1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Stuart Armstrong

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Xavier Woods, Feb 2, 2015.

Discuss Stuart Armstrong in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...le-now-southamptons-stuart-armstrong-leaving/

"Stuart Armstrong surely does not speak for most Southampton fans when he describes his excitement at the coming fixtures.

The beleaguered South Coast club are on a miserable run of form and haven’t won at home in more than a year ahead of the visit of Manchester United on Saturday and a trip to Tottenham in midweek, as the pressure intensifies on Mark Hughes.

But the 26 year-old Scotland midfielder is a man who does things differently. At 18, whilst a young professional at Dundee United, he enrolled in a Law degree with the Open University, a qualification he completed last year.

“People like to bring it up and sometimes I bring it up myself,” he jokes at the club’s Staplewood Training Complex where he has quickly become popular with staff and players alike.

“I’m proud of it and I’m glad I’ve done it. It’s something nice to have in the periphery if needed but that’s something for the future.”

Even Armstrong would struggle to legislate for the start to the season Southampton have endured. Injury has limited his opportunity to make an impression following his £8 million summer move from Celtic but he scored his first two goals for the club in the 3-2 defeat at Fulham last weekend.

“It was a nice touch at Craven Cottage where Dad had flown down with my little brother and was in the Saints end to see my first goal. I think he let off a flare actually,” he jokes.

There has been little cause for celebration at Southampton over the past season and a half but, like his manager, Armstrong is convinced that the Saints’ fortunes are about to turn.

“Football is such a transient game. It can all change so quickly and it’s the same with results. We can never get caught up in it all and never lose sight of the bigger picture.”

‘Grounded’ and ‘calm’ are the adjectives which come to mind as Armstrong thoughtfully and precisely talks about his career to date.

He likes to distance himself from what he calls “the exterior noise,” something which is easy for him to do given that he does not read the sports pages or participate regularly on social media.

“Twitter is another thing I don’t like to look at and I don’t have anymore. I didn’t use it that much,” says a man whom you sense is enjoying being away from the uniquely intense Glaswegian football bubble.

“Where I am just now, it’s out of the way a little bit and you can walk the streets and have a coffee and it’s nice and peaceful. Glasgow can be intense. It very much is football, football, football up there. When I first arrived at Celtic, things weren’t going so well and seeing little bits in the papers can have a big effect on you so why put yourself through that. Football is a game of highs and lows, anyone will tell you that, and I like to stay firmly in the middle.

The comparative Hampshire tranquility is enabling Armstrong to do just that and he is slowly becoming accustomed to his new surroundings.

“I’d never been this area before, but having seen what I have, it’s lovely. There's the New Forest, the coast, Winchester down the road, a little train journey to London where I have couple of friends.

Armstrong made the move South on his own, something less worldly individuals might have struggled with. He is not the first Celtic player to opt for St Mary’s in recent seasons, though admits it has taken some time to adjust.

“It's obviously a big shock. When I signed, Dad and my agent were there and a couple of others. Suddenly they all flew back home and it was just me. That was a strange feeling and one I'd never experienced before. I moved to Celtic when I was 22 but I was with one of my closest friends. If I needed to go home it was easy: one and a half hours in the car. Now it’s that on a plane. It took a while but I feel comfortable now.”

For a man who very clearly knows his own mind, it is perhaps not surprising that Armstrong did not consult Virgil Van Dijk, a former teammate at Parkhead, specifically about his move to St Mary’s.

“I had four or five months with Virgil and even then you could see that he was too good for, er, football! He was a nice guy.”

So perhaps, as a member of Celtic’s unprecedented ‘double treble’ winning side under Brendan Rogers, Armstrong might be forgiven for having some regrets about his move to the South Coast?

“Definitely not,” is the resounding answer.

“I learned to be a winner, to be successful at Celtic. I experienced nights I’ll never forget, playing Champions League, winning cup finals, sharing those experiences with great individuals.

When I go back to play with Scotland, I see all of them again and it brings a smile to my face. It wasn’t easy to leave but I needed to challenge myself in a different way. I think if I’d got to 35/36 and hung up my boots and looked back and not taken a chance to play in the Premier League, something I dreamt about as a young boy, I think I would have regretted it.”

Armstrong counts Gianfranco Zola and Frank Lampard amongst his most admired players when he was growing up, but his Premier League dreams only really started to form from the terraces of Elland Road.

“I had some family in Yorkshire and went to watch Leeds United a lot when Harry Kewell and Mark Viduka were there. I remember looking out onto the pitch and dreaming that one day, hopefully I’ll be involved in that.”

It has been quite the journey for a boy who began his fledging career as a 13 year-old at Dyce Boys Club in Aberdeen, who received “a nice payment” as a result of his move to England.

“My dad loves that, as do I - having influence on the boys club that was so good to me.”

The club committee were rumoured to be considering using the windfall for a new mower but Armstrong had other ideas.

“I suggested a statue but they didn't want to go for that,” he smiles.

Coming from a Premier League footballer, one could be forgiven for thinking that suggestion was serious: no chance with Armstrong, a man who takes nothing for granted.

2. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Strikes me as the kinda guy who will be hoping the sheep win today

Doogs. and Gabriel like this.
  3. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Still think we have done well to get £7m plus a sell on for him!

Phillyhoopsfan and greengrocer like this.
  4. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    He’s so * bland

Doogs. likes this.
  5. Smithy

Yep!

He doesn’t like experiencing highs and lows in football, he likes to stay in the middle...he’s just left a double treble side for a team that may well be relegated. High to low right there Stu.

6. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    " Hampshire's lovely - The New Forrest , the coast , Winchester just down the road ".
    He really is Mr dull as *.

7. Graeme1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ajer
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I feel like he never really took to the club when he was here which is a real shame

8. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

For him, aye. Celtic have lost much better players than him and not batted an eyelid. We will be the pinnacle of his career, no doubt about it.

Phillyhoopsfan and Doogs. like this.
  9. MagnificentSeven Charly Musonda CSC

He’s the kinda * who says stuff like

“Oh, I would’ve baked a cake if I knew you were coming!”

10. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Beautiful Sunday - the IRA version
    Personally think he's a No-voting Tory *. But I do like him.

11. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Beautiful Sunday - the IRA version
    The sort of * who posts something like this on Facebook:

"Warmest congratulations to the Royal Couple on the birth of yet another glorious little bundle of joy. The nation is thrilled for you and yours x".

MagnificentSeven likes this.
  12. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Do a splendid cheese toastie in Eastleigh..

13. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

I have to laugh at the abuse he gets for being a bit dull :giggle1:

14. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    I would see him as an ex player but not an ex celt

15. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Never liked him and don't think he ever truly liked Celtic

Rydo1888* likes this.
  16. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

He'd send a meth addict to sleep ffs :rofl:

Cumbernauld Bhoy67 and Slaw like this.
  17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Goal against Derby

18. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He is doing well down there now.

Which shows you how well the likes of McGregor would do who is an infinitely better footballer.

19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

20. Tony.

Fav Celtic Player:
    George Connelly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA.
    Check out @SouthamptonFC’s Tweet:

Mystic Penguin likes this.