1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

TC Tactics A-Z

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Marty McFly, Sep 15, 2018.

Discuss TC Tactics A-Z in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Did you see the Hamilton game? Edouard was constantly drifting out to the channels, and even ending up on the wing at certain points. Griff kept more central (though worked the channels sometimes), but he was full of running and pressure on the defenders.

2. TIART Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wee Callum
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Nice analysis video of 442 diamond vs 433 Salzburg vs Liverpool.

Showing the position of both strikers between fullback and centre backs, extra man in midfield and a narrowing of the midfield 4 creates a lot of wide space for our fullbacks to occupy.

There should be no reason not to have the bulk of possession with this setup and have plenty of opportunities to exploit.

If they play open against us, I see a win or they will need to adapt - as long as there are no individual passing mistakes or half arsed positional play.

Edit:: Just to add to this, this will cause Davis to be isolated a lot. He’ll need to run his * off if this plays out as hoped.

3. Sgt Neppers*

I think they will press. Far more than if they were isolated up top alone. I'll use the Huns game as an example.
    One splits and takes the LCB and LB, and the other the right. There's more balance to the diamond than the high pressing (I know I know) MF 3 in the 4231. Cause once they're bypassed, it's a free run really at the full backs. I feel far more comfortable knowing Barisic when bombing forward will have the most energetic player in Scotland in Christie and solid RB in Ajer ahead of him. The left is the same. Tavernier has Calmac and Taylor to deal with. Think that's solid enough.

The CM is the battle for me. Win this, and we'll be OK. Spine of the team being Julien, Bitton, Soro, Turnbull and either Eddy or Griff dropping in is solid. Calmac and Christie will need to do a power of running to cover the flanks and help Soro, whilst looking to get forward.

I'm a bit more optimistic about this game now. Players playing a solid, simple formation in far more familiar roles. No square pegs in round holes in terms of positioning.

The worry for me is Lennon. Whilst there's been massive improvement with this. I believe he will ditch Soro for Brown and possibly go one up top. That would be madness and should he lose the game he's done. Once and for all.

This system is more than playable than others with the the team we have. It should beat every other team in the league also. Just wish we had another few games before the scum to bed it in further.

4. TIART Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wee Callum
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    4231 just floods the midfield and pulls your two wide CAM’s out of position when defending to support the full backs which in turn wrecks the shape going forward isolating the 9 & 10 that and it’s too slow for my liking.

At least with 2 men up front it keeps the opposition honest, their full backs can’t over commit, nor can at least two of their midfield 3 if they want defensive solidity.

The boon here is they will need to double team on Eddy, that means either, asking one of their mid 3 to stay back and double up with a CB or ask one of their full backs to stay back as we ask Eddy to pull wide to split the back line dragging two wide.
    As much as Eddy likes to drop deeper at times, he really needs to stay higher and pull wide at the right times.

My only concerns would be Griff and Eddy trying to play tight and intricate too often or Eddy dropping into midfield too early and too often.

The other concern is obviously the back two probably going man for man along with Soro on quick turn arounds, they need to be smart and Jullien needs to stop over committing or charging through the back of forwards, needless freekicks must be avoided.

This all hinges on whether Lennon will go with the diamond and Soro or revert to type. He needs to go in with a pair of balls here and reassert our position as Champions.

Sgt Neppers* likes this.
  5. TIART Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wee Callum
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    As mentioned above, this is why 442 diamond or 41212 counters 433 so much it requires the 433 to sit deep with full backs protecting the two CB’s, even then they are pinned back when they regain possession because we have an extra man in midfield and two full backs covering their lane with a high press.

The only thing that beats this is our concentration dropping or a moment of magic from a set piece or skill.

The huns need to switch formation to 4231 which is the formation that the stifles 442 diamond, that though will be an issue for them because they don’t and I think, haven’t used it before.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
  6. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    Just a basic point about this season, but how many goals might we have not conceded if we had two men on the posts?

If you had assessed how unbelievably poor we have been in defending corners in the early part of the season, surely you would have sacrificed the outball player (Frimpong or Edouard usually) as playing on one of the posts. Then sacrificed one of the tiny players who does absolutely nothing when man-marking at a corner like Laxalt/Taylor and make them more useful on the posts EVEN if it leaves one man spare.

It's nothing short of scandalous at how poor we have been from set-pieces..

7. Foley1888

The argument against men on the post is it leaves you less men to mark players but that argument is void in our case as most of our men in the box don’t pick anyone up or are incapable of staying switched on so lose their man if they do.

Given who we have in the team we would definitely be better with players on the posts.

Ciaran_67 likes this.
  8. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    It's criminal how many we've conceded from set pieces..

But our former manager told us he couldn't coach them on how to defend them better after Dingwall..

Another game where we missed sitter after sitter and lost the game due to farcical defending at a set piece..

9. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    I was thinking about this, but ultimately with men on the posts we would still be matching up with the opposition in the box..

Most attacking teams set up with a defender on the half way line and obviously their keeper at the back. Obviously the corner kick taker as well. That leaves a maximum of 8 opposition players in our box.

Even deducting our 2 men on the post and keeper, it should be 8 v 8 in the box tops.

Just feels like we could have avoided many goals this season by doing this...the Huns probably wouldn’t have beat us at Ibrox or got a draw the day for starters..

10. Foley1888

Not disagreeing with you mate, that’s just the theory behind not putting me on the post. I think when you have so many small players it’s wise to anticipate losing some of the first headers so having people on the posts to clear is a good idea.

It’s also a good idea to leave a couple of players up the park with pace but we have so few players in that department as well. Kenny either way whether he was on the post or if he was in a zone both Morelos and the ball came into his area off the first header and he was sleeping which led to us losing the goal.

Personally I would be looking at the lack of height and physicality in our team and taking that in to account when recruiting.

11. Sgt Neppers*

Tactics are good. I wish we would use some. Any of them. Gotta be better than run faster, score more goals ffs!!!

12. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony