1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

TC Tactics A-Z

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Marty McFly, Sep 15, 2018.

Discuss TC Tactics A-Z in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Lot of good point's in here chap's. I agree with almost all of it to be honest..

Those Ntcham assist stats are startling by the way. I've completely lost patience with him as well..

Didn't always buy in to the no interested Ntcham performances but he looks like he's mentally checked out..

JC Anton likes this.
  2. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Think we'll see a different Edouard in the next few weeks tbh..

4-2-3-1 can definitely be utilised from time to time, we may even see it on Thursday.. Especially when MJ comes back in as an option.

The domestic run we had last season was with 3-5-2 so would be happy to see 2 proper striker in the box, domestically at least.

Edit: Laxalt looked OK yesterday too and he and Frimpong need 2 strikers to try and hit.. Buy aye I'm losing patience with Ntcham and Elyounoussi isn't suited to the role he's playing just now.

3. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I don't tbh.

The body language of him and his closest pal in the team Ntcham doesn't look good at all.

From the walking by Christie at the corner and not even making eye contact, to Ntcham looking away from Lennon when he was subbed off, to the now numerous underwhelming efforts both have put in. Asking to be left out of games either side of French u21 games that he played in.

If I'm Lennon then I'm picking a starting XI that I know will at least give me everything on the pitch. He can't do that with Eddie just now and I don't see him playing much part in our next few games.

Our run at the tail end of last season was after our European run had ended and we looked fresher/had more days prep, Eddie fully firing, Griff fully fit, Hayes at LWB.

It was a good run and I'm not taking away from it but we're in different circumstances now. I think being doey-eyed and sticking with it despite more recent games showing that it's simply not working would be pretty mad.

4. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Would like to see the stats that back that up. Id put good money that Christie has better goals and assists than rogic over the same number of games.

5. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Agree with this.

Not prepared to throw out the 3-5-2 when we’ve barely seen it at all this season. We’re playing a 3-4-2-1 with a wide player shoehorned into an attacking midfielder position.

The best football we’ve played in Lennon’s second spell came with a 3-5-2, and we still all of those players (Forster apart) available to us. We simply don’t play them together anymore.

4-5-1 domestically was a major part of the issue.

JC Anton likes this.
  6. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Tactics will get you so far, but players need to be playing for the manager, right now i'm not seeing it.

Mr Shelby likes this.
  7. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

We hardly played two strikers tho, have Ajeti and Edouard started a game together or even Griffiths and Edouard..?

We need to get Edouard fully firing, hes our most potent weapon and he plays best with a partner..

Also feel its unfair to put Edouard in the same bracket as Ntcham when it comes to attitude..

8. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Nah, don't think we've seen Ajeti and Eddie together yet due to injuries/lack of fitness/Eddie asking to be left out.

Eddie and Klimala at St Mirren definitely didn't work.

I'm not putting Eddie in the same bracket as Ntcham, he's in a League of his own and is a lost cause in my opinion; his attitude has been rank for a long time.

Eddie could still be salvaged, his lack of focus has only been a recent thing so I'd hope we can get him back at top form again but I wouldn't be playing him until we're reasonably confident he's there.

Whatever is going on in his head needs worked through first, we can't afford any more passengers on the field for us.

JC Anton and charlietully like this.
  9. john2061

Yeah agree playing for the manager but have a game plan as well and the players know what they are doing when they go on the pitch .
    If the players have downed tools as I have never seen a stat where Celtic have had zero shots on target at Celtic park then we have big problems ahead .
    Lawwell needs to get it sorted and quick if there's a problem between the players and the manager .

10. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    We saw them together at Dingwall mate..

Tannadice as well small signs late on for the winner..

They communicate in French as well. Think there's potential with those 2 with Eddy drifting and Ajeti being more of a penalty box predator..

11. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I think @JC Anton was asking if they'd both started in the 3-5-2, although my comment does read as if they've never been on the park together.

I think they could form a decent partnership but I think they'll be reliant on an effective midfield behind them supplying.

McChiellini.. and JC Anton like this.
  12. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    A fit and on form James Forrest has been massive for us over the years. I stress 'on form', we need to get the wee guy flying again when he gets back to fitness. He is criminally underrated by a section of the Celtic support. His goals and assists over the years have been crucial to us.

neilly1987 likes this.
  13. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For certain game's getting a Rogic behind them would work..

The problem is we've got so many player's who aren't match fit or injury prone that could do a job but it's fitting them in or getting minute's under their belts so that they can be called upon properly at any given time..

That's why the manager gets paid the big dough though..

There's people on here who don't rate Mikey highly but I cannot wait for him to come back. His pace and skill is something we're lacking in the side..

I rate him so highly that he'll do a big job for us when he's back..

14. Keano88

Yeah I rate him highly too.

It’s just squeezing him in now that will be the issue as he’s best suited to a 4231 for me.

McGregor Christie
    Forrest Turnbull Johnston
    Edouard​

Would be unreal.

15. Jeremie Frimpong

Christie has averaged 0.86 goal involvements per 90 minutes at Celtic; Rogić has averaged 0.6. The numbers only tell part of the story though.

16. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    what is the other part then mate?

17. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    That looks excellent on paper..

With Forrest being out i can see Mikey possibly coming back and playing on the right wing for a game or two if he's fit enough before Forrest..

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  18. CountyDownFaithful

Can someone pass this onto Lenny?

Seán Mac D likes this.
  19. Jeremie Frimpong

Rogić arguably exploits space better than any other player in Scotland: he excels at pulling opposition players out of position, and creating space for himself, or his teammates. His close control is exquisite, and he is excellent at winning fouls in dangerous areas. His link-up play is ingenious at times. Of course, he misses too many games through injury, but he is still, without a doubt, the best number ten in the country, in my opinion.

For me, Christie is more of a box-to-box midfielder. His decision-making and technique let him down at times, but he is dangerous and energetic.

Christie McGregor
    Rogić​

That is the most dangerous midfield three that we have had in years.

The67Sound and Foley1888 like this.
  20. Foley1888

I would like to see us go back to a back four and give Soro a go just in front of them with that midfield in front of him, then two of Ajeti, Eddy and Griff upfront. I think we would be far more offensive than we are at the moment.

Not seen enough of Soro but what I have he likes to get the ball moving forward and has a decent engine. Add that to the legs of CalMac and Christie and you have an energetic midfield capable of a good press.

If you add two strikers up top and the running power of Frimpong or Elhamed on the right and Laxalt on the left you suddenly turn a team with no energy press or pace in to one who plays on the front foot and looks to dominate teams.

You also have the pure ability of Rogic in a free role to play between the lines and feed the front two or midfield runs of Christie and McGregor.

We don’t need 3 CBs and Scott Brown passing the ball amongst them creating nothing. You can then play two of Julien, Duffy, Ajer and Bitton at CB depending on the opponent but work out quickly which is our best partnership.

For the players we have fit and available this has to be our best shape just now. When Forrest and MJ return it might make sense on occasion to play wingers as well as full backs but often at away grounds in Scotland it is tight and congests those areas.

Jeremie Frimpong likes this.