1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Link] Steven Fletcher

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by verdi-y-blanco, Jan 2, 2014.

Discuss Steven Fletcher in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    Sign Monkey man

2. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    If you look closely, she's saying "I * Paul" :icon_mrgreen:

3. magoo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky/ Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields
    I'm exactly the same thinking as you morgan, Fletcher is a right good player, and also an intelligent player too. If you were guaranteed his fitness, he wid be a great signing for Celtic, but thats my fear. Jordan Rhodes, would be a STAR signing for us, but I genuinely think he is way out our league now, moneywise. Personaly, I'd go £4m for Jelavic, great big player, and I think he'd come. He was a player, I feared when he played against us, he can always grab a fecking goal, and he's powerful as * too, also good in the air. May be a very good shout :50:

4. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Can't see the Fletcher thing happening, but I'd love to see him here. I think he'd be sensational for us.

5. LoveTheTic88

Celtic should be in no rush to sign Steven Fletcher

No doubt Celtic supporters would view the signing of Steven Fletcher as evidence the club are serious about building for the future during this transfer window.

However at a reported cost of around £6m the Sunderland striker would not only be a risk but one with an expensive price tag.

The former Hibernian and Wolves striker has found himself out in the cold too often on Wearside under Gus Poyet and is said to be keen on a move to the east end of Glasgow.

Yes Fletcher would boast a fine goal rate in the Scottish Premiership, but that is only half the story.

For a start he would command a wage bill of around £40,000 per week, far in excess of anything currently being paid to Neil Lennon’s stars.

Does this represent value for money? Well only if the Scotland international is fit and fully functioning.

Fletcher – though still only 26 – has had serious ankle and shoulder injuries to contend with over the past year, something which cannot be ignored.

All this comes in the context of the probable departure of Georgios Samaras with the Hoops reluctant to let the forward leave for nothing in the summer.

Fletcher is, by a distance, a more naturally gifted finisher than Samaras but does not possess the Greek’s ability to run with the ball and operate in a multitude of attacking positions

How much better it would be for Lennon to be able to keep Samaras – said to be a target for both Hull City and Atletico Madrid – and at the same time bring in a real quality striker.

I’m by no means convinced Fletcher is the best bet in his price range.

Yes his injury record is a concern but he also he lacks pace and therefore would leave Celtic still badly in need of a replacement for Gary Hooper who recently departed to Norwich City.

The majority of fans would much prefer to see the prolific Alfred Finnbogason in a hooped jersey but Celtic may have missed the boat with a host of clubs now alive to his sparkling form for Heerenveen.

Have no doubt this is an uncannily important transfer window for the Bhoys.

Right now they have the chance to bed in a team which will have gelled in time for the next Champions League qualifiers. With that in mind they should consider their next move extremely carefully.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/01/03/celtic-should-be-in-no-rush-to-sign-steven-fletcher-4248156/

6. Mystic Penguin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Amhrán na bhFiann
    I doubt we'd get him.

7. mightymcginn

I think that from what I've seen of him fletcher is actually faster than hooper as that was the one thing that really held hooper back from being world class.

8. Bangarangura

fletcher is horrendously one footed, worse than ledley, mulgrew has made drastic improvements with his week foot this season

9. Joebhoy

really think hes overrated if we are willing to pay 6mill I think there are better options out there

10. monthehoops1888

His fitness would be a worry...

11. kiefer

Celtic's problem is NOT the lack of a good center forward. It is the lack of a playmaking midfielder and a leader in the offensive end.

With 6M it might be possible to get a good enough playmaker for Celtic's needs. Getting a good enough forward is not possible, since Celtic's problems are elsewhere. They would need a forward whose level matches Zlatan or Falcao so that he could really nullify the real problems that Celtic has.

An even bigger problem seems to be that Lennon & co don't have a clear vision of their team and it's strengths and weaknesses and thus aren't able to strengthen it properly. They're focusing on the wrong stuff entirely.

