1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Stephen Welsh

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Henrik 07, Aug 29, 2019.

Discuss Stephen Welsh in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Not saying he is, but how has he been the one to not play, even in the games alongside Duffy he looked the better player but Duffy has kept getting games

2. TheHappyLoss

Worth a try much as Willo Flood and Josh Thompson were

3. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Really odd how he just disappeared after playing a few games and doing reasonably well.

4. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

I don’t think he’s the answer either. But playing a haddy, who is on loan and isn’t actually our player, when we could give game time to a reasonably decent academy product doesn’t sit right with me.

Welsh has looked the more assured out of the two. At least he can control the ball and pass it to a teammate. And isn’t towing a caravan.

5. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Aye at least play the youngster with a future here..

Playing Duffer and Bitton the side does no one any favours..

Bitton should be out the door pronto also and new, capable, actual centre halves in..

6. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Without playing more youth players we will never find this out and depend on January loans and similar to plug gaps.

Welsh looks accomplished enough for the SPL. Playing him for a season or 2 reasonably often gives us a real chance of assessing him. If he's not good enough move him on and bring another through in his place. Having some top-level experience also likely means he could generate some cash too. At present we seem to let our youth hang about without testing or capitalizing on them.

7. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

It woukdnt be hard to be more assured than Duffy. The thing I noticed about Welsh, is he'd play a very safe pass, usually to the full back but when under any kind of pressure would hoof it. Didnt seem to be physically ready for me, either.

I really dont rate the boy at all. Might go on to have a decent career but I dont think it'll be here. Same goes for Hazard actually

david100825 likes this.
  8. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Think he needs a loan spell and then make a call. Suspect if he was going to make it, we would have seen more of him. Still young enough, so would be ideal to go out on loan, to an SPL side.

9. Pearse67*

Havent really seen anything to suggest he will make it as a first teamer here.

10. stew37

I haven't seen anything to suggest he wouldn't, other than our manager not giving him enough of a chance. He plays midfielders and Duffy in his position before him. He's done fine in any game he's played in as far as I remember.

11. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    In a nutshell!!!! Lennon has potentially ruined the confidence of both Welsh and Hazard. Both done very little wrong and certainly weren't replaced by players on better form. They were replaced by players who are bomscares/favourites or simply ones he can hide behind the old experience bullshit.

stew37 likes this.
  12. celtic warrior

Lennon dropped him after doing very little wrong and in comparison to others was actually on some level of form.

Seems like Lennon can't be * with finding a settled defence, midfield and attack is what he cares about.

Thing is, if Lennon was the type of guy who'd be able to approach and discuss this with I'd hope Welsh would be in his ear, pestering him and near enough ripping his head off for picking Bittton and Duffy ahead of him. Lennon isn't though and would likely just tell any player who does it to * off and not question his authority.

13. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    At the end of the day, I would rather now see him play ahead of known bombscare Duffy

14. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

One of best players on Monday but benched yesterday.

The absolute desperation is so clear to see that we feel like we have to just play as many first teamers as possible. Duffy & Bitton who have both been very poor was probably a easy choice for NL and co. Sums it up.

martin_d, Tommy25 and honda like this.
  15. stew37

Missed the game yesterday, can't remember last game i haven't seen but was too busy with work.

I only found out Welsh was dropped after the game. I'm not sure it would have changed the result but I just don't understand the decision making at the club at the moment, it's truly perplexing from top to bottom.

I'd honestly prefer the fans were picking the team at the moment. I don't know what the management team are seeing when they watch our games.

martin_d likes this.
  16. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    I've no even looked at who started yesterday or anything. That's how finished I am under this lot..

I agree about Welsh though against Hibs. He was excellent I thought and particularly his distribution, which I was unsure about..

Hearing he'd been dropped again. Lol..

martin_d and Luis1967 like this.
  17. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Not sure what message it sends out to the young guys when they come in and play well but get dropped a few days later for someone just because they are older and more experienced. Welsh is 20 now to he should be starting to play first team or leave to play if he’s not gonna get a chance.

Don’t think under the current management we will take anyone up from the youth, seems pretty set against giving anyone a proper shot.

stew37 likes this.
  18. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    He's pretty much ruining the boy..

After the Huns and Milan that was always gonna be the case..

19. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Dane Murray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McChiellini.. likes this.
  20. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    As much as I agree, soon as he puts a foot wrong we’d rip him to shreds anyway.

As much as we say play youngsters, we rip to shreds. Currently doing it to Frimpong.

Dan Breen likes this.