1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Stephen McManus

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Paul67, Apr 27, 2008.

Discuss Stephen McManus in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. celticmad117

Fav Celtic Player:
    The holy goalie, arthur boruc
    good 1st 2 seasons, making him captain put to much pressure on him, has had his passing effecting and his abilsty to defende and has become quite poor and he isnt captain material either.
    But the problem with are squad is that we have had a lack of regular leaders(bar boruc), maybe hartly would be good but i doubt he will be back to his bit part role next season nowand wasnt a choice at the start

2. Tamster

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom McAdam
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    100% agree mate.NEVER a captain in a million years.He is a squad player at best.End of story.

3. Sideshow Bob

ma two bobs wroth -

We all know Mick was on the way out under O'neill and imo was never given a fair crack at the whip because of the CH pairing at the time. I Think McManus has done well under Strachan, certainly surprised me, so good when the armband was up for grabs the majority of us looked towards McManus, admit it yes we did....
    I personally (other than maybe Boruc) can't remember anyone else being touted for Captain.

The last two seasons he's hardly put a foot wrong, and we've had to endure almost every other player coming under the microscope for abuse, Naylor, Wilson, Nakamura, Mcgeady, JVOH, Caldwell, Graveson, JJ, so maybe it's just his turn to have an off season or an off spell as almost every other player has had one. But looking at the CH's we have currently O'Dea, Balde and JFK? that's it one long term injured player one player who'll never see the light of day (Balde) and a bench warmer. That is it ladies and gents. Caldwell has had his kick up the * for woefully poor performances and is showing better performance, although i do shudder at the thought of him at right back position, and it's only the last handful of appearances he's begun to turn it around..

Until we get a rated CH to challenge for starting spot we have a CH pairing that are perhaps too complacent to get the finger out at times, who can perform at below par because they show enough in training and know that there's no one else good enough to play in front of them. As for Captain, I see Boruc as the only other Contender for the armband.

Oh and Caldwell.........well i still think he's a * :icon_mrgreen:

4. calabam81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    i dont rate in and never hav , hes a big honest defender but thats it

5. mmmikey

Fav Celtic Player:
    McStay, Moravcik, Di Canio, LARSSON!
    I think in the early days when McManus was at his best for us he was still far from the finished article - but being yonug we expected him to improve. He hasnt really improved that much and now with his form dipping hes really looking like a liability - I think dropping him next season and new competition could be the kick up the * required.

I wouldn't argue about the Captaincy as these things usually decide themselves. 99% of the time with any given group of players the Captain will be a standout so I doubt the wrong decision was made. Also I think Boruc would have been a disaster - yes he shouts a lot but the guy is a bona fide nutter / hothead - certainly not captains material in my eyes.

6. alsybhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc, larrson,lubo,jinky,
    Fav Celtic Song:
    let the people sing,ynwa,sean south,on the one road
    dont agree .the mans our captain and is defo a leader needs some more help at the bak tho

7. timthebhoy1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Aiden McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    What a whole entire lot of * Paul. Can you please explain how Caldwell has overtaken McManus as our main CB. Caldwell was villified after the Barca game and the majority of Celic Fans wanted shot of him. Now because he has played very well against the huns in the last 2games he is our best CB. Not a Chance!!!

What basic errors does McManus make? He hardly puts a foot wrong. I can only recal off the top of my head one glaring mistake and that was again Shaktar. With Caldwell and Bobo I can think of a lot more.

How do you show leadership? You lead by example. You play the way that you want every1 else to play. He gives 100% every game, never shirks a tackle. He does his job as a CB effectivley. Why at Celic are we looking for our CB to ping balls down the wings? In my view, a CB is there to stop as many balls as possible getting to the goal. To do the simple thing at all times. If that means put it in row z if there is a chance of danger, so be it. There are other players in the Celtic team who are there to ping balls and start moves. Not a CB job. At the huns they have this suppossed great defence. All they do is the simple thing. And really our defence has performed better in the league this season.

It really is just Caldwell and Mick for captain. Boruc is a great keeper. That is it. As the song says he is off his * rocker. Also the fact that he keeps on saying that he might be looking for a new challenge means for me that he aint Celtic captain material. I wont my club captain to be totally committed and not even contemplating a move away.

Big Mick is the captain, the best man for the job. And dont you think that things like this get back to him at some point and could effect him? Support him!!!!:celt_2:

8. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    We'll agree to disagree.

P.S, a simple I don't agree would have been sufficient.

9. IrishAsh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Bhoys of the Old Brigade
    only 2 people we need to replace in the back from yesterdays performance is naylor and mcmanus. i guess your a man who would run with his captain against 50,000 men in a war.

10. Dempsey

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc & McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Its called a dip in form, lets not go nuts yet

11. BringItHome!CE

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil Lennon.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields
    Wether he has the abaility or not i do not know, but one thing is for sure, he is 100% Celtic that's what makes a captain if he can combine that with performances.

12. BringItHome!CE

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil Lennon.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields
    Wether he has the abaility or not i do not know, but one thing is for sure, he is 100% Celtic that's what makes a captain if he can combine that with performances.

13. Martin

I agree

14. Martin

Bolloks

15. BringItHome!CE

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil Lennon.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields
    Hardy Har Har :icon_mrgreen:

16. Japanesebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Sutton, Thompson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry, Willie Maley
    Wasn't Big Mick a Partick supporter in his childhood? :fear:

17. AndyCFC

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul Hartley
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The "Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink" song!
    :ynwaceltiNot sure about McManus as captain. Too one sided and has made some costly mistakes this season. He is not good enough to be the leader and is not always aware of whats going on round about him. A big quiet man at the back is not what we need. :shamrock:

18. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Never was in agreement on McManus being made captain last summer. He is a solid hard working honest pro but no way should be be Celtic Captain.

19. randy

Fav Celtic Player:
    paul mc stay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    let the people sing
    think the other candidate was pressley so i'm glad mick got it tbh. he's no billy mc neill but he's the best possible captain in the squad

20. ellboy

Fav Celtic Player:
    BOBO,AIDEN,ATRUR,NAKA
    Pressley was a candiate for the armband, you got to be joking.

Wait a minute I can see the logic stick the band round his mince pies and just maybe he wouldn´t be so pish. Perhaps if he couldn´t see the play he wouldn´t have made so many gaffs.:icon_mrgreen: