1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Link] Steven Fletcher

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by verdi-y-blanco, Jan 2, 2014.

Discuss Steven Fletcher in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Bollocks..

He was forever dropping back,sometimes in a midfield position and linking play..
    His link up play/cleverness outside the box was one of his best attributes..

2. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Our full play went through Hooper. He was the link up man and the goalscorer, he was the one who made us play, the play went through him and was inevitably finished by him.

3. Murph-E

If it was just a loan, we don't need him. No Europe, already won the League by a mile. If we signed him and he played to his best, would be an excellent signing.

4. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    One of the goals that sums up hooper for me in general..

Starting and finishing moves..

Great player and a million times more than just an out an out striker

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5m4-hsVygxc[/ame]

5. Mannix

What a bunch of nitpickers. What we miss most about Hooper is his ability to put the fookin ball in the net. If we had a striker capable of doing that we probably would have finished at least 3rd in the CL Group and would be in Europe post Christmas.

6. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    This is never going to happen, other Premiership clubs are interested and we'll be totally priced out of the running for Fletcher. I would like to see him at Celtic but we cant compete with English Premiership clubs financially, end of story.

Finnabogson is more realistic but I wouldnt hold your breath on that one either.

7. SpellCheck92

Lassad involved there. I thought we were a bit hasty to let him go. He was a tidy player.

8. Glasgow_Bhoy88

We need a 30+ goal a season striker. Something Fletcher is not.

9. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Aye, I thought he was decent.

10. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Lennon confirmed we aren't in for him.

11. shaun.f

aye about 2 days ago.
    This wont happen.

12. fms06

* story, club will string us along with "we've got money to spend' and "yes we'd spend 6m on a player" total balls !!! * me right off, sicknof hearing their * during transfer window.

13. Lecs

May as well close the thread.

14. Jack Torrance Heeeeeere's Johnny! Gold Member

Load of bee hall oaks.

15. Mevin Gold Member Gold Member

30 plus a season? Hope your having a laugh ya nutter!

16. Kayal338

Fletcher’s agent, Scott Fisher, told MailSport: “Celtic are a massive club and with some of the European nights they’ve experienced, ..any player would be attracted. But at the moment Steven is a Sunderland player.”

17. kiefer

Celtic have lost 6 points in the SPL. With a better striker they might have gotten 2 more, 4 if lucky. Absolutely no difference in there. And maybe they would've gone further in the League Cup (where winner gets essentially nothing). (edit: Ok, I misread your post so you can ignore this first chapter).

In the CL group one better striker wouldn't have changed anything. I stand by what I wrote earlier. Getting a Fletcher or a Finnbogason or a Johansson doesn't solve Celtic's problems and in the big picture won't make it any more likely for them to finish 3rd in their future CL campaigns. Without fixing the huge midfield problems, they would need a striker like Zlatan, Falcao or Suarez for it to truly make a difference.

Then again, if Celtic get a good playmaker and a decent striker like the three mentioned earlier, they might have a chance. However, at least Finnbo is absolutely out of Celtic's reach unless the club is willing to spend record amounts. SPending the required 6-10M for Finnbogason would be a braindead move, since he is completely untested beyond the Dutch league. There have been many cases where scoring like a madman in Holland is not enough to make an impact on a higher level (CL in this case, Scottish league is much worse than Eredivisie).

I think the strikers in the speculation are a bit too good for Celtic. The club is suffering very much from the poor quality of the Scottish league. Who wants to play week after week against Partick if the option is to join a bottom-of-the table Bundesliga team and play against clubs like Dortmund week in week out? The six CL group games don't really make a difference to most players.

I think also in the future Celtic will have to settle for strikers who have a maximum of 2 million (3 if lucky) price tag. Most players with a higher price tag are looking for something else than the Scottish league and I can't see Celtic paying such sums anyway. Because of this, there's always a risk of new players not making the cut, since the cheaper players that Celtic can afford haven't been tested on a high CL level.

Right now I'm not sure what Celtic are doing. There's Stokes, Pukki, Fridjohnsson, Bangura, Balde, Atajic, (Commons), (Samaras) and now they're buying still more strikers?

What I would do is spend as much money as is needed on a good playmaker now in January, but not buy more strikers. I'd give the "new" guys a chance to show what they have for the spring. Celtic will still win the SPL and most likely stay undefeated. If things don't look better in May, I'd spend the 3M on a new striker and sell all the forwards who don't make the cut.

Spending now on a striker without spending more on a playmaker is idiotic.

18. holy pope

Fav Celtic Player:
    All time Larsson, Currently KI
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields of Athenry
    Hull have had £8m rejected ,we had zero chance getting him.

19. Celticswede

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Where did you hear that?

20. belfastcelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson - currently tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    scotty sinclair
    Unless we use Fraser Forster as bait

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.