1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Scott Sinclair!

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by TicFan88, Aug 6, 2016.

Discuss Scott Sinclair! in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    We’d be as well signing Usain Bolt if the most important part of being a winger is the running past your man..

Who cares about the goals, assists and end product? As long as we have someone that can run past the opposition every time

2. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

His stats are excellent. But they paper over cracks. His positioning and attack instincts are phenomenal, has a real knack of being in the right place. But his overall play has, without any doubt at all, been well below par for well over a year. In the past 18 months Sinclair has had a few purple patches amongst patches(majority) of utter dung

3. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    I also think he has not been as good in the last 18 months; however, there is more to a winger than just being able to take on a man for me. As you said, his positioning is what makes his stats very good. He does a lot of work off the ball and is a player who pops up with big game goals.

I remember McGeady was criticised back in the day for being able to run rings round his man but his end product was limited. In Sinclair we have got someone with unquestionable end product. It’s just that in 2016/2017 he was running rings round his man and also had the exceptional end results.

4. Maestro 08

There's some truth to what you say but it's completely irrelevant as Lennon obviously doesn't fancy him. I think he wants someone who will contribute goals and assists as Sinclair does but will also work hard front to back and commit players as well. I.e Mikey Johnstone. Sinclair isn't Lennons cup of tea and he's also pretty much bombed shved out for the same. Bags of ability but won't get a look in until he starts doing the hard yards. That's from the horses mouth.

Whoflungdung likes this.
  5. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

I get what you're saying but Sinclair has been doing that good work very sporadically. Almost half of his goals last season came in just 3 games, one of those against Airdrie. Hes scored one league goal since January. Was useless in last years qualifiers barring a late go vs AEK. The thing is when he isnt scoring and low on confidence, hes looks absolutely lost.

There are times when he cant take on a man and literally all hes good for is a tap in, which is valuable of course but in terms of creating chances he can be a man down at times. Our left flank was limp last season

Maestro 08 likes this.
  6. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

It's a good thing for Celtic that Sinclair is no longer in or around the team. Excellent servant but it was time to move on.

7. JamesM09

Sinclair clearly divides opinion but I would say if he's still here for another year he should be in contention for a squad place.

I'm still convinced he could've made a difference vs. Cluj in the qualifiers. He gets a lot of stick but he clearly still has quality and experience against a team like that. If we extended him solely to play that tie and get us through instead of bringing on Morgan it would've been worth the full year's salary.

Whoflungdung likes this.
  8. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Attacking wasnt an issue against Cluj.

Dan Breen likes this.
  9. JamesM09

Completely agree. We lacked experience, composure, ability to retain the ball and control tempo on the left side.

Sinclair would've brought that without completely removing our attacking threat. Instead we had Morgan playing.

Sinclair would've offered Bolingoli a reliable out ball and decent cover on the left in the 1st leg. In the second leg they could've started together and we would've been comfortable.

10. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Honestly I feel like Morgan was the least of our problems that night. Sinclair wouldnt have stopped Browns inexplicable hand ball or Bain flapping.

I get what you're saying but I don't think Sinclair was the answer that night

11. JamesM09

Fair enough, not playing Sinclair wasn't the only issue obviously, and of course we could still win or lose with or without him.

But I do believe his experience on the left side over the two ties would've made the difference, if only to help calm the nerves which is what ultimately cost us - like you say Brown + Bain, and probably loads of other silly mistakes that went largely unnoticed.

I think we'll show it was only pressure that cost us that tie when we play them home and away with less pressure in the group.

12. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
  13. Mr. Slippyfist

Looks like he's bulked up a bit.

14. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Career in boxing.:boxing:

15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Neil Lennon is set to hold clear-the-air talks with Scott Sinclair as he looks to re-integrate him back into the Celtic squad, Football Insider understands.

The winger, 30, has been frozen out of the Hoops team this season despite having an outstanding record at the club, who triggered a one-year extension to his contract just when his previous deal was set to expire at the end of the last campaign.

A Celtic source has told Football Insider that Lennon is ready to hold out the olive branch to Sinclair during talks ahead of the return of the domestic programme this weekend.

Sinclair posted a social media video last weekend of himself working hard in the Lennoxtown gym in a bid to revive his Hoops career.

The clip yielded tens of thousands of views as well as hundreds of replies from supporters shocked at the treble treble winners’ fall from grace in recent times.

Sinclair has had just 56 minutes of first-team action this season and has failed to even make the matchday 18 for the last four European ties as well as the 2-0 win over Rangers at Ibrox before the international break.

The former Aston Villa and Manchester City attacker appeared certain to leave Parkhead before the Scottish window shut on Monday of last week, but he stayed put.

One hurdle for Sinclair to secure a new club is he is one of Celtic’s highest earners on around £30,000-a-week and he would want a similar deal at a new team.

Derby County and Sunderland were among the clubs who looked at signing him during the summer, but could not agree a deal.

16. freitassen

I consider the treatment he is getting appalling, but my side on this has always been clear.

There is something we call in brazil the "useless goals striker". A guy that has awesome statistics, but then when you have a closer look at when were those goals and good performances, it was always against bad teams, in already decided matches... loads of goals when your team is already winning 3-1, or else, goals that any * that wasnt made of ectoplasm wouldnt also score.

The last match when Sinclair made the difference was a game against Aberdeen last year. Before that, he was already in a bad form for a while. He surely had an one and a half very good years for Celtic and we should be grateful to him for that and treat him with respect. Nothing more than that. These one year and a half I mentioned were the best moment of his career, he scored more goals for Celtic than in all his previous 12 (!) clubs combined. His bad patch does not look like an uncommon period than one day will be over, more the other round.

Surely he is more useful than Morgan but honestly this shouldn't be the benchmark to be good enough for Celtic. Nevermind the highest earner in the club. Benching Johnstone or Elyounoussi now on his favour would be criminal. We should really thank him for his services and allow him to get a good paycheck at the Championship

Renewing his contract on those terms was a serious mistake. Treating him this way after that is even worse.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    Slaw likes this.
  17. cammy07

In Scotland we call him kris boyd

18. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

There is always room for improvement, & Morelos is definitely trying to surpass it.

bagforlife, cammy07 and freitassen like this.
  19. Paul McAuley

Quality:rofl:

20. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    He made a major difference around Christmas, looked back to himself. Then dropped off again.

All he needs to do is work hard to get back in the team. That’s all. Not too much to ask for.

StPauli1916 and freitassen like this.