1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

It wasn’t buying into a narrative, well I know personally for me it wasn’t.

It was making a judgement based on the evidence provided.

2. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    He said it was easy to say he was the right man for the job with hindsight, at the time, one time after the Hun game withstanding as has been pointed out tbf, I was 100% for him being the right man.

But you’re probably right because that was based on how perfect he was for us the first time. So maybe not as easy to judge with hindsight as is being made out?

3. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Aye and the knows the city was used as a putdown towards him as well.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  4. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Tbf that was more of a putdown towards Lawwell, not to mention some good patter at times :giggle1:

Keano88 and neilly1987 like this.
  5. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just ended up as a way to put down the club in general, the attitude of our fans after the Treble Treble will always * baffle me man.

Mickmac likes this.
  6. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

I can understand the reservations people had about Lennon full time. The whole end of season had a weird feel because of the rats actions, and it felt like Lenny was just stepping in to steady the ship - people were wanting/expecting another appointment on the level of BR (new face, new tactics, a big name).

Lawwell really didn't help himself when he said about throwing other managers CVs in the bin and giving Lennon the job half hour after the cup final in the showers. It came across as lazy and unimaginative. I think that was more of an issue in itself than Lennon's credentials.

As @Seán Mac D said, at least they gave NL the backing in the summer and didn't leave him out to dry in that regards - he earned the job and was then given the resources to build a good side as we're now all seeing - hopefully that has silenced his detractors and doubters.

7. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Possibly mate, I didn’t get that either because we spent all of BR’s tenure saying it was a perfect state of circumstances to get BR and we were lucky. * started talking bout Benitez and that who was being linked to £13m a year moves.

It’s just something I didn’t get at all mate, it was bonkers towards me and still is.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  8. Colin Robinson Gold Member Gold Member

I didn't want him at the end of last season because the football was dire then and dire in the last season of his previous stint.

To his credit he has turned things around. He still makes mistakes (his lineup and tactics vs Cluj still baffle me) but every manager does. We're playing attractive football and getting results. I have no issues in admitting that I was wrong, although I think my views were fair at the time.

Keano88 and neilly1987 like this.
  9. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Good post, I think a good bit of the ire was down to the stewardship of the club.

As you say, boasting about not even looking at CVs was a completely bizarre admission from a very well-paid CEO. Then there was the timing and manner of the job offer, the wait to hear if he was accepting it, the leaked transfer list, the murmurs from Lustig about how poorly he was dealt with, the lack of urgency to bring in a DOF ahead of our biggest summer in decades then bringing one in on trial

Lennon was somewhat caught in the cross-fire of all that and while the board did eventually back him the funds to strengthen the squad, a lot of them should have been in a lot sooner than they did. We dicked around with long, protracted transfer sagas with RBs from England, instead of moving through our list quicker and getting the guys in for our training camp.

The club seems to be in a better way now but it was a turbulent time and hopefully lessons have been learned for going forward.

neilly1987, JML67 and Liam Scales like this.
  10. DJ CJ

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wanyama
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    He’s doing a fantastic job now but all that matters for most of us is what side of the city has the league trophy come may. No matter how many cups we win or how well we do in Europa(unless we win it), he will be seen as a failure if the league trophy ends up in Govan. I’ll reserve judgment on whether or not he was a good appointment until we know for certain which way the league is going but there’s no doubt he’s got us on the right track.

Whoflungdung likes this.
  11. BelfastBhoy74

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields
    A chat board full of differing opinions and perspectives.....No *
    I watch the game with my Boy, we walk up the road argueing about who performed well and who had a mare.....same game, seats side by side and vastley differing opinions.
    I kinda like the banter, i think calling people out to justify an opinion is half the fun (maybe digging out loads of old posts is a little OTT) sometimes I read the chat and actually take on board anothers opinion.
    You luv Lennon, you hate Lennon, no one is arguing that it aint been a bad couple of weeks.....Celtic supports with high standards, strong opinions and secretly we all think we could probably help do it a little better...

12. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    December is a big month, first domestic trophy up for grabs and a packed fixture list, Lenny has done brilliant so far, but it only takes a couple of bad results for the * to hit the fan, this applies to any Celtic manager.

I like the speed of our game and the directness, the players are giving everything for Lenny, we cannot ask for any more.

13. leeso-ardoyne

If that league trophy ends up in govan there'll be a lynch mob looking him and PL. Doesn't even bare thinking about losing it this year or next. Season books renewal will crash like never before if they lose that league this year.

Whoflungdung likes this.
  14. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

You're right, and it was mutually beneficial for us and the snake to get him in as an EPL club wouldn't touch him. The Benitez link was maybe a bit pie in the sky in hindsight but we have to remain ambitious. For me, that ambition wasn't indicated by his appointment but whether or not they (the board) backed him in the summer.

Hopefully they continue to do so going forward as in Lenny we have a guy who represents us as fans in the hotseat (something the rat claimed to be but never really was).

Keano88, neilly1987, Gabriel and 2 others like this.
  15. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    I personally think that Lawwell regretted not backing Lenny in his first tenure. He took over a shambles and turned things around generating huge profits while basically learning his trade.

Then he got to see Lenny mark II uninspiring football when he had to adopt snakes team and tactics but he got us over the line. However the standout for me was after the selfish behavior of his predecessor he dropped Benkovic for the good of the club a move that could not only have cost him the job but also have tarnished his reputation at the club had he failed to deliver a treble.

Lawwell knew what he was getting and while it was unprofessional to announce that he offered him the job in the showers it didn't really do any harm. I suspect he done this to show his enthusiasm for Lenny and to let the fans know he was 100% behind him. I'm pretty hopeful this time around that while he might not be given an open cheque book he will be given a wee bit more backing. The emphasis being on wee.

16. Lewis Kerr

I didn't want him back and didn't think he was good enough. The Cluj result reinforced that opinion massively but credit where its due we have performed great most of the time since then.

Even with my doubts I always knew Lenny could spot a defensive player and give us more confidence when competing in Europe. With the snake we dominated the ball at times but looked either toothless or poor any time a team got at our defence. We'd lost games before stepping out on the pitch but not with Lenny

He's a legend and fits us perfectly so I just hope we can maintain the form and go on a decent run in the EL (obviously win the league too)

17. M.E.T.H.O.D MAN Straight from the slums of Shaolin

He’s still ginger at the end of the day so all these opinions don’t matter.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  18. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    So you self-righteously spouted off about Neil Lennon being a poor manager and that he shouldnt be at Celtic, now someone is digging you about it you want them banned. Embarrassing, you're a special one arent you.

19. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Give it a rest man :giggle1:

20. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Some said they didn't want him and thought we should be getting big names in. The problem is big names will only come for big money or if they * up royally at their last club and need redemption.

Mickmac and moravcik1888 like this.