1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Olivier Ntcham

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Norm Peterson, Jul 12, 2017.

Discuss Olivier Ntcham in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    He took the huff the previous season hence that sending off. Lenny did well with him

Marty McFly likes this.
  2. Foley1888

On his day he is arguably one of the two best centre midfielders in the country for me, CalMac being the other candidate for that. He has the lot his passing and vision are excellent, he can get forward and score goals, he can hold the ball and move out of danger and he can read the game very well.

Where CalMac is way ahead of Ntcham for me is the consistency of his performances. You know with Calmac your going to get at least a 7 out of 10, normally better where as too often for me Ntcham throws in a right stinker where he looks disinterested and just does the bare minimum but doesn't track back or burst forward and the game just passes him by.

At his best he is one of the best players at our club and can make big games look effortless but personally I would like to see it a bit more frequently. The most frustrating thing for me is he has it in him to really take control of a game and boss the midfield but doesn't do it all that often and seems to play within himself.

Completely different players but Joe Ledley used to do the same for me at times. He was a midfielder who could do the lot and when he was at his best could read the game and cover across, defend, pass, create assists and score goals but often seemed happy playing within himself. All be it Joe was more a CalMac in terms of consistency and wasn't as prone as Ntcham to having a nightmare like at St Mirren.

I am maybe looking for too much but I just feel Ntcham has the quality to achieve more. When reflecting he has not really had a full season with Celtic where he was a first name on the team sheet which I think he has the capability of doing.

3. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Ntcham when he wants is the best technical player on our team without a doubt. The fact he gets by without playing at full capacity, I think he knows he’s too good for the league so just turns it on when he feels like it. Think he has as high a ceiling of what Eddy and dembele can reach It’s just whether he wants to haha. Frustrating, but I think if we sold him for under 10 mil to the prem it would then be such a regret cos he’d probably then have the motivation to put in those consistent performances being in a bigger league. Think we should take a good offer this summer if we get it, only because of the consistency. We would miss his quality

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  4. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Yup got to agree, on his day he is an absolute beast of a player that can do it all. I wouldn’t be selling him yet tbh as he could be a massive player in the push for the 10, he always pops up with important goals aswell.

Tommy25 and The_Bhoy like this.
  5. Foley1888

Likewise, ideally we would keep a hold of him but I do think if a good offer came in we would consider it given, it seems unlikely he would sign a new deal and it sounds like he is near our self imposed wage ceiling, therefore after this year he will only have a year left and his value will drop. The same will go for Ajer and Eddy I fear, if they won't commit to new deals and a good offer comes in then they will be sold.

I just hope for once the club are planning accordingly looking at various scenarios where for example where FF doesn't sign so we need a new GK, or Ajer goes so we need to replace him, Ntcham goes which might be the only one there is not as much urgency to replace given options available or really hoping otherwise but Eddy goes then we will have a massive job replacing him. In addition, there is all the combinations of the above, realistically we could not get FF, lose Ajer and Ntcham so need to be considering who a shortlist of targets are and sounding them out at present.

It feels like we say it every year but this is a massive transfer window for us given all the variable factors which we need to try and manage, we don't want it ending up like the summer window 18/19 where we lose our star striker, are forced to let a CB run his contract down and refuse offers on the table because no replacement is lined up and we miss out on our top transfer targets.

Lilac Wine, The_Bhoy and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

8. belfastcelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson - currently tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    scotty sinclair
    If Southampton really are interested in Ntcham and both Foster and Elyounoussi wanted to join and Southampton were willing to do a deal.

Would Ntcham and 5m sound a fair swap for both?

9. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Maybe but I can’t see us doing this kind of deal. Think it’ll be money alone for ntcham; if he even wants to go to Southampton. Then the other 2 will be done separately. I think we might be loaning both with big loan fees and paying our max squad wage for both players and Southampton covering the rest of their wage. although I still doubt moi will be back at all

10. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Clearly Lennon has had a very positive effect on Ntcham both discipline and consistency of performance wise as since the start of last season he has looked back to his best for the most part.

11. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Just feel there's a lot more in him, would love to see him take games by the scruff of the neck and totally run the game, I do reckon he does have it in his locker.

JC Anton likes this.
  12. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    He definitely does, I think he’s that good he doesn’t ever get outta 60% effort in the league haha. If we sold him to a team in a bigger league I think he’d be worth loads after 1 season there as he’d feel he needed to up it to 100%.

Dan Breen likes this.
  13. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Maybe he feels, when playing beside Brown, that Brown is the main man, the guy that runs the game and that maybe holds him back???

14. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    They both play different roles though, I’m sure broonys said it himself before. He wins the ball back and passes to someone better. Haha so ntcham picks up areas, does a body roll or touch and picks out an attacking player. I think they both work well together. When cal plays alongside/just in front of brown we have a more offensive closing down midfield that share the defensive burden. With ntcham I think brown has to work harder in that aspect

Dan Breen likes this.
  15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

16. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Tights in July fs :56:

It's 19 degrees outside

Rydo1888* and Dan Breen like this.
  17. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Still bemused by this love of his 'capability'. Loads of players are capable of being in the Zone when the mood takes them.

18. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    But none are as technically gifted as ntcham is within our own squad

19. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

Some players you love, some you just can't take to and for some reason I've never taken to the boy.

However, he gives us something none of the other midfielders do when it all comes together for him, and for that reason I feel we need him here...I have a feeling he will have a big season.

Rydo1888*, The_Bhoy and Dan Breen like this.
  20. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    It’s high pressure every game this year, and that’s when he usually thrives so I hope so too. However I would imagine he’d be away this summer. Him or/and Ajer will both be the sales to subsidise the losses this season. I pray eddy isn’t one too