My point: a striker is needed (before next season kicks off, not necessarily in this transfer window), but getting one doesn't solve ANYTHING. Celtic won't be fighting for a UCL top 16 spot even if they get two Finnbogasons and five Fletchers, since these forwards are not good enough to neutralize Celtic's midfield problems.

12. TheHappyLoss

If Stokes or Pukki would make runs into the box once in a while we may get on a bit better. Commons who is not a striker seems to manage it:50:

13. Antz1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Emillio Izaguirre, Joe Ledley, Beram Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    'You'll never walk alone' 'Let the People Sing'
    I hate the playmaker rubbish cause Gary Hooper never had any problems scoring in the box and it was much the same team, cause Wanyama wasnt a playmaker. Sure we could do with a top quality playmaker, I can't deny that.

But we still create plenty chances, and if Pukki or Stokes would get in the box or hold a more central position they would score more goals instead of coming out wide and dropping deep all the time. The problem is we lack a real centre forward.

14. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Gary Hooper was the playmaker though, just happened to be great at scoring as well.

15. Antz1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Emillio Izaguirre, Joe Ledley, Beram Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    'You'll never walk alone' 'Let the People Sing'
    He set up 21 goals in 3 years, that's nowhere near the amount of izzy Matthews stokes etc. We are still creating chances, it's just there's no strikers in the box and when chances come there way they more often than not miss.

16. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Being the playmaker doesnt mean just setting up goals, its the whole linking of the play in the final 3rd.

Hoopers movement, awareness, vision and passing in the final 3rd was by far the best in the team. It opened up all sorts of spaces and dragged defenders around letting others get playing around the box.

Stokes, Commons and Pukki dont have the same level of movement or vision as Hooper to spot and link-up play or exploit gaps without thinking like he did so its much harder to break teams down.

The closest player we have to Hooper id say is Forrest, he'd the only attacking player who spots passes, moves around and holds the ball quite well on the move. But it doesnt work as well as Forrest plays wide and comes in looking to link with the guys in the middle, he doesnt actually play in there to be the one doing the link-up play with players playing off and around him.

Stokes and Commons are quite creative players but they hold the ball too long at times, or pass and move once but then dont make any further movement so its just like "oh I made the pass there you should have went for it" and not that fluent. Hooper and really only just Forrest out the rest, could combine 3/4 times constantly on the move.

Stokes and Commons are decent at laying it off or passing it through around the box but those types of plays are rarely successful, out of every 5 times you pass it through into the box for someone to run in onto maybe once at most the player will get a shot, the other 4 times the pass will be over hit, the keeper will come out, it will be blocked or cleared and out that one shooting chance every 5 attempts maybe only 1 in 4/5 of them will be a goal. Hooper was just more clever at knowing when to pass it through, when to lay it off, when to hold it, when to go for an extra 1-2, when to dummy it... how often does Stokes dummy the ball and theres no-one near him to get it?

17. Lecs

We miss Hooper so badly.

18. Mannix

No he wasn't Hooper is and was for us an out and out striker. i hope Lennon and co aren't as confused about what Celtic need to prioritise as some posters here are. We needed to replace Hooper last summer, we didn't and we still need to replace him now. Also we should get that striker we need in this window if at all possible and not wait 'til next summer.

19. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    No he wasnt, Hooper roamed all over, mostly in central areas and the play always went through him wether he was the one coming from deep carrying it in and linking up or the one with his back to goal with others playing off him.

Scott McDonald was a striker, he rarely came within 20 yards away from the oppositions box. He could hold the ball in and lay it off out to the wings but he was limited to the basics.

Hooper was the full package up front. He could play as the main striker, behind a striker, probably in attacking midfield although rarely did, he could play facing goal, back to goal, get into the wide areas. His movement off and on the ball were 2nd to none, he could play slow build-up or counter attacking football.

We have no chance of replacing Hooper fully. Players like Finbogasson or Fletcher whod cost £6million or more are more limited players.

20. Mannix

Nonsense Hooper's game is mainly as an out and out striker.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.