1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Tam Rogic

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Heisenberg, Jan 17, 2013.

Discuss Tam Rogic in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    So you would hold on to a player that's stayed for 9 years for a final year of their contract who doesn't want to be here in the hope that someone they would actually want to go to will be willing to pay something for them?

Let's face it, if he's said he wants to go back home we're not getting a big fee from an Australian club anyway, so is it worth risking paying his wages for another year when he wants away anyway? It makes sense to me.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  2. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

It's a sad day in my household :55:

Easter Rd Davie likes this.
  3. crazy-horse1977

I'm devastated, no other words to describe it. A rolls royce on his day.

4. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Looks like we have ripped up the last year of toms contract, Anthony Joseph claiming we offered both new deals but they where not interested and we respected that.

5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

As announced earlier, Tom Rogic has decided to move on to pastures new and he goes with the best wishes of everyone at Celtic.

He has been a key ingredient of much of the many successes that the club have enjoyed over recent years and his nine years with the club have been packed with trophy success.

The Australian attacking midfielder had a penchant for scoring important, match-winning goals for Celtic, perhaps none more so than the winner in the 2017 Scottish Cup final which secured the Invincibles’ Treble.

Signed from A-League outfit Central Coast Mariners by Neil Lennon in January, 2013, the then 20-year-old made his debut in a 3-1 away win over Inverness Caley Thistle on February 2. Besides a half-season loan to Melbourne Victory, the player known affectionately as The Wizard of Aus, was one of the club’s longest-serving stars, and has now made over 271 appearances and has scored 46 goals in green and white.

He also played a key role in the club’s unprecedented and historic Double Treble feat of 2017/18 – scoring the fourth of five against city rivals Rangers to clinch the league at Paradise – and, while injured during the final stretch of the Treble Treble trail, was instrumental from the start of the campaign until the winter break.

Aside from the impressive haul of six titles, the Australian internationalist has also helped the Hoops win five Scottish Cups and five League Cups.

Rogic made his international debut as a second-half substitute in a 2-1 friendly win over South Korea on November 14, 2012. Since then, a string of goalscoring Man of the Match outings for Australia have earned him a place in the Socceroos’ Confederations Cup 2017 squad, the World Cup 2018 and the AFC Asian Cup in 2019 as well as being a regular in the current side.

During the 2019 Asian Cup, the Hoops midfielder was named in the competition’s All-Star Squad, despite their quarter-finals exit and Rogic’s own injury mid-tournament.

Rogic now has 53 caps for his country, and, of course, a batch of those Aussie internationals came under Celtic manager, Ange Postecoglou, when he was in charge of the national side between 2013 and 2017

Rogic scored many important goals for Celtic,but none more so than at Hampden on May 27, 2017 in the Scottish Cup final against Aberdeen. Brendan Rodgers’ Celtic side had gone unbeaten, and were therefore going for an unprecedented unbeaten treble as Invincibles.

It looked as if the bid was on shaky ground when future Celt, Jonny Hayes scored for the Dons. Even though Stuart Armstrong equalised almost immediately, the Invincible tag was still in the balance as the game was still tied at 1-1 going into the final seconds.

Then Rogic gathered the on the right and powered into the box before tucking the ball into the net just as a thunderclap applauded the goal – and the Invincible Treble winners.

Tom Rogic

Position: Midfielder

Squad Number: 18

D.O.B: 16/12/92

Born: Griffith, Australia

Height: 6’2’’

Signed: 09/01/13

Debut: v Inverness Caley Thistle (a) 3-1, (SPL) 09/02/13

Previous Clubs: Central Coast Mariners, Belconnen

United, ANU FC (on loan at Melbourne Victory while with Celtic)

TROPHIES

League 6: 2015/16, 2016/17, 2017/18, 2018/19, 2019/20, 2021/22

Scottish Cup 5: 2012/13, 2016/17, 2017/18, 2018/19, 2019/20

League Cup 5: 2016/17, 2017/18, 2018/19, 2019/20, 2021/22

craigtheceltic and Wllm like this.
  6. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    He's been good enough this season that I can see him getting one big contract in China or the Middle East..

Look at someone like Boyle, same age as Rogic and earning a fortune and he couldn't lace Rogic's boot's..

There was talk of a Saudi team or something a year or so ago and he wants to be closer to home (although still miles away but closer)..

Think we could get about a mill for him and a big wage off the books. Maybe the same or just a bit less for Bitton but more importantly, definitely a big wage off the books..

7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

8. jambo_cfc

Sad to see him go and at times an absolute joy to watch but also there was a lot of times where gamespassed him by !
    Will be sorely missed but i believe ange will have a couple of names to replace both tom and nir with( evander from the danish league hopefully)

9. celtic warrior

These days always happen, bit some players will always sting more than others.

Rogic leaving is a hard one to take. Genuinely feel rather emotional.

I'd have hated to be part of the backroom staff when stuff like this is being discussed as I'd be a wreck...I know the time will have come regardless but I just wouldn't want him to leave

craigtheceltic likes this.
  10. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Yeah it’s strange to announce it like that when they are actually being sold you’d think.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  11. singer61

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    ynwa
    Thanks TOM for all you done for us. RESPECT to you. You should be sponsored by velcro as that ball never left your boot until you let it go. Many thanks .

12. jj81

He's been here since 2013 but says only won 6 league titles , how's that ?

Sad to see him go man.

13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

14. DJ CJ

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wanyama
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    He was out on loan for a couple of years when he joined.

jj81 likes this.
  15. Lewis Kerr

Absolutely gutted.

Saturday is going to be emotional :54:

16. cfcturbo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thomas burns
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Skibereen by wolfe tones
    Shocked at that tbh .champions league must not be the carrot at the end of the stick that everyone thinks it is.with bitton i think he isnt guaranteed first team football but rogic is a strange one .maybe he wants to try english premiership .ah well good luck to him scored some very important goals

17. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

I am very very very sad!!

At least we can give him and Nir a good send off tomorrow.

Going to miss this antipodean sexbomb.

moravcik1888 likes this.
  18. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I love a creative midfielder and Tom Rogic has been one of my favourite Celtic players over the years. His creativity, skill and goal scoring has been on another level at times. Very sad to see him go.

19. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    I think it’s so that we can say a proper goodbye to them on Saturday. After what they have given to the club, it’s the least they deserve. Aye we might lose a couple of quid by announcing it but that’s the price you pay sometimes.

Luis1967 likes this.
  20. celtic warrior

Thing is he's already sampled CL with Celtic and been hear nearly 10 years.

And by all accounts as an Aussie is now wanting to be closer to home as he moves closer to retiring and probably has another solid 3 years ahead of him on a bumper contract in leagues like that in middle east.

cfcturbo likes this.