1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Rangers 1 - 2 Celtic

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic News' started by Mark, Apr 24, 2005.

By Mark on Apr 24, 2005 at 4:00 PM
  1. Mark

    May 10, 2004
    Likes Received:
    Stan Petrov and Craig Bellamy scored two sublime goals in the first half of today's Old Firm derby to hand Celtic a 2-1 victory at Ibrox.

    Stephen Thompson's goal in the last few minutes of the game gave Rangers a lifeline but the Scottish champions held out.

    Now the Hoops sit 5 points clear at the top of the SPL with just 4 games remaining.

    The match started in a hectic manner with Celtic looking to try and bag an early goal and looking the most dangerous of the two teams.

    And it wasn't too long before they did manage to get the opener, only 21 minutes into the game.

    Didier Agathe's cross into the box was met by an exceptionally accurate header from Stilian Petrov giving Rangers keeper Ronald Waterreus no chance.

    Petrov celebrated near the Rangers support and was struck by a missile but he was the one to be disciplined receiving a yellow card for his gesture towards the fans.

    It was 2-0 around 15 minutes later - Welshman Craig Bellamy netting this time.

    Alan Thompson did well in his own half to take the ball forward then played a wonderful pass onto Bellamy.

    The on-loan striker went past Krygiakos and curled an inch-perfect shot into Waterreus' left hand post.

    Bellamy also celebrated in front of the Rangers support although he might feel the booking Stuart Dougal delivered was unnecessary.

    Rangers tried to find a way back into the match before half time with Dado Prso having an effort saved by David Marshall as well as a Marvin Andrews header rocketing off the cross-bar.

    Into the second half and Celtic's excellent first half took a heavy blow when Craig Bellamy pulled up with a hamstring problem just minutes after the restart.

    Craig Beattie came on to replace him as more objects were thrown onto the field at the departing Wales international.

    The sub had his fair share of chances and was denied by Waterreus' leg at point blank range as well as blasting a glorious opportunity over the bar from around 25 yards out.

    Stevie Thompson was thrown on late in the game for Rangers and with only 2 minutes remaining, he blasted a low shot past Marshall after some lucky deflections allowed the ball to find the Scottish striker's feet.

    Rangers rushed forward trying to find an equaliser - even their Dutch keeper found his way into the Celtic box on numerous occasions.

    But Martin O'Neill's men held onto their lead and left Ibrox with all three points in the bag as well as a five point cushion to take into the remainder of the season.

    (C) TalkCeltic.net