1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Paddy McCourt

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Heisenberg, Apr 30, 2011.

Discuss Paddy McCourt in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Slow Motion Footage of his goal.

2. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Just watching his Si Ferry interview....the story of how he got signed for Celtic - love the guy but that's a worry for how our board can operate at times.

3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

4. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    It’s the same at every single football club in the world.
    Don’t worry. It’s happened recently to some success and will happen again in the future.

Peej likes this.
  5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

FOR Celtic supporters he was, is and always will be the Derry Pele. Paddy McCourt was a player blessed with a phenomenal football talent, and over a five-year period in the Hoops, he conjured up some unforgettable moments of magic, ensuring his place as a fans’ favourite.

Now 34, McCourt has finally hung up his boots after helping Finn Harps secure promotion to the top flight of Irish football, scoring the only goal of the game in the first leg before helping them win 2-0 in the second leg for a successful end to his playing days.

During his career, he also won two league titles with Celtic, two Scottish Cups and the League Cup with Celtic, to go with the two league titles with Derry City, along with an FAI Cup medal and a League of Ireland Cup medal.

He’s now kicking off a new stage of his career, as the head of Derry City’s Youth Academy, and the Celtic View caught up with him as he settles into his new role.

You must have been delighted to help Finn Harps gain promotion back to the League of Ireland Premier Division?
    It was great for the people at Finn Harps. I had announced my retirement four or five months previous, so I knew that regardless of the outcomes of the game, I wouldn’t be sampling the Premier Division in Ireland again. It was more satisfying for me that it was the club moving forward, rather than myself. I was just glad that I could help them achieve what was our goal at the start of the season - to get promoted.

Your last visit to Celtic Park was for the Petrov v Milner Charity Fundraiser, How was it for you to be back playing in Paradise again?
    It was brilliant. It was an amazing two days. Spending time with the likes of Hristo Stoichkov and Henrik Larsson, and there were even people like Martin Compston. It was just a brilliant experience. It was also my first time meeting some of the Celtic players I looked up when I was younger so it was great to sit with them and chat about their time at the club. It was just a great experience for an amazing cause. You only have to look at the opposition team to see how much effort was put in, so I’m very grateful it all went well and happy to have been part of that.

Every club you’ve been at, the fans have quickly developed affection for you and your playing style. It’s been over five years since you’ve left Celtic, but do you still feel that love from the Hoops faithful?
    On Twitter, every time I post anything there are always a lot of nice comments from Celtic fans that I’m very grateful for. I did build a special rapport with the fans during my time at the club and I hope now that I’m retired and have more free time that I’ll be able to come back to Glasgow more often. I’m asked quite often to attend dinners and fundraising events but unfortunately I haven’t had the time. I’m due to play in the Star Sixes in January in Glasgow and have lined up a couple of events later in the month, so I do plan on spending more time back in the city and seeing the fans more often. I’m really looking forward to attending Celtic Park as a fan again.

6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

7. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    See Paddy the Daddy is at Walkabout in the town today for a Q&A, should have some stories, well the ones he can remember, lol.

8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

9. StevieBhoooy!

They’re interviewing him on ‘off the ball’ now...

10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

12. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    His goals were * ridiculous, loved watching him play.

Must be a Paddy thing.

13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Last edited: May 2, 2020
    Liam Scales likes this.
  14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Paddy McCourt: Lawyers for ex-Celtic FC footballer issue statement following * assault allegation
    The former Celtic FC and Northern Ireland footballer 'consistently maintained his innocence' when being questioned over an alleged incident in Derry City, his lawyer said

A former Celtic footballer “consistently maintained his innocence” when interviewed by police over a sexual assault allegation, his lawyer said today.

In a statement issued by legal firm Madden & Finucane, they said Paddy McCourt “absolutely denies the allegation” that was put to him by officers when he was interviewed in Derry’s Strand Road PSNI station.

They say the 38-year-old “presented himself” to police “immediately” after a member of his family was contacted by police on Sunday, January 30, “and informed them that a complaint had been made in the early hours of that morning concerning an incident alleged to have occurred at the open public bar area of an extremely busy nightspot in Derry City Centre shortly before 1am”.

The statement says McCourt was interviewed twice and “answered every single question put to him by police”.

It adds: “He maintained his innocence consistently throughout and commented fully on the limited evidence put to him. In particular, this included CCTV footage obtained from a camera positioned behind the bar area and facing patrons.”

The Madden & Finucane statement goes into further detail regarding what the CCTV footage shows, adding that it “depicts a busy niteclub”. It then outlines what, they say, the CCTV shows.

The statement says that at the end his interviews under caution a decision was taken to charge McCourt.

It adds: “The PSNI took this decision despite the fact that Mr McCourt had provided a full account and consistently maintained his innocence. Further, police had failed to speak to a potentially crucial witness who was stood with Mr McCourt and the forensic enquiry, which Mr McCourt had voluntarily cooperated and entirely agreed with had only been commenced.”

Ciarán Shiels the solicitor who represents Mr McCourt added: “We consider the decision to charge Patrick McCourt to be wholly premature and irregular, particularly in circumstances where the witness evidence thus far obtained by police, was significantly incomplete and the forensic enquiry could easily take six months, given the target date that the Forensic Science Agency will apply to the allegation made in this case.

19. gary88

Just read he got found guilty, not managed to read into it all top much yet but the whole thing seems a bit off to me like he's been used as scapegoat.

20. BigWilly The Wildcard Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Willy
    What actually happened with this, did he keep his job?