1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Season 22/23 Expectations

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by LectersLuncheon, Jul 25, 2022.

Discuss Season 22/23 Expectations in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    At the end of last season, with a fantastic squad, and CL money to invest further, I was of the opinion that this title was as good as wrapped up, and indeed European football after Christmas would be a decent bet too.

But as it draws closer, Im starting to brick it.

Sevco (imo) have sold off two of their most overrated players, pocketed the change, and invested it.
    I didnt want slippy to leave, as i seriously believe the guy is a managerial dud, and whilst appearing more adept, ive no real fear about the midgets tactical nous. But i still think we've a challenge on our hands.

Aberdeen and Hearts will be gunning domestically too.

So im keeping my expectations low.

League please.

Anything else is a plus as far as im concerned.

2. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    To hard to predict imo. It will be very close. Have we strenghtened? Im not so sure tbh. We lost Rogic who was one of our better players. But i do think that Jota and some other players will be even better this season, so we might get even more points compared to last season.

Controversial but the huns have got stronger imo. They sold the most overrated players as you say, and bought in some semi-decent players who would at least make their bench much stronger. But i dont think that their dressing room in party mode like our is.

3. Keano88

As things stand nothing we’ve done in the market has strengthened our starting XI from last season imo. I think Bernabei will come good and prove to be an upgrade on Taylor but looks like he’ll take a bit of time to settle into the system.

That said, even though the personnel is the same I still think we’ll be a much better team than last year due to the players now knowing their roles rather than learning them on the job like last year. We’ve already seen glimpses of it during pre-season, where we’ve played some fantastic, quick, one-touch stuff and if we’d been treating them as serious games we’d have won every game comfortably.

One thing that makes me confident regarding the league is there is no chance we get off to the same terrible start we did last year, so considering we won the league by 4 points whilst gifting them that head start and missing Kyogo and Turnbull for 4/5 months you have to feel confident.

Treble is attainable but I’ll settle for another double. As for Europe just being competitive in the home games would be a real improvement. Minimum aim should be third and a run in the Europa, but considering the groups we could be in we’ll need to wait for the draw to set expectations there.

A quality DM and RW/ST before the window closes would be ideal.

4. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    League and gallons of hun tears please.

5. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    As always for me it's all about the league and the cl money it brings. I think the two teams are close, we can look at it with green tinted glasses, they have a lot of unknowns but I fancy them to be a more rounded team than last season. I also fancy them not to struggle game to game to get over the line like they did a lot last season. They left a lot of teams alive in games Ross county, Motherwell, Dundee United spring to mind where they should have been home and dry, yet ended up dropping points. So for me it comes down to two things, hunger and experience in those awkward away games. Both of which we had in spades over them last season. Think we have tougher games to the first sevco game, we might start a bit slow too but I reckon we will pull a few big signings/loans at end of window and think we will prob win the league with couple games to spare

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

6. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

People can claim our XI hasn't been strengthened but a starting XI doesn't win you leagues; a squad does and IMO our squad is certainly stronger.

Seigrist is a far better GK than Barkas & Bain.

I've seen enough of Bernebei to believe he'll oust Taylor in the coming weeks.

Jens looks athletic and an upgrade on Bitton that we've had to ask to step in on 1 too many occasions.

Add to the continuity of having this squad together for a full pre-season together after a well-earned rest. Jota is going to go up a notch, Hatate has looked fantastic in the first few friendlies, Maeda will terrorise defences after his rest and big Giakoumakis will be gunning to make the CF spot his, with Kyogo coming back in.

There's still a few additions to the squad I'd like to see and if MJ & Julien head out this summer, we'll be looking for options there too.

Patience was requested with Ange, as he was touted as a '2nd season manager' when his plans really start coming to fruition. Yet he went out and won a double despite all the challenges of last season. Buckle in Bhoys, this is going to be a cracker.

7. Guchi Gucci Gold Member Gold Member

League.
    Either cup.
    Europa after Christmas, and get through a knockout.

