1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Link] Riley McGree

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by Officer Doofy, Mar 18, 2017.

Discuss Riley McGree in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    The male Stephanie Roche. Wouldn't have expected too much from him, was only on the basis Ange wanted him I gave a *. Enjoy league 1 in 2024

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

2. StevieBhoooy!

Hopefully his deal falls through and we tell him to ‘do one.’

3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic bailed out of a bidding war with Middlesbrough for Riley McGree after the English outfit slapped in a bid worth up to £5million for the Aussie.

Hoops boss Ange Postecoglou thought he’d landed the 23-year-old Charlotte FC star – who he called up when in charge of the Socceroos – after an initial £2m fee was accepted by Major League Soccer. The deal looked set to be rubber-stamped but McGree did a U-turn after Middlesbrough returned to the table.

Chris Wilder’s Championship outfit have been chasing the former Birmingham loan star for months and they upped their offer to secure the playmaker after offering £2.5m up front and double the amount in add-ons – and earn the player up to £20,000 per week.

McGree is understood to have done his medical on Teesside on Wednesday and the move is set to be sealed in the next 24 hours barring any more last minute twists.

Celts were keen on the kid but the skyrocketing fee blasted above their valuation and Postecoglou will now focus attention on other targets.

4. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    £20k a week ridiculous

5. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    No wonder he did a midnight flit

6. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    Charlotte must be licking their lips at this. Apparently they paid less than 500K for him.

Not a bad bit of business for a club who haven't even played an MLS game yet.

Hammy89 likes this.
  7. Mr Diggler

Move on to other targets. Maybe even a loan deal until the end of the season for someone. Possibly with an option to buy.

8. phreeky

Play your cards right and you could start a franchise club, turn a profit, never play a game, rinse and repeat!

9. Mr Cleansheets

You might have missed the news...

I didn't say McGree was technically brilliant. I disagreed with someone's (yours?) assertion that he wasn't much technically. He's a very good player and would've been great for Ange.

Very sad we've missed out on this. I'd reckon this is agent activity we're seeing rather than anything else. If the salary was substantially more at Boro then that's ker-ching for his agent.

Is there any real hope we're in for Wolf?

Mike B likes this.
  10. King Kwon Gold Member Gold Member

One of those ones where honestly if another team was offering him that much money I don't blame him for taking it or us for not matching it. That's life changing money.

11. The Celtbot

They had their first college draft yesterday and with their 1st pick picked a box to box attacking midfielder presumably replacing Riley. 20 year old kid out of Maryland who played like 11/12 games last season and scored 7 and got 5 assists.

12. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    :56:crazy.

13. SuperZidane

Absolutely - although I think he's a good player, I wouldn't want us to spend that much on either the fee or wages (even if we could afford it). I don't blame him for taking the money - that's life and we move on.

JamesM09 likes this.
  14. MAP

I did miss the news!

Bummer, would have made watching Celtic even more enjoyable!

15. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Funny how the headlines say McGree changed his mind and chose Middlesbrough, but you read the article and it says we pulled out after Middlesbrough offered £5m.

Dannybhoy81 and Bernie Bhoy like this.
  16. themouth1888

Is that you Peter??

* anymore loan deals it's just moves the problem further down the road. We started the window strong so let's see it through the same way.

17. Mr Diggler

Loan deals have their place. We are well stocked in midfield now but a loan with an option to buy wouldn't be the worst thing. Personally I am more concerned with getting Jota and CCV signed up permanently. That should be the priority.

Hammy89 and Dan Breen like this.
  18. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    I think we lack in midfield tbh. I would be much more calm and confident if McCarthy and Soro wasn't useless.

Dan Breen likes this.
  19. Mr Cleansheets

Please close thread.

Too depressing.

Move on.

Tommy25 likes this.
  20. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Defo not against loan deals, at all.

We have 2 perfectly good (potentially) examples on the book right now. If we get these two sorted as perm deals, then I am all for another loan deal of a 22 year old who perhaps hasn't managed to make it at a top end club, but needs game time and moved on - we can be that club. A loan deal sells us to players who may normally think they are at a different level to us, but come here and fall in love etc.

Agree to not wanting too many at one time though. having 4 the last few seasons was really poor, specially with little to no chance of signing them. But convert Jota and/or CCV to a perm this window, I have no issues bringing in another one on a similar set of circumstances.

Hammy89 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.