1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Stuart Armstrong

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Xavier Woods, Feb 2, 2015.

Discuss Stuart Armstrong in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

STUART ARMSTRONG doesn't regret his decision to quit Celtic in the summer, saying that it was the right time for a fresh challenge.

The midfielder signed for Southampton for a fee of £7million after helping Brendan Rodgers' side to their second-successive treble, and is quietly going about making an impression since his move south, starting two of their four Premier League fixtures so far and featuring from the bench in the other two.

He admits that he is still adjusting to an environment where he isn’t necessarily expected to win every match as he was in Glasgow, but he is sure he has made the right choice after the novelty of the Scottish game had somewhat worn thin.

It’s different,” he said. “It’s always challenging when you go to a new team, a new environment. It has taken a bit of time to get used to the different styles. But it’s a fresh challenge and I’m excited about that.

“Because I was Dundee United and then Celtic, it was eight years of playing the same teams over and over again. The fixture list [in England] excites me, going to these new places, new stadiums that you have watched on the TV and been to as a young boy. That’s exciting.

The time was right. The summer before, I had some thoughts about it, but I had had one season with Brendan Rodgers, and I wanted another. I knew in the back of my head that, ultimately, the time would come when I wanted a fresh challenge, and if I didn’t take it, I would probably have regretted it. It was about changing for a bit of experience and trying something new.”

Armstrong is back in Scotland this week on international duty. Being good friends with Andy Robertson after their time together at Dundee United earlier in their careers, the choice to room with the Liverpool star seemed like a perfectly sensible one. That was until his roommate was announced as the new Scotland captain, that is.

Armstrong joked that the armband had already changed the previously unassuming 24-year-old, but when he then gave his considered assessment of the decision by Alex McLeish to appoint Robertson as leader of the national side, he could think of no one better suited for the role.

He’s been asking me to clean his shoes...it’s gone to his head!” said Armstrong.

“It’s a very good choice. I’ve known Andy for years. He’s the type of player who leads by example and gives his all for the team. He’s someone who is very well liked in the squad and it’s a very good choice.

“The one thing I’ve admired about Andy is that he’s always been the same player if he was playing for Dundee United as he would be if he was playing a Champions League final. He’d always be consistent.

“As a person he likes a joke, but he can be serious too.”

The serious work of qualifying for the European Championships in 2020 gets underway on Monday night. Once a glamour friendly against Belgium has been navigated on Friday evening, Scotland get their UEFA Nations League campaign underway with a home tie against Albania.

The new route to the play-offs offers a more than realistic chance for Scotland to get closer to their goal of qualifying for a major championship for the first time in over two decades, and if they are to do it, the side that Armstrong and Robertson were a part of at Dundee United will be well represented.

John Souttar is the latest of the Tannadice alumni to make the squad after his call-up on Monday, and Armstrong believes his inclusion is long overdue.

It will be a big week for him,” he said. “Everybody remembers being called up for the first time and their first involvement with the squad. It’s an exciting time.

“He’s another really nice guy and I’m happy to see him get this recognition.

“I think he was only 16 when he played his first few games for Dundee United. He showed a lot of composure for a young player back then and he’s become a very good player.

Seeing boys from United like Jonny Russell, Andy and Soapy in a Scotland squad after all those years, it’s great how it’s turned out.”

One name from that group of players that is conspicuous by its absence is that of Ryan Gauld, but Armstorng believes that time is still on the 22-year-old's side.

“I’ve always loved playing with Gauldy,” he said. “He went to a massive club and that can go different ways. It would be good to see him in the future.”

2. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Bring him home

Sno'sLeftFoot and The IRA like this.
  3. Sno'sLeftFoot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Desperately missing his runs and goal threat from midfield. Hindsight is wonderful but it really does make a mockery of those who were clamouring to see the back of him last season.

The IRA likes this.
  4. Account Deactivated Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    His attitude was * *, strolled around that game at home vs Anderlecht and he obvs didnt want to be here, was class for one season and yes we miss his late runs from midfield but in all honesty * him he wanted to leave fair play to guy he did well for us but wev already got enough passengers as it is we didnt need another

Gabriel, Mr Shelby and Seán Mac D like this.
  5. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

...in a bodybag.

6. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    People saying we desperately miss him conveniently forgetting the fact he chucked it and didn't want to be here.

Gabriel likes this.
  7. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Beautiful Sunday - the IRA version
    Regardless of your thoughts on Armstrong last season, there is no doubt our current team would be enhanced enormously by a direct replacement.

Fair enough he wanted to go, but was it really that difficult to find a like for like replacement?

Our MF lacks any kind of dynamism at all.

Sno'sLeftFoot likes this.
  8. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Both are true, though.

He wanted away, but we badly miss him.

The IRA likes this.
  9. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    He's exactly what we're missing. No surprise when he was on top form, scoring from midfield that we were hammering teams. McGregor tries to do the same job but he wants on the ball to try and dictate things which limits his breaks into the box.

Rogic would rather be around the edge of the box trying to get a shot in, but against a ten man defence that won't happen often enough.

The IRA and Liam Scales like this.
  10. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Wasn't difficult at all.

Given 12 months of notice I'm pretty sure most on here could find a fair few replacements just in their spare time.

For a supposed elite level football club with £30 million in the bank to sell him with 9 weeks to go of a transfer window and not bring anyone in, despite the manager mentioning twice in interviews that it was a priority is...just incredible.

oh bhoy, Mince.Charming and The IRA like this.
  11. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I don’t see how those statements contradict each other?

Sno'sLeftFoot likes this.
  12. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    He was one of our best players in the 2nd half of last season even though he never started that many games, he always played well when he was on the park.

13. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Domestically we miss him, was a great threat with goals and assists especially against teams that would sit in. He got found out in Europe though, looked like a lost boy at times.

Lewis Kerr likes this.
  14. Sno'sLeftFoot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Don't know why people continually bring up European games when we're discussing Armstrong or anyone else in the squad for that matter. No one has covered themselves in glory at all since Rodgers' first season, especially in European games with the exception of Anderlecht away.

15. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Because he was markedly worse than most of the players. We were close to a result against Bayern and beat Zenit, a lot of good performances in those games.

16. Lewis Kerr

I saw him with the rest of the Southampton team at Heathrow a couple of months ago. He was by himself so I said “You alright Stuart”

* just looked for a second and walked away

Miss his late runs though

17. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    They don't, I suppose. Just personally don't desperately miss a guy who wanted away is probably a better way of putting it across.

I suppose the overall side would miss a player with his energy and drive, but we barely saw it last season anyway.

He was in the team when we were playing * and a lot of this form started. It's nothing new.

18. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Were you wearing anything Celtic related?

19. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

Came on at 0-0, finished 2-0, at fault for 2 Wolves goals.

20. RabS Aw fuck it Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Heartwarming.

DaBomber and Gabriel like this.