8. JamesM09

I think the league and a cup and play some good football is about my expectation.

In Europe I’m very pessimistic. I’d love for us to do well but I think it’s still beyond us for the style we play. It will take more time and one or two more players brought in - I’d love to be proved wrong though.

On the European front, knocking someone out of the Europa League would be exceptional this season IMO.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  9. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    League is always the bread and butter.

10. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    We are far from the finished article. Hopefully I'm wrong but I still don't think we have solved our LB position and we still need a big strong CDM. Yes, we can play fast fluid football at times but we are still so lightweight and will struggle in Europe against the big athletic foreign teams and perhaps some of our domestic opponents. Saying that, I still believe we will win the league and, with any luck, still be in Europe after Christmas

11. john2061

Just i as I type this the zombies have bought their seventh signing and have spent a bit of money and gambling again to get to the champions League.
    I still think we should still bring in three quality players to win the league this season as it will be tougher this year .
    I have low expectations for the champions League and if we can get third place and get into the last 16 or quarter finals of the Europa League.

12. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    Badly want improvement in Europe, fed up going 2-0 up against teams then losing the game.

Domestically the league is number one, Not bothered about the two cup competitions in all honesty

13. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    No doubt in my mind we're gonna jump up a level again. We have a good squad yes, but more importantly the mentality within the squad is elite level. It's only a matter of time till we see things fall into place and our confidence will keep on growing as we go along.

Not gonna become complacent though...the scum will probably push us all the way in the league, which is why the strict 'one game at a time' philosophy is so vital. Making that an automatic mindset is absolutely pivotal.

I want the league first and foremost. Do I expect it? I'd rather avoid that kind of attitude at the minute. Same goes for the CL. I think we have the potential to get through the group stages but I'm determined to keep myself grounded until I see us shifting up that new gear.

The domestic cups will take care of themselves if things go the way I hope. If they do, we'll get at least one, possibly both.

Other than that I just expect a * load of mud-slinging by the press, countless dodgy decisions going in Triggers Broom FC's favour, and daft wee guys thinking they're hard as * singing songs that they have no clue about the origins of.

It will be a rollercoaster without a doubt.

14. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    We dropped 11 points in our first 7 games last season, that isn't happening again. We had dropped 6 points before deadline day, Kyogo played 10 minutes against hearts, the team hadn't gelled. We now have the post January strength from the get go

15. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Top 6 finish and at least the QF of the Ramsdens Cup

Gully Sands and NakamuraTastic like this.
  16. BigDoggyWoofWoof

Expectations are to win the league and to get a win or two away from home in Europe. Had too many years of poor European performances with the excuse of the League rolled out as justification. Has to end if we're to move forward as a club.

17. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Minimum should be to win the league and a cup.

I'd also like to see European football beyond Christmas, albeit that will depend on the draw for the group.

Rydo1888* likes this.
  18. leeso-ardoyne

This season could go either way. Ange will still have it drilled into the players to preform better and we'll have some amazing football, steam roll teams and come away with treble or double. Or, it could be a frustrating season. Players have there contracts signed and sealed and won't have the same hunger and drive to give thst wee bit extra that they would've last season and we end up with a frustrating season with lots of draws and the Huns doing what they always have done against us, sit in and hit us on the attack and win!

I think it's going to be tighter than some think with the Huns. Last season if they had of Beat us at parkhead in the 1-1 draw, the run in to the last few games would have been alot different. They had there chances in the second half to beat us if I remember right. Was a frustrating second half.

With that said, I can't wait for it to all start again. Massive part of all our lives and hopefully come May, we'll have another treble and a great European run.

LectersLuncheon likes this.
  19. PaddyJamieson

Aye, no point ignoring it, the huns seem to have bought well. It's going to be very close again this year, as I expect it will be for years to come. Still, we have enough to win at least the league and a cup, and that's what I'm expecting.

20. DJ CJ

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wanyama
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    The league and not to get embarrassed in all 6 champions league games.

Gully Sands likes this.