1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Sack the board

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by michaelthetim, Aug 28, 2014.

Discuss Sack the board in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    That for me is where I am at though, we have been through this time and time again, with excuse after excuse and folk always saying "wait till next year" or the likes.

Enough is enough, the record keeps playing and it is the same old tune. We need freshness at the top of this club, so that we can move forward.

fanakatic likes this.
  2. scootz

The last three points are certainly worthy of discussion, but your first three are pure filler and are neither here nor there

StPauli1916 likes this.
  3. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Fair do’s scootz just putting out there reasons why people could be * mate

scootz likes this.
  4. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

Just spend some money and we are all happy. Christ canyou imagine how happy we would all be if they even invested half of our bank balance into the team.

If there is one thing this board has proven they can do is turn around a debt back into profit. Christ almighty if they spent half the bank balance on the first team they may even make more money through European progress again. Getting out of the group stages these days pays ridiculous money.

I don't mind our making money year on year but when we are hitting the £40M+ mark you got to ask, what is the overall aim here? Why are we hoarding and hoarding cash? It's no good sat about when our first team is in serious need of quality additions.

The crazy thing about this is if we spent say £25M in one window. Not only would we all be made up but that kind of investment could carry us for years to come. Scott brown £4m and look at what a return we have had out of him. Time to learn from these examples

martin_d and Peej like this.
  5. John Bhoy79 What chance have you got against a tie and a crest

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson,Jinky,McGrory,Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Celtic have just won the treble. Our 3rd in a row. A new record. We have 52'000 season ticket holders with many more fans on a waiting list for one. We also have £30/40M sat in our bank account and that's before the ST money comes in. The board you'd think would be beyond reproach. And yet........they took the vanilla option in appointing NL, seemingly without even trying to hire a higher calibre of manager, one which could have gave the club a real boost the way BR and O'Neill did. The £9M received from Leicester for BR would have paid for such a guy for the next 3 seasons. The clubs transfer dealings have been shown to be far from what is required and what should be expected from a club of our size and resources. A reluctance to spend money, inability to get deals over the line, an inability to identify good players, money wasted on players who weren't needed or who were clearly not the standard required and a habit of neglecting certain positions(RB, LB) that need attention whilst overloading the squad with wide-men and midfielders. The ad-hoc appointment of our new DOF proves our lack of foresight and planning as does PL offering NL the job in the shower after the cup final. The board have also been shown to be impotent with several issues regarding sevco not least of them being the failure to have titles stripped. The club have also at times not been as vocal as they should with regards to defending our support from various slurs from the media. I think a lot of fans have taken the clubs reluctance to speak out over issues such as these as a sign the club is going about things quietly behind the scenes, keeping it's powder dry, before delivering some sort of knock-out blow but as time goes on it looks increasing likely that there is no master-plan or grand scheme. A Celtic fan can hardly complain too much about the football side of things at the moment but the people who are running the club don't appear to be the proficient experts we once thought they were.

6. TheHappyLoss

Spend about two thirds of the money we already have on three quality players and we can virtually guarantee 10 and maybe make a better fist of Europe which means higher income. Maybe over simplified but ffs let's push the boat out and stamp on the throat of our competitors for once .

martin_d, Jax Teller, Murph-E and 2 others like this.
  7. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Who cares. Why does it matter? Do you think that’s the first time a manager or player has been given contract news in a dressing room area?
    A minor embarrassment, but not as big a deal as has been made out. Lesson learned the hard way.
    That’s football, happens to every club. Totally invalid criticism.
    Lustig was quite professional with his media comments and then he gushed about how much he loved his time here.
    We haven’t lost anyone important, and most of the players that have left, would be in the category of needing to be moved on.
    Doesn’t mean we haven’t been trying to recruit, Turnbull deal proves we have.

The main frustration is not signing someone yet, and as fans it’s always frustrating because a lot of the time we’re in the dark about what’s going on. But if it was as easy to sign our targets all on the same day, it would have been done by now. But it’s not that simple. So often transfers can fall apart at the last minute, as we recently saw. Sometimes it’s the board’s fault (McGinn), sometimes it isn’t (Turnbull).

I’d hazard a guess that we enquire about players, make offers, or do some sort of negotiation, during a transfer window, on an almost daily basis. The process isn’t like football manager where it can be done in a few clicks. Most players of any ability will have more than one club trying to cajole them into signing, I imagine it’s quite a stressful process trying to recruit for a football club, with so much competition, and a need to work within a set budget.

Remember when Deila was manager, he said some agents just laughed at contracts we offered. As much as I’d like to see us spend a bit more - within reason - we face stiff competition from the financial advantages available down south. Despite us as a club having a lot of selling points, the SPFL is undoubtedly a difficult sell to some players. For every guy like Samaras, there’s more players who also aren’t fans of the club and will go with the better contract offer, or the stronger league.

There’s been a recurring theme of criticising the professionalism of the club recently, the way it operates. Personally I think a lot of it is hysterical conjecture. Moaning about where Lennon got given a job offer is clutching at straws in terms of things to moan about. I’ve accepted a job via phone call, while sitting on the toilet before, it just doesn’t * matter as long as I’m professional when I do the job. It’s an utterly stupid criticism.

