1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Stephen Welsh

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Henrik 07, Aug 29, 2019.

Discuss Stephen Welsh in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
  2. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I’m honestly not convinced he’ll ever be good enough to be a regular here, but for the time being a loan is best move.

3. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    If that's the case and the club think that too not sure why we haven't been open to offers, as some of the touted ones have been reasonable, unless Welsh himself is not that open to moving.

But get this is your take and not the clubs.

4. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Completely my own take, but I’d argue that the European quota issue alone is a strong reason for us not selling.

NomDePlum likes this.
  5. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    I'd like to see him get a loan to a club/league similar to the one Johnston is at. I'm not sure that both he and Jenz will be at the club next season, so probably makes sense to send him out for 6 months to see how he develops.

NomDePlum likes this.
  6. celtic warrior

I'd keep him.

Only reason being is Starfelt is a bit questionable with injuries.

CCV will need rotating which just leaves us with Kobi. I honestly don't see where we could get a CB who is better than Welsh, happy to be 4th choice and I guess, someone who helps fill the homegrown rule etc...

I say this because I don't the club will sign Jenz even though I wouldn't be against signing him if we can get him for anything under £2.5mill

The_Bhoy likes this.
  7. Foley1888

I haven’t seen enough of Lawal and he too has had interest but I get the impression from actions of the club that Welsh is filling a club trained slot until Lawal is ready to take on that prospect 4th choice CB slot. Lawal still only being 19 and having been here 18 months by the time he is 21 will meet the criteria.

I also think the same with Bain and Oluyemi and if we can keep him long enough Vata and Forrest.

McCarthy is currently our spare along with what happens to McCarthy.

I personal would like to see Summers treated the same way to Turnbull, but the only issue is what Turnbull would do if offered an extension as his current deal is up in 18 months.

8. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Why?

9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Earlier today, we reported that Hajduk Split were interested in signing Stephen Welsh. However, Scottish transfer journalist Mark Hendry has now revealed that the player is also the subject of interest from MLS clubs.

Writing in Football Scotland blog, Hendry indicated that the defender, who has previously received offers from Udinese and Toulouse, could see some movement with his future this month. He said: “I’d be surprised, honestly, if Welsh stuck around beyond January. It’s obvious Postecoglou likes him, but with the other options ahead of him it’s not looking good for his future in Glasgow.”

Speaking directly about links to the USA, Hendry wrote: “There have been approaches from clubs in MLS, and I expect there to be more movement later in the week.”

Welsh has made a number of appearances since breaking through from the club’s youth academy a few years ago. He is yet to nail down a regular place in the team and has been blighted by injury at various times. That said, he is an avid Celtic supporter and valuable squad player. Therefore, it is unlikely he will be pushing for a move or hastily closing the door on experiencing more memorable moments with his boyhood heroes. Should the club accept an offer, then the ball is very much in the player’s court. He will have a decision to make and may be agreeable in order to get more game time.

It’ll be interesting to see how this one develops over the next few weeks.

Dan Breen likes this.
  10. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Don't think he will ever be a starter for us in that position of the park. Its too key and I don't think he has the quality to be a mainstay.

11. Sgt Neppers*

Wise he moves to play and continue his progression.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  12. StainseyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Andy Hinkel !!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    He's never let us down, homegrown, young. He looks better than Ralston when he first got into the squad.
    Loan him out

singer61 and The_Bhoy like this.
  13. 88jimmij88

Fav Celtic Player:
    KT
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grand old team to play for
    I'd prefer him to go on loan, mainly so we can bring him back for the European squad quota.

That's if we don't have any other homegrown players that will be pushing to get in the European squads. Johnston seems to be doing well in Portugal and staying injury free. Vata and Lawal look promising too. If any of them are in Ange's plans, then would maybe accept a decent bid for Welsh.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  14. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    As other guys have said; he’s never put a foot wrong for us. But if he’s not gonna have a chance with us realistically in the future I’d sell instead of keeping just for the quota. Get in a young 17/18/19 year old prospect for that quota. Welsh could play for any English championship side, Scot’s prem side and multiple leagues elsewhere. Think he should move for his own good now unfortunately. Him as a replacement for porteous (when he leaves) would be a great move for Hibs

15. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    He's about 5th choice here... time to move

Dan Breen likes this.
  16. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I'm a fan of Welsh but this bit is not true. He has had a few howlers, seem remember one against Livingston when they beat us last season for example, although he's been solid enough for us more often than not.

Deffo needs game time though. Would love to loan him out and keep him on the books, but if he feels he needs a permanent move then so be it.

AdamRS likes this.
  17. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Ship has sailed for him, best he goes to the States and makes himself a few bob, he is too old now to still be a project. Much better channeling resources/efforts in Lawel's direction.

18. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Don't see the point of a loan tbh, better for him and us if he moves on.

19. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    We know he's not good enough and so does the manager.... Its why he's 5th choice so having him there to fill a qouta is pointless bcoz he's never gonna play in Europe. He'd be a waste of a place in the squad. I'd rather just name a strong 24 man squad than have him sit about for another year

20. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Simple biology. Even he needs rest.