1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

One year on... how has it affected you ?

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by StevieBhoooy!, Mar 23, 2021.

Discuss One year on... how has it affected you ? in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. StevieBhoooy!

Well.... apart from a brief period of vague normality in the summer ... that’s us been in lockdown or major restrictions for a full year..

Just wondering how it has been for YOU?

A negative , a positive and something that will change in you / your life as we move on would be good to see...

For me:

Negative - no foreign travel :38: I try to work abroad as much as possible and travel in between jobs so being stuck in one place has been tricky.

Positive - I started my own business while stuck at home and is showing good signs of growth. I will keep it on as a sideline even if/when I go back to working for other people.

In addition to travel ... I’ve missed live music more than I can explain. I will not be missing any opportunities to see/do both as much as possible once able to do so.

Anybody else?

2. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

Negative- I put on 2 stone in 3 months
    Positive - I lost 3 the next 6 months.

To be honest mate, my glass is always half full but I struggle to find any positives personally over the last year other than I haven't lost any really close loved ones.

I've worked constantly I suppose, but I am almost burst! Took a cut in money but worked more than ever.

I miss getting a cuddle from my mam, my kids are going stir crazy with no social life, we * up the ten.

Totally agree live music is the thing I've missed loads too.

Good luck with the venture.

3. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    Negative, it has made me very emotional and I shed tears very easily now .
    Positive, it has made me more tolerant of other people and focus on positive things in life .

4. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky

Well done mate :50:

Johniebhoy. and StevieBhoooy! like this.
  5. Goggzy60

Negative a lot of bad stuff in personal life, including self isolation away from wife and daughter after catching COVID just before Xmas. Missed Xmas.

Positive Missed Xmas with my bi**h of a mother in law. Almost dying also gave me a new lease on life I do what I want when I want less than no f**ks giving.

6. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

Lock down has been weird for us.

Work wise, I haven't stopped. Worked all the way through the past 12 months which has kept things kind of normal.

Personally, our holiday to Florida was cancelled in September last year. We decided to use that money to sell out house and buy a detached property in a nice area. So that's been amazing.

Also my anxiety levels dropped so much due to the slower pace of life. Now we're coming out I'm feeling the anxiety levels climbing again due to busier shops, road traffic etc

7. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

Was off work 13 weeks. Seen 3 mates die, non Covid related but IMO it could have been avoided if not, seen mates businesses collapse but apart from that brand new.

Edit: Had a holiday cancelled as well. (Ps this isn’t tongue in cheek)

8. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Think families have been brought closer together in the last year which has reset a lot of people’s mindset. People have woken up to what’s important and actually taking time to inhale the world around them by getting back to basics.

On the negatives it has been a lonely time for people on their own, old people and people with mental health issues. The Government and Police don’t know what’s going on but have persistently taken the *.

Just read the title properly. It’s affected me also as the above.

9. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

It's actually had a positive impact on my job. I prefer my current working environment and I'm working more hours than I was pre-lockdown. Applied for postgrad primary teaching because of it and got in, so I can't wait to get started with that.

I've also got fitter during it all. Been out walking as much as I can and it's definitely something I'm going to keep doing when everything is back to "normal".

Biggest negative has been my coaching on the side. My team have missed out on a year of football and development, and it's been torture not being able to see them three times a week. Thankfully training is back now though and games are coming soon.

In terms of something that will change. Probably being able to go to the cinema and concerts again. I would only usually see 2/3 films a year in the cinema and maybe go to a couple of gigs. But I'm definitely going to go more often.

10. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

It’s given me an excellent opportunity to save money and focus on self improvement and getting my mental in the right place. I can honestly say I’m in a much better position now than I would have been had there been no pandemic. I’ve been fortunate enough to have not lost any loved ones to it and my deepest sympathies are with anyone who has.

seamus1967 likes this.
  11. muffitO'tea

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I've been furloughed through it and job is probably on a shoogly peg. Not been home since last February either. I have seen my dad twice when he was working near me but only for an hour or so outside.

I have enjoyed walking a lot more though and the dog has never been so fit :giggle1:
    Oh and i've been able to binge a lot of programs and films.

12. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Spent a shitload of time with the wee man I wouldn’t have got otherwise which is easily the biggest benefit to me. Pace of life slowed down completely as well which has been enjoyable to a point. Also built a pub in my back garden which has been a Godsend for a couple of months. Work has been steady and I enjoy WFH.

Negatives; live music and eating out are 2 of my favourite things - an entire year without a concert would have been unthinkable before this. So in context considering how much has been lost by so many I don’t have anything to complain about really.

13. Bob Loblaw Gold Member Gold Member

I think my mental health is worse off for it. I can't complain as I'm in the privileged position of working for a company that has been successful throughout lockdown and given the nature of my work (digital) I've seen my workload skyrocket. That's undeniably a positive and I'm grateful for that but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't taking it's toll on me, especially recently. Feel mentally drained. Need to get out and about more often as I'm not getting enough air or exercise. I'm easily irritable as anyone who reads HP&R can attest :giggle1:

Haven't seen my girlfriend in going on 5 months as she's living in Sweden. Lockdown kind of threw our plans off but happy to have made it over there for 6 weeks last year. Could have been far worse.

I'd say lockdown has also appealed to my entrepreneurial spirit. Working on a couple of digital projects of my own that I'm hoping will supplement my income eventually.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
    Garrymac1888 and paulie walnuts like this.
  14. Dalbeth3

Fav Celtic Player:
    to many greats to be able to pick one
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    It fuked me up in some ways, i was getting fit , cycling , walking and swimming, with the swimming pools closed it put me all to * . The pool was more safer than the fukin supermarkets .

Worked on a few jobs and got a few bob , was covid tested weekly on one of them ( swabbed ) and temp taken daily. The jobs i was on were safer than the supermarkets..

Miss the crack with my workmates on the job also in the pub.

We are all living in an open prison, for those who are working just now....work, eat,, sleep...rinse , work , eat , sleep,, rinse

15. paulie walnuts Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    I had to pretty much close my business for 3 months between March and June last year. I enjoyed spending more time with my kids (and wife I suppose) but spent too much time stressing about work and arguing with folk on this forum!
    I’ve never been busier since I went back to work so really wish I could go back in time and make the most of the time off, unlikely to happen again.
    I find it tough these days working with not much to look forward to at weekends.
    I can’t wait to having a bit more freedom back but compared to what others have gone through, I’ve been really lucky.

Garrymac1888 likes this.
  16. blackfish Screaming from beneath the waves...

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I’ll be honest and say it has had a profound effect on me and I genuinely believe the after effects will shorten my life.

Ive been shafted at work and at the earliest opportunity I will be back to my bolthole down south where there are no Sevconians and better pay.

on the positive side I have discovered some spectacular *, I was correct in thinking my partner is a pain in the *, I actually watched the masked singer and gogglebox and I hate pretty much everything.

So, all good at my end...............

StevieBhoooy! likes this.
  17. jj81

4 people have died I know , 2 close people , 1 of cancer , 2 of covid and an unrelated.

My pal with cancer I feel could have had better treatment but alot of appointments were cancelled etc plus I couldn't visit him for a year.

Just lucky my family are safe thats the way I look at it now as people have had it worse with losing loved ones.

18. TimFloyd Gold Member

I haven't experienced lockdown at all really so kind of hard to say, think I spent like 10 days in a locked down Scotland, which was bad enough.

I pretty much landed in sweden as it all kicked off last year, so yeah it's been gym and pints for me like usual.

Pubs shut at 8pm here now, I'll survive I guess.

19. FATLAZYBHOY Born in the steamie Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    CELTIC SONG (CLASSIC)
    Negative..... turned 60

Positive....... covid year doesn't count...
    So still 59. :36:

20. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Negative - gained nearly 2 stone
    Positive - lost 2 stone this Friday.... maybe.

Positive - got a raise that covers all my bills so felt like a teenager living at mummies...

Negative - not any better off because she keeps putting it all into over payments so no longer can I feel like a teenager.

Positive - getting really strong with my garage gym
    Negative - weights are a nightmare to get.

Positives - learned to make the best fajitas ever
    Negative - really pain n the * trying to loose weight when you can make the world's best fajitas.

Positive - you do save more having * all to do.

Negative - I bought a kamado and once delivered ill be spending alot more on slow cooked and smoked ribs. Bringing American holidays home! (This is a negative because I'm trying to loose weight)