1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Olivier Ntcham

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Norm Peterson, Jul 12, 2017.

Discuss Olivier Ntcham in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Foley1888

It was a game of two halves for me for Ntcham first half he struggle to get involved in the game and get a hold of the ball enough. Second half had some real classy turns which allowed him to carry the ball forward and a great assist.

The game actually summed up Ntcham for me when it was a bit of a battle and we were struggling he was ineffective when the team got going so did he.

2. Crilly

Was our best midfielder again I thought yesterday. Relatively quiet enough game from him and still offered a lot more than calmac I thought

Dan Breen likes this.
  3. Jeroen

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Nitcham is a frustrating player. He clearly has talent (has strength, is a good passer, rarely loses the ball and can score goals from all over the pitch) but all too often is inconsistent and at times looks like he doesn’t care (seems to have a very nonchalant and carefree attitude). Lennon clearly likes him, but I don’t know if his head is elsewhere. I rate him as a player, but, like I said, he is unpredictable and inconsistent which is very frustrating.

Dan Breen likes this.
  4. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Amazed his thread hasnt been bumped after the weekend.

I thought he was excellent again. Frimpong gave him a mention in his interview from the papers today.

So classy on the ball. I feel like this thing about him "not caring" is a complete myth tbh.

5. rickyroma25

Agree totally with everything you said there. Thought he was excellent on Saturday, dictated the game.

Mr Shelby likes this.
  6. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

It is a myth and one that always pops up with Ntcham, Edouard and Dembele back in the day. It’s laughable.

Valhalla and Mr Shelby like this.
  7. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

For me I want more frim him, should be absolutely dictating games with his talent.. Drifts in and out of games far too much.

8. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Thought he had a great game, always looking for the ball, very classy player when he's in the mood.

9. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I think hes been doing that lately.

But still doesnt seem to get much credit. For example he did it on Saturday yet his thread is empty.

10. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I thought he was OK on Saturday, did well for the 3rd goal , but he definitely didn't boss the game.

11. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

There's no way he dominated the game on Saturday.

Lovely feet to get by players and play it onto Christie to then set up Ajeti but he also rashly over-committed himself to the ball in the air for Livi's 2nd when he was never likely to win it. Turning his back on it and completely taking himself out the equation.

Brown's decline is a big part of how soft we are in the middle but he's not the sole reason. McGregor was the only 1 out of the central 3 that dominated from beginning to end for me.

12. CountyDownFaithful

This is my issue with him as well. He's clearly talented but as you say he drifts in and out of games. Flashes of quality isn't enough to warrant a starting spot every game, he needs to be getting more involved and affecting the game throughout.

Still unsure of what his best position is and who do we partner him with?

JC Anton likes this.
  13. Damnati

Might be harsh, but it's stuck in my mind that he completely sold himself for their second goal. It looked lazy. I know that's something that he's maybe tarred with in the same way that Samaras was, but it's just how it came across.

Also, I appreciate that he was by no means the only player who was guilty there. Think it was Brown and Forrest who were also completely caught out.

14. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    I wouldn't really say he drifts in and out of games or stuff, it's that he offers very little defensively. On the ball going forward he is good. He is a good dribbler, can beat people and hold people off and keep possession in tight areas and under pressure. Good passer and crosser of the ball from out wide, only thing he lacks going forward is he doesn't make runs forward off the ball much or get into the box a lot and his shooting isn't the best - I think Christie, McGregor, Rogic and likely Turnbull with the amount of goals he's scored all strike a better ball and are bigger goal threats at getting into the box.

Defensively he has poor awareness, less than McGregor and Christie at spotting danger and he isn't like Chistie or McGregor who will close people down quick and try and block things and win the ball either, his style is more to just drop back into a position.

So he's always going to kind of be lackadisical defensively and strong on the ball and decent going forward. I feel he will always be a bit out of place for us since he lacks the defensive qualities of Christie and McGregor and the attacking qualities of Christie, McGregor, Rogic and possibly Turnbull, kind of stuck between lacking something for both roles and we don't play a style of football that suits him.

He will probably flourish in a good European team who play more open football against more open teams where games aren't so much attack V defence and being worried about counter attacks.

To me it's a bit like Pogba at Man Utd, not good enough defensively to be a holding player and not good enough going forward to be the attacking player and not the ideal partner for the defensive player either so you're not going to get the best out of him. Hs good enough individual qualities that he'll always be fine though even though he doesn't really fit into the team.

15. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

That’s not on him, that’s on tactics.

If he was told to dictate the game he would, but he won’t have been.

16. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Nonsense, a player of his class and ability should be able to dictate a game in Scotland..

Do you think Lenny says, get involved but not too much? :56:

17. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

They are set up a certain way and they train a certain way. I know they don’t set up or train to play through Ntcham, so why would he just take the initiative to change the way they’ve been asked to play? Nobody is saying he isn’t capable of it, he just hasn’t been told to.

18. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Don't agree, he's central midfielder who's absolute quality, he should be much more involved in games that he sometimes is.. He's not hampered by coaching or systems the onus is on him to be more dominant..

Too much emphasis on systems etc given in analysis, a good player will always find a way to be involved..

At least he's on the pitch lately, which is a must for me at the moment.

19. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I thought he was very good. And the week before too.

He did over commit but the other 2 disnt cover themselves in glory either for that.

Still think its surprising noone mentioned how he played tbh.

Crilly likes this.
  20. Foley1888

Ntcham’s biggest issue is he tends to struggle to motivate himself week in, week out, he even admitted that at the start of Rodgers last season around when Dembele left that he loved the big games and the crowd but sometimes struggle with others. At a club like ours we can’t afford to have that attitude.

It’s no coincidence the majority of his best performances have tended to be against Them or in Europe.

He has the ability and attributes to be a top midfielder but something just doesn’t seem to click often enough. Although I did think he had a good game on Saturday slightly contradicting what I said above.