1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Am I supposed to feel sorry for you ? Don’t start giving it out and act offended when you get it back why don’t you just stay on topic instead of scanning peoples post and deliberately go on the hunt for a slanging match

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paulo123 likes this.
  2. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    He wouldn't have lasted till this current season (4-5 seasons in). The treble treble (and potential quadruple) was unique and it is very very hard to assume we would have done that under any other circumstances, things have went well for us in some respects there. Could Lennon have achieved it, sure - as could have Deila given the right circumstances.

Would we have lost a league title? I doubt it, we stumble every so often, but we generally do not have complete meltdowns and disasters - the huns imploding every January is something I don't think we are capable of in the same scale.

Would Europe have been any different? Maybe, given the chance of Lennon managing a team instead of Rodgers, I think some of the drubbings may have been less embarrassing.

But inevitably, Lennon is a yes man. He may very well hate to admit it (maybe never will). But he is a yes man to this board. He is a great motivator and has great passion. He clearly is able to manage a football team better than me and you. But he has massive flaws that come both from him personally and professionally. His passion and desire forces him to stick to what he thinks works and takes very very little risk. To the stage that when he is shown a problem, such as Edouard not being fit, he often can't see beyond the same players and shoehorns Christie in to a ST position. McGregor in to LB etc. He is very risk adverse, but ends up taking the biggest ones through sheer naivety and worry to * it up.

He's also far too loyal, a great trait in other aspects (both at football and outside football for us mere mortals), but it is extremely flawed when he is persisting with the same players who clearly are off form.
    Again it brings its own issues, that players feel wrongly undroppable and others are never trusted enough given they have not been given game time leading up to some drastic issues - or simply "not match ready".

Overall, I imagine we would still be going for 10 in a row this year and think we may likely have not won every cup the past 4 years. But that does not change where we are now or where we would be if he was given the job after Deila. I still think we would be in the same position inevitablly - perhaps the only big difference is that the "coming to a head" moment that seems to be awaiting us, may have happened last year or earlier. Could we have seen a different man taking us to ten?

Overall though, for me Lennon is not the long term answer and as much as midweek he should have been shown the door, I do believe he will be afforded the season and will be a parting of the ways at that stage. Probably rightly so, but we put on hold till then any further development of the club.

Last summers transfer nonsense was an eye opener of how bad of a yes man he really is now, he fed the fans line after line, week after week, about "two signings this week" "a few new faces by the weekend" think it (felt like it) was 6 weeks of constant nonsense and never a player was signed during that time, all through the qualifiers getting the fans hopeful that a new CB may have been coming in etc....we are still waiting. It is clear he has very very little control in signings, that's been the case on the whole under the current board and has been talked to death enough as well (I actually understand the process and do not fault it in theory, but we lack the manager to be able to do it more successfully in terms of him having more control and actually wanting the players coming in). Rodgers got afforded more control over it, look at the Congerton disaster, but inevitably that bit us in the * and we have went back to what worked under Lennon the first time and somewhat under Deila.

A flaw in the board this one though, as clearly we are wasting money on guys like Klimala (feel for him), Soro, Eboue, Bayo, Connell, O'Conner, I'll even add Turnbull in to the mix now (judging how our transfers tend to pan out and the fact Lennon is very unlikely to change from Brown, McGregor, Christie in that middle). Need to allow the manager more involvement in this process, because inevitably it is a * waste if he isn't going to take to them and give them a chance.

Boruc17 and Lewis Kerr like this.
  3. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

I'm not offended at all because I'm not a snivelling little weasel like you.

You want to carry this on then PM me. I'm sure we can sort something out.

4. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Reply to my dm shitebag

W33kev likes this.
  5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Imagine asking someone on the internet for a square go.

Slaw, thomohoq and MickeyyMack like this.
  6. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Oooooooh

instert: eatingpopcorn.gif

littlekennie likes this.
  7. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Mon tae * lads eh!

Artorias likes this.
  8. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Lol it’s him that asked me

9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Draw a line under it.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  10. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    School yard stuff

Slaw likes this.
  11. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

So I've to reply to your DM and I'm a shitebag but you then go on to say that I called you out first?

You really are thick as *.

Slaw, Mystic Penguin and StPauli1916 like this.
  12. Foley1888

Not a chance we would have had an invincible season and won three trebles on the bounce.

Rodgers left in a snakey manner and also would make you sick with his always been a fan patter but he undoubtably got the best out of a number of players that were already here and seriously raised the bar in terms of standards and what was expected. Guys like Armstrong, CalMac, Dembele, Forrest, Ajer, Rogic, Lustig and Brown(who looked done before that) all seriously kicked on. Even Griffiths all round game looked better in early days of Rodgers even though he came of the high scoring season before.

We played with an intensity that I have seldom seen us play with domestically. We used to press teams from the front and were ruthless in front of goal. Teams genuinely feared playing us again. That season we had Dembele (30+ goals) Sinclair (high 20s), then Rogic, Armstrong, Forrest, Griffiths, Roberts and CalMac all between 10-19 goals.

I know we made hard work of away legs but we went after those teams at home, never gave them a chance to settle. His mistake was trying to do that against Barca, Bayern and PSG. We still went toe to toe with City and Gladbach (All be it the home game was a poor performance).

The club had been toiling under Ronny and needed that kick up the backside to kick on, it feels a bit like that again now being honest, despite being successful we look stale.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
    Tgriff67 likes this.
  13. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Apologies everyone for dragging this thread off topic. No more from me.

littlekennie likes this.
  14. Breathnach67

Fav Celtic Song:
    The White and The Green
    Rodgers definitely enhanced most of the playing squad. Premier league standard Sports Science was introduced. Under Lenny players don’t look as sharp or fit as say the 2016-17/17-18 seasons. The fact that Brown was near done before Rodgers came in was largely down to the awful habits he will have been allowed to get away with under Lennon the first time, the “lads culture” with figures like Commons and Mulgrew that was akin to something from eighties football rather than the 2010s.

15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Aye what’s that like

16. freitassen

Could you guys stream the fight for us? We want to know how it ended

littlekennie likes this.
  17. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    If i were PL i would be sittin down with Lenny and those responsible for the recruitment and be asking what is going on ?

buchanbhoy likes this.
  18. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    First day I've mellowed since Wednesday..

Time to get back behind the man as nothing is gonna change there anyway and see if we can start to improve..

No happy and lot's to do. Still doesn't know his best team. Still doesn't know his best formation. Still can't get the balance right..

Mon Lenny, fix it..

W33kev, Rydo1888*, Gioventu and 6 others like this.
  19. romeo9535

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson, Alan Thompson, John Hartson, Aiden McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    4 Leaf Clover, Willy Malley
    Apology accepted. Hopefully a lesson to you to let others voice an opinion without firing personal insult.

W33kev and littlekennie like this.
  20. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Aye. I wasn't talking to you though.