1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Sack the board

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by michaelthetim, Aug 28, 2014.

Discuss Sack the board in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Think guys like @Blochairnbhoy may be better at this than me, but....

2005 we had Bank Debt of £19million.
    2006 after a share issue that was down to £9 million.

2010 it was down to £5.85million.

2018 we had that completely turned around and we had £27million in the bank, no debt.

Snapshot look at it, but this board came in and we had to reduce that debt, we have done that and then some.

Every year our penny pinching was glossed over by "we have debt" or "don't want to end up like the huns". Well it's long enough now, we have been out of debt for years now and we have money to be able to push a little forward. Yet this season just gone and the close season we are going for a cheap manager option, not looking at other candidates (Not even meanign Rafa or the obvious out of reach guys, but just ANY other candidate), we rely on loans, short term deals.
    We need an ENTIRE backline this season, yet we are waiting for a head of recruitment to come in next month.

When is enough enough for some folk??

I'm there!

Sack the board

2. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Always very easy to say that, it's up there with "don't want to end up like huns" for me.

Our success domestically has been phenomenal. But the past 2 seasons have been dug * to watch and we have witnessed a full backline leave the club, knowingly, and yet never done a thing about it. The success is going to be harder next year, that isn't the way we should be playing this. Not when the debt is gone and we are in money - no one is asking for it all to be spent on 2 players, but we need a full backline, we should have been preparing for this sort of thing

3. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    It’s easy to say that because it’s true. If for whatever reason we had ‘sacked the board’, in 2014, it’s unlikely we’d have just made history with the treble treble. Silly thread bump.

Rather than ‘never done a thing about it’, we did. Unfortunately our recruitment for defenders wasn’t good enough, bar maybe Benkovic.

Do you seriously believe the club haven’t been planning for needing new defenders? There’s literal evidence of the planning, leaked.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  4. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing, for both sides of this arugment.

Yes, I do believe nothing has been done regarding our defence...it is plain to see since we need minimal 4 players for the defence, knowingly so for 12 months that this is the case. Yet here we are, waiting for a guy to come in short term next month. With the only known player we have approached is a midfielder.

5. horseshoe

The state of the defence is just as much rodgers/congerton's fault as the board, they brought in compper and hendry in the one window and bigged them up like our problems were solved, last window toljan on loan for * knows how much in wages, and the pretty much forgotten about gamboa. I'm raging at the state of our defence as it stands, but there's a wee bit in the back of my mind relieved we didn't let them bring even more in.

6. Whoflungdung

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ryan Christie
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SOldiers song
    3 back to back trebles and we are in trouble on the park ????

7. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Still doesn't change the overall dealigns though. The defence is a current issue that should have been dealt with within the last 12months, but we didnt.

This is one part of a continued trend for 13 years now. The books show the money is there, yet we arent putting it forward. Is it that we dont want to? we dont trust the managers? we dont have the right scouts? the recruitment is wrong?

It's ongoing over a decade and over 4 or 5 managers now...the common denominator is the board. lawwell being the face of that for this time.

We can continue to bury the head, but in two years time we will still be here fighting against this board for their continued efforts at not investing in the only and one aspect of the club that matters most.

8. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    What else is there to go on other than what actually happened since 2014?

We’ve had the best period of domestic success we’ve ever had in the entire history of the club. The board deserve criticism for certain things but then they also deserve credit for our recent success.

You believing nothing has been done, despite us signing (from memory), at least 5 defenders in two seasons, and a leaked document proving we were doing forward planning for further transfers, begs belief.

Yes, we need defenders, but the key point is the word “known”. How often are our transfers in the public domain? Not very often.

Senna s1979 and StPauli1916 like this.
  9. Marie Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Them all!!!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Seriously?!?!?!o_O

Senna s1979 and StPauli1916 like this.
  10. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Aye the cash at bank is there and it is to cover any unexpected loss of revenue streams but it has risen year on year and Bankier has said it won’t be used on the squad it’s for the club as a whole.

We don’t budget for UCL as per Lawwell but no doubt you need it every few years.

People make a lot about our wage bill but even allowing for that we have increased the cash in the bank year on year. Plus rough guesstimates we have taken 20% off the wage bill since February.

I genuinely believe we are waiting to see what happens with Ntcham before we make any serious splurge.

The “debt and debt like items” is a * riot of a statement.

The board did well to get Rodgers in no doubt but in the same time they awarded Lawwell a 104% wage rise as CEO plus a LTIP bonus scheme.

Bankier called the fans racist and attacked us at the AGM a few years back his position should have been untenable then but he has been allowed to remain.

I fully expect a significant profit again as the board said in Feb/March the club has exceeded their financial targets for the 2018/19 year back then before a penny of prize money was given out and the £1m for Congerton was received.

I would expect the cash at bank balance to be circa £42m to £45m plus the overdraft facility of £6m which I am sure is still there (could be wrong) in the final accounts come end month unless we go on a serious splurge but it will be mid September before we find that out once the window has slammed shut!

LectersLuncheon, Peej and Murph-E like this.
  11. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Don’t know if it is a sack the board moment Marie but they are sailing close to the wind with many

jocksteinupper and Peej like this.
  12. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    If this summer continues as it has started, I can see a lot more folk finally giving up with them.

They've got to do a lot to pull this one around.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  13. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Sack the board. * treble trebles, wheres my quadruple European glory!

14. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Honda people are disillusioned nothing to do with treble trebles or euro glory.

So far since the final whistle blew on 25th May we have

Offered the guy the job in the showers.
    Had a transfer leak
    Agreed a deal and failed to sign a player
    Lustig has had a sly dig
    We have came back with zero players signed despite losing TEN!
    Got a recruitment guru in for the summer who is starting 3 weeks after the window opens and 1 week before our most important games in the first half of the season.

Think you need to allow people to vent their frustrations my friend

15. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    started to read the first post , stopped reading the first post … * me !!!

16. Murph-E

It was 5 years ago.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  17. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    See above reply scotia to Honda you can understand why people are * off.

We have seen this film before and the sequels too it mate it’s like titanic you know how it will end but hope it’s different!

18. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    :52: never noticed the dates , thought it was mental .. carry on .

Peej likes this.
  19. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Am going to be honest I * the bed more than most on here when it comes to Celtic but I can get everyone venting their issues so far as we have seen this play out before!

Peej likes this.
  20. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Av heard of * want a summer job but Celtic have outdone themselves this time with the Guru......