. callumrae1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Who appointed the manager?

18. Bunk Moreland

Sorry mate but that's utter nonsense, the Celtic board don't need the Huns to be competitive to make money for the club.

19. Hadouken

Don’t worry lads they’ve already got the corona excuse lined up when we * the 10, it was their job to find a suitable replacement for Rodgers- they failed miserably and now we’re paying the price for their ineptness

20. john2061

The board will do * all just like they did * all the other day when the zombies weren't giving a two game postponement .
    There are massive problems at the club and think the manager and back room staff are * tactically pish and no game plan and no * tactics in defending .
    He will be in the dugout at Motherwell and just need to get on with it and it's not looking good .