1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Peter Lawwell

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by eddiebhoy0109, Jan 13, 2015.

Discuss Peter Lawwell in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Wicker Bhoy

These were cuts that had to be made though, we were in a serious amount of debt post MON.

Two seasons ago he had us in the last 16. Last season I think Lennon cocked up the transfer window which hindered us on the park massively. This year Lawwell cocked it up and he needs to make amends now and in the summer.

17 years ago we won our first league title in 10 years, then lost the next two, We have won nine since then, seven under Lawwell. And he's done this while keeping us afloat and now profitable when Scottish football is completely broke. our main rival has snuffed it, the two Edinburgh teams have been relegated yet we're still winning championships and competing in Europe.

2. og1

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady
    He will also * up the Gudetti and Commons negotiations. Neither will be in the hoops next season, next month for Commons when he accepts Bolton's transfer offer of 50p

3. Croogle

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    We've gone from getting to the Last 16 to not even being able to get into the group stages.

Any other team with a hint of ambition would have built on one of their most successful teams in recent times - instead we dismantled it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2015
  4. og1

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady
    He serves more lamb than David Murray ever did. Some of our fans have been taken in by this I'm afraid when the spotlight should be firmly pointed in his direction.

5. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    There was a time when i used to hate the stick he got and it was way before and nothing like the mass eruption after going out to maribor ..

Now i'm sick of him, yes on one hand he's been great at more than steadying our ship and running us well but the flip side to that is, we're tight as arses because of it and as fans the interest is the product and "every window we'll come out stronger" is just one of many joke statements of his, including the many pathetic hun jibes , "we stand alone" to "we're losing 10 mill a year" without them. Some contradictions from the man..

Business side is a thumbs up but the product has went from really good(the core) to regressing at a worrying rate..

6. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

And yet you direct your ire firmly at the manager...

7. Wicker Bhoy

That's because like it or not their is a firm glass ceiling with us right now. Wanyama, Hooper, Forster and Ledley were always going to move on when the PL came calling. VVD is the same. They get great experience with us at an early stage in their careers then move on better players.

He has gotten top dollar for our best players since McGeady and perhaps needs to loosen the purse strings slightly more to replace them, but I don't think he's as tight as being made out. £4m on Juarez, £3.8 on Fortune, £3m on Boerrigter, £3m on Pukki, £3.4 on Scep (the jury is still out on Scep granted) but that is a lot of wasted cash that is not down to him.

8. og1

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady
    If the shoe fits. If anyone is not getting the job done from a youth player to the chief executive i will have my say.

Please fix that quote you have of me by finishing the sentence or take it down, you are misquoting me

9. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    I'm sure ledley was wanting to stay?

Your fee figures seem well off, lenny rubbished the derk fee claims and said it was a mill and was scep not bought for around 2? Considering forster went for 10 i wouldn't call that splashing the cash. Luckily for everyone involved we won a watch with Gordon as a free..

10. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

I would, but the fact it * you off gives me a warm glow. :smiley-laughing002:

Anyway, the rest of your quote does not in anyway make the first part any less disgraceful.

11. JamesM09

People quickly forget that after the Last 16 season we spent £11m on Boerrigter, Pukki, VVD, Balde, Johansen, Griffiths and Biton. If these guys had all performed we wouldn't have a problem and it's absolutely not Lawwell's fault they didn't.

Edit: Not to mention the wages these guys are on, which is more important than the fees these days.

But naw, Lenny never got backed.

12. og1

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady
    People who are saying that Lennon got money to spend are misinformed or disingenuous. We took in more money from player sales so the money that was spent by Lennon was a result of player sales and not the regular turnover of the club.

The success he brought to us was on a negative transfer spend

13. og1

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady
    Dont be a * i have asked you twice to quote me properly or not at all.

14. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Money from the last 16 season and what do we do? Sell the spine of our team in the next window for 20 mill before and during our struggle to qualify for the groups again..

15. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

He's a slug.

16. Wicker Bhoy

Ledley said the exact same things with us as he was saying with Cardiff before he ran down his contract and left on a free.

My figures may well be off with Boerrigter, I know Lennon said he was less so the figure is probably somewhere in between. I thought Scep was defo £3m+.

As I said previously I think Lawwell cocked up the summer window but overall I don't think he has been as tight as being made out. Lennon and our scouting department threw away a lot of money last year and we are also stuck with their wages (which has effected the summer with these loans, try before you buy deals). But the on park product now does badly need a cash injection and he has to put the money up. If he fails to do it this window and the summer then my opinion of him will be changed.

17. JamesM09

We had to sell them, Wanyama and Hooper refused to stay. We should never have struggled to qualify for the group stage that season, the teams we played were mince.

We were poor that season because our signings didn't perform. To be fair Wanyama was irreplaceable. He's probably a £20m player by todays market, we'll struggle to get bargains like that.

Another thing: If we spend >£6m on a player we need to give them much higher wages.

18. Wicker Bhoy

Hooper and Wanyama were always off after that season mate, I don't think that falls at Lawwell's door. He made sure to get enough as he possibly could for them, even rejecting a better offer for Hooper so we had him for the Juve game.

19. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Mate, the time to spend and get a striker in was when we were given a European reprieve but what does he do? Sells our keeper for 10 mill and gambles on a keeper who had been out 3 year and goes in to the.must win game with stokes up top alone..

You just can't defend that..

20. Croogle

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Wanyama is only on £30k a week at Southampton - we could have easily offered that.

Considering he admitted that he wasn't 100% sure he wanted to sign for them, and in the end it was his brother that convinced him via Skype, there was always the chance he'd accept that wage from us.

It was also widely reported that Hooper was willing to stay, the same with Ledley.