The club tried to get the Turnbull deal done early and offered the asking price, but there’s nothing we can do if our offer is rejected and we’re not prepared to go higher.

People keep mentioning a lack of forward planning (not you specifically), but it’s just not true.

8. Ghotti Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Leigh
    This board was brought in to lower the expenditure/debt and raise profit/assets.
    They absolutely have that in their contracts and get paid/bonuses based off of these numbers. You can see this in Lawwells bonuses clear as day.

Now we have a surplus and lots of assets. Good job board.

But remember they will continue to lower expenditure/debt, raise profit/assets like some kind of brainless money hoarding zombie (even though we don’t need this anymore) because it’s how they get paid

They get paid for increasing the value of Celtic Park (adding fancy lights and grass), they get paid for improving youth facilities, they get paid for building a hotel. All this adds to Celtics market value/assets

Maybe they should get more bonuses for getting to the group stages of the champions league or something more performance related aswell as lowering debt. Because sometimes it does seem like something is not balanced properly in the mind of the board members.

I’ve never seen any of their contracts by the way so I’m just guessing, but I am familiar with how contracts and clauses/bonuses work

In summary
    We’ve had some solid managers and good players who have got us an amazing treble treble. And we’ve got a board who want to turn us into a theme park.

9. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Its not just about spending some money for me.

The whole manner in which we are going about things is wrong. Transfers and in general recruitment. I dont think we handled appointing Lennon very well and I dont think a whole lot of work went into finding a replacement for Rodgers.

It's about more than signing a £9m player and we will all be happy because that isn't enough.

10. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

Let's be honest. Most of us seen Lennon as the full time replacement even before the rat done one.

I agree the recruitment side of things is a joke mind

AnnoniOnAnawNoo likes this.
  11. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    We seen it coming aye but it doesn't make it right mate. Probably makes it worse if anything that we were all resigned to them making this appointment 2 or 3 months beforehand.

Not getting into all of that again because he is here and I support him but I cant help but feel we are being seriously slack in how we are doing everything.

2 of the biggest seasons in our history coming up.

12. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    Like all before him, Rodgers wasn’t backed well at all for me. He alluded to it several times before leaving. After the Valencia game specifically: “we are working within a budget of a bottom half Championship team” or words to that effect. An increased wage budget doesn’t ratify that, especially as much of that was spent on contract renewals of existing players. That in addition to inflation of wages in football - do not tell me that is not a thing when we have a 19 year old Motherwell player wanting circa 20k a week.

The transfer budget we are working in seems to be excessively minute given the financial situation we are in. We are working in a very similar price structure to 8-9 years ago which is boggling in my opinion.

When Lennon left in 2014 it was clear that he was similarly disenchanted with the way we conducted our business.

The board are running a fine line and continue to repeat the mistakes of yesteryear. The quality of our coaches during the 8 in a row to get the best out of our players has been the main proponent of our success. I don’t think the board have helped our managers when we consistently sell our best players and don’t really replace them with the adequate quality.

13. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Sorry but Rodgers quotes are like that of a snake oil salesman he * a lot of money on transfers and was idea for his buddy congerton to come in.... Celtic have the budget wage wise as a top half championship side not a bottom on he was backed better than deila it when he started * signings that the board pulled the money off him

Sent from my AUM-L29 using Tapatalk

Sydneysider likes this.
  14. Mo-Neill12

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larrson + Agathe
    Sack the 'fans' that believe what they read/hear from the negative media circus.

scootz and Sydneysider like this.
  15. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

Looks like the Turnbull / no one signed / won’t spend money / can’t get deals over the line options could be crossed off the list as well. Must not be counting the shved deal either.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  16. honda Gold Member Gold Member

I'm sure they pulled the money the exact moment he said to the board "bid £9m for McKenna" * lunatic.

littlekennie likes this.
  17. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Imagine if you fannies were turning up for work every day and * smashing it.
    Doing brilliant like you’ve never done before and earning a good coin for it as well.
    Your the best in your work at what you do. The Daddy.

Then some * half-baked * scratcher comes in one day and demands you get sacked coz they think what you do at your work is *. Pish. Rotten.
    They think your stealing money off them and the company.
    They moan that the company down the road is providing a similar service now despite the fact they aren’t anywhere near you and besides - you are the best at what you do in your field. By miles. You are The Daddy.

But these people still want you sacked.

You are these people.

18. Pacific Ocean Blue

StPauli1916 likes this.
  19. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    This is biggest load of utter pish ive ever read on this site.

The board are "daddies"?

We're 'half based * scratchers who come in one day"?

Weve been here before ANY major share holders, ANY board members, ANY chief executives have been here... weve been here putting FAR bigger chunks of OUR relative incomes into OUR * club , year after year than most of these "daddies".

And we'll still be here after theyve sold up and wandered off to their retirement homes. Still be here buying season books, kits, tv packages, merchandise... all of it.

Go sit in the corner ffs

littlekennie likes this.
  20. Pacific Ocean Blue

I'm away from this thread, full of absolute belters

StPauli1916 likes this.