1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Link] Steven Fletcher

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by verdi-y-blanco, Jan 2, 2014.

Discuss Steven Fletcher in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Meh..

2. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

I think Fletcher with Klimala or Griff up top as back up to Eddy would be class, Fletcher isn’t really a goalscorer but his hold up play is brilliant and linking it up.

Not too bothered if it doesn’t happen but he would be great back up for the season. Imagine he’s behind Toney and Ajeti though on our list.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  3. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    CELTIC aren’t poised to announce the free transfer capture of Steven Fletcher but he IS in Neil Lennon’s thinking.

A well placed Hoops source tonight told SunSport no deal has been agreed for the 33-year-old who is leaving Sheffield Wednesday and would jump at the chance of moving to Parkhead.

We’ve also been assured there AREN’T currently contract negotiations with the former Burnley, Wolves, Sunderland and Marseille hitman.

Lennon, however, is a fan of ex-Hibernian hero Fletcher and has been well aware of the possibilities over recent weeks.

Peterborough United’s Ivan Toney and West Ham’s Albian Ajeti remain firm targets too, with the latter viewed as an initial loan signing.

It’s understood former Scotland star Fletcher is that keen on the prospect of playing for the nine-in-a-row champions he’d be happy to accept terms less than he could attract remaining in England, with Stoke City ready to table a two year contract offer.

Celtic baulked at a £4 million asking price for Fletcher from Hibs in January, 2009.

Lennon’s carefully considering all options and won’t be rushed into any moves.

4. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53675841

BBC saying that we have offered a one year contract with an option of a second but no agreement has been made yet.

I'd prefer to see him coming on than Bayo but it's still underwhelming as I'm scared that'd be our striker search over...

Slaw likes this.
  5. Big Shoes Tictok Gold Member

This!!

6. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    If it's true I don't get the logic behind it at all. A 1 year deal, probably on reasonably high wages, no chance of a sell on, for someone that is going to be a bench warmer for most of the season? And if we are losing one of our strikers, and he's being brought in as a replacement, this move makes even less sense.

If we (hopefully) don't lose Eddy this season we almost certainly will next season, we should be planning ahead and bringing in his successor now, so they are up to speed and ready to go for qualifiers next year, as well as providing cover for this season, not someone at the end of their career.

7. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Never wanted him really a few years back, still don't really want him now.

He doesn't get in ahead of Édouard, Griffith's or even klimala now (klimala needs a run of games to keep his development going. Shunning him for an aging Fletcher who isn't going to ever be the main striker is counter productive).

If bayo is off/loaned out then yes I agree we want a 4th in, but unless it's someone of a younger nature to develop, then I don't see why we would want to be spending high wages on someone with little return and little game time.

Gordon situation was the same, Gordon was told he was to be 3rd choice and offered a wage comparable to that.
    Fletcher will be 4th choice striker and his wage should he comparable to that as well, max £5k a week.
    If he accepts that, sure go for it.
    But I doubt he will.

Sent from my Nokia 6.2 using Tapatalk

8. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    The wages won't be high

9. CheGuevara

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I'm not fussed either way. He has good experience and is definitely capable. Doesn't excite me particularly but will do a job I'm sure as a replacement for Bayo.

I am more concerned about centre half and left back. These positions are defo a priority as far as I'm concerned

10. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

You need a blend in a squad all good managers recognise that..

Bayo out and Fletcher in strengthens the squad and that's what we need to do every window.

MJ9 and Dannybhoy81 like this.
  11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Really like how the media are throwing curve balls in.

Canny wait to see the announcement from Celtic tomorrow now.

:56:

Steven Fletcher has been offered a one-year contract by Celtic after the 33-year-old striker rejected a new deal with Sheffield Wednesday.

But no agreement between the player and the Scottish champions has been reached as yet.

Fletcher, who has 33 caps for Scotland, has also been offered longer-term deals by two of Wednesday's English Championship rivals.

Celtic's offer comes with the option of a further year.

Fletcher, who began his career with Hibernian before moves to Burnley and Wolverhampton Wanderers, spent four years with Wednesday after leaving Sunderland.

He scored 13 goals in 30 appearances last season as Wednesday finished in 16th place.

Celtic manager Neil Lennon has spoken of his desire to strengthen his attacking options amid speculation that French striker Odsonne Edouard is attracting potential suitors.

The 22-year-old started the new Premiership season on Saturday with a hat-trick in a 5-1 win over Hamilton Academical, after which Lennon said it was "pivotal" to his side's hopes of securing a 10th consecutive league title that Edouard remains at the Glasgow club

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  12. Foley1888

I think he would be a decent signing, an experienced striker who can chip in with goals, play as a loan striker or in a pair due to their hold up and link play. He has also scored goals everywhere he has been. Other than Eddy I don’t think Klimala or Griff are at there best with one up top.

At 33 he is at the tail end of his career, but on a reasonable deal I think could prove to be a shrewd piece of business.

13. smokie899

Fav Celtic Player:
    s.brown
    As always I will reserve judgement until I see him play. One thing mind and I said this about lennon taking up the job again. Experience is what's needed to get 10 then we can gamble more on youths and lesser know players for 11, 12, 13...

14. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
  15. bhoy_wonder Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
    Christ.

16. MJ9 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    The King
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    As has been said if it’s in place of bayo while he goes out to get minutes elsewhere and it’s for the season I don’t see the harm in it. Not going to be on massive wages either. Eddy, griff, klimala and him is more than enough to get us over the line. If it’s in place of griff or a replacement for eddy then it’s bullshit though.

17. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

He had a good season last year and I think he would do well here but this better not mean we are giving up on Toney/Ajeti.

18. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
  19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Slaw likes this.
  20. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

If this is the case I’m 100% all for this. Always wanted us to sign Fletcher.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.