1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Paulo Bernardo

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Luis1967, Sep 1, 2023.

Discuss Paulo Bernardo in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Exactly. So what you were saying about Bernardo being as good an investment on our budget doesn't make much sense then.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying we shouldn't consider buying him, just it's not a slam dunk and the price is questionable.

2. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Bernardo will go to a higher level that Jota mate, just because he's not instantly smashed it up doesn't mean his potential is less. He's gonna be * frightening with another couple seasons under his belt.

6 mil is a steal, mark my words. Anyone who refuses to see that should stick to Football Manager tbh.

3. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Go to a higher level than Jota :56:, I'll send you my address for that bit of spice brother :78:

4. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    The fundamental problem is we, as a fanbase, have succumbed to the narrative that 6m is an extortionate amount of money.

Relatively speaking, it’s not. We were spending that type of money 22 years ago on Sutton, Hartson, Lennon etc. In line with football inflation, our revenue streams have increased exponentially since the (CL money, player sales, sponsorship, ticket costs).

Why is nobody asking these questions? Get me at that AGM next year pls

Guchi Gucci likes this.
  5. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Keep it for when he proves you wrong mac, if you can hold it that long :BR1:

6. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Get in amongst it Keys, take them to task amigo..

7. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    To be fair I've never been able to hold out for long, ask any of the exes :BR1:

Double Dutch likes this.
  8. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    End of the day see if a guy like Rodgers if willing to fork out good dough for a boy he's worked with over a season, you can guarantee he's seen enough to think he can progress him to a good level. It's blatantly obvious to me Paolo has got the tools,the problem here is folk being too impatient and thinking they know better. It's bonkers.

9. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    I wouldn't trust Brendan to top up my oyster card ffs :giggle1:

Westlondonscot likes this.
  10. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Last time I played Football Manager it was on a ZX Spectrum :39:. So don't think I'm even qualified for that

Don't think he's close to Jota in all honesty. There's a good chance he won't start a game rest of the season, if McGregor and Hatate are fit. Definitely doesn't scream must buy at that price.

11. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Don't know if people are missing the point intentionally or not, but it's getting a bit ridiculous at this point.

Any chance of anyone addressing the point that he has everything required to become a top player with the right guidance over the next couple of years?

honda likes this.
  12. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    It's possible, but not really seeing it, did like his cameo on Sunday but as I said he could go rest of the season and not start a game.

13. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    As I said earlier, I'd still spend 6 in a heartbeat. Most young guys we're trying to coach into a player have one or two things going for them...technique, dribbling, passing or whatever...but almost none of them ever have that game intelligence that Bernardo has. That isn't something that is straightforward to drum in to a young player, normally taking years for it to develop properly.

Bernardo has it in spades. The things he needs to work on are easily taught, and when it clicks he'll already be far superior to anyone else his age as his natural game is already years ahead of where it should be. Genuinely think he'll be the next Calmac if he's here long enough.

Mo-Neill12 and NomDePlum like this.
  14. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Well if we end up buying him, hope that's all spot on.

I've been impressed with Kelly when he's got game time and would say he's looked like a player with game intelligence too and would say from the little I've seen of him he's more involved in play too. Although Bernardos determination on Sunday did show a side of his game he's been lacking.

Double Dutch likes this.
  15. Mo-Neill12

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson + Agathe
    Yeah it's a no brainer, U21 captain for Portugal and has looked comfortable all season. He comes across as a player who's down to earth, has a lot of humility and that'll help him go far. I hope we do see the trading model increase in summer and we bring in more players in the £6M+ category, it really isn't that much compared to even 4 years ago. Think missing out on McGinn will always come back as a hard lesson for the board.

bhroom, Double Dutch and honda like this.
  16. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Aye Kelly has shown flashes of it too, I like the boy. Could you picture him holding his own in the champions league at this point though? Think he's a good bit off that just now. Promising signs though definitely.

NomDePlum likes this.
  17. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    It's a yes from me but the fee should be negotiable.. 4mill with a sell on should suffice

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

bhroom likes this.
  18. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

You’re literally the only person in this thread coming across as someone who thinks they know better.

I think we can all see he has potential. Loads of players do. Problem with Bernardo is he’s played 25-30 matches and only really performed in about 6 of them.

If we sell MOR for £20m+ then aye, go out and buy Bernardo. As well as Lennon Miller and David Watson. Can’t miss out on those two because of Bernardo.

But he’s not even in the same realm as Jota. He tore the league apart. Bernardo struggles to get a start, in a weaker team.

19. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    You're another one missing the point if that's your take. If and when we sign him permanently it will be proof positive that Rodgers sees him as a talent worth developing. That's not me 'knowing better' that's me agreeing with the manager that he's worth the money. It's the ones writing him off due to him not instantly tearing it up that need to sit back and think about it imo.

20. Foley1888

The £6m was for only 70% so they are already looking for 30% of their next sale.

The only way they are negotiating price down is if they want to sell and have little to no other interest at their price point.

Dublin Celt likes this.