1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Stephen Welsh

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Henrik 07, Aug 29, 2019.

Discuss Stephen Welsh in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Cobbs67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy and Danny
    More than happy for him to be part of the squad next season. With Jullien out for a good part of the start of the season can see him keeping his place in the side just with the amount of other players that we are going to need to sign

2. cas79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    This Bhoy gets it and can only get better with more game time, for me he's been the one shining lights in a * season

Sent from my M2007J17G using Tapatalk

martin_d, Big C, paulmcq1888 and 2 others like this.
  3. KG-Henrik

It’s catch 22 with players like this. He is absolutely not good enough to be playing for Celtic regularly. But at the same time he is clearly improving with lots of game time. Fine as a 4th-5th choice for next season.

4. jambo_cfc

totally agree , good 4th choice to have if playing 2 cb’s ! If playing 3 then 5th choice ! We need two dominant cb’s if im honest as i see ajer leaving !

made in ireland likes this.
  5. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Based on what though? Has he put a foot wrong since he had his chance?

We need to bring through home grown talent for not only Europe but also since we are coming out of The EU work permits etc.

We have been guilty in the past for not giving young players a chance and this lad is getting better each game.

martin_d, ArturBorucCSC, Slaw and 8 others like this.
  6. StanP19

Fav Celtic Player:
    Stilian Petrov
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    This.

Every time I’ve seen this lad play he has hardly put a foot wrong for me. Be interesting to see if the new manager fancies him or not.

Big C, Liam Scales and The_Bhoy like this.
  7. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Not sure why there's an extended discussion about his height, maybe when he's caught out for lack of height it can be argued he's not tall enough but for now it's a non-issue.

He's grew into the role and he's been steady thus far, he's definitely in the side just now on merit.

8. KG-Henrik

I just think he looks average on everything he does. Whether that’s being commanding in the box, positional sense, in possession. I’m unconvinced if he’s goin to be any better than a bog standard SPFL player. Like I said, he looks like he’s getting better with game time. I’m not holding out much hope that he’ll be better than the likes of Jack Hendry tho.

made in ireland likes this.
  9. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    It's fair enough if you don't rate him, but this is a ridiculous take mate, he's quite clearly streets ahead of Hendry when he was with us.

10. FranceCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - McGregor, Past - Lubo
    I'd actually like to see more youth players, and youth signings like Connell, coming through. We can't compete spending-wise any more with the big boys, and £3-5m doesn't get much these days, so the only way to have truly top class players is to bring through our own. That, combined with a spine of good quality established players who we could spend more on (ie 2x£10m players rather than 5 or 6 £3-5m players), would be a good system going forward, imo.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  11. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    How so? Hasn't put a foot wrong so far.

Ideally, I'd like someone in who is a level above but Welsh certainly has a role to play next season. He should definitely be getting game time for the foreseeable.

It was obvious that he deserved more game time this season on several occasions and he'll definitely be called on again next season when players need a rest/get injured.

Would be YPOTY for us easily if there was no David Turnbull.

martin_d likes this.
  12. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Teams like Ajax, PSV, Benfica Porto ALWAYS trust in youth whether that be in a few positions or the 1. Welsh is the perfect example of what we should be doing....a player comes in, doesn’t do anything to warrant being dropped. Stick with him as first choice until he warrants otherwise. The teams I mentioned do this regularly and consistently make millions off their players because they stick with them and allow them to play.

people saying they want better? What’s better? Boyata * up more than welsh has, Duffy falls into the bracket of “better” as he’s Irish captain and a prem footballer. The grass isn’t always greener and we (judging by our current recruitment could go out and spend £5 mil on a dud).
    Let Welsh keep his spot until he shows anything otherwise fs

JML67, martin_d, Rydo1888* and 6 others like this.
  13. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

We've still conceded an unbelievable amount of goals from set-pieces with him in the side, he rarely wins the first header..

Hes not quick either, but his positional sense is sound which compensates to an extent.

Composed and assured though and has seized his chance.. Fair play to him, let's see what happens.

14. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I can’t remember a headed goal he’s been beaten to.

I think he has improved us majorly in that department, unfortunately he’s not the only player we’ve got defending.

*, it doesn’t even look like we have a system of defending set pieces.

15. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I've not seen him win many defensive headers, nobody seems to, seems to get on his fair share of attacking headers tho which is good.

At 20, he's young for CB so plenty to come hopefully.

Hammy89 and Liam Scales like this.
  16. trackebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    ANDY THOM
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    He will win his fair share of headers with another CB that is better in the air than Ajer will help. It could also help if our LB & RB are not midgets in football terms.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    JC Anton likes this.
  17. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    He’s very good at keeping people going for it, away from it, as well. It’s clever defending.

I really like him. He’s an all rounder for me, his covering in behind both Ajer and Kenny yesterday was excellent.

Kent tried to run at him twice, got tackled easily twice and then didn’t try it again for the rest of the game.

As a 20 year old defender, I can’t wait to see how he develops.

18. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Exactly, Kent is no slouch and although he’s not the messiah he’s made out to be he does have a great touch for the standard of our league. Welsh dealt with the best opposition player in our league easily. And also covered for both Ajer and Kenny many a time when they were caught out position like you said. Think the game yesterday was the making of him hopefully!

bhoy81 likes this.
  19. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Jack Hendry was utter * from the get go. Welsh’s reading of the game clearly shows when he is playing. He is tidy doesn’t really waste time and does the simple thing. Plus he has been good in the air. His positional sense has been one of the aspects for his game people are giving him praise for.

20. callumrae1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Reminds me of Erik Sviatchenko

littlekennie and martin_d like this.