1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

MMA Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by HectorTheTaxman, Aug 23, 2012.

Discuss MMA Thread in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    Supposedly being the operative word!Who are the loads of fighters who say he ducked Weidman?

Also, he is quite right to not fight Jones.He is not a natural Light heavyweight.He comes in at 185 and is never ripped.He could probably do 170 if pushed, whereas Jones is bursting to get out of his frame at 205 and is clearly a bigger stronger man.....not to mention a * of a lot younger!

He is already a legend, but now his detractors are trying to pick holes in his reputation with rumour and hearsay.......and are attempting to justify it.I think it is poor form.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2012
  2. HectorTheTaxman Formerly The Spider

Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    UFC 152 in 4 and a half hours :50:

3. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    Workmanlike performance from Bisping.Totally predictable fight, but not bad anyway!

Cant really see him having the tools to deal with Silva!

4. smithy18

Is it repeated on espn tomorrow

5. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

mma-core has all the fights up.

Impressive by Jones in the 1st, he sucked it up and fought through a brutal arm bar.

6. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    Couldnt keep my eyes open at 4.30 am yesterday, so i quit watching and watched replay tonight n espn.

Good performance from Jones, but i found myself wanting him to lose after the first round.
    He truly does look invincible though!

7. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I've found myself now disliking him and I can see where Rashad was coming from in his criticism of him.

However, you are right, he now appears to have zero holes in his game. He is even fighting out of tight arm bars that would snap most fighters arms.

8. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    Aye, especially when it so clear now how badly injured his arm was....and he still dominated him with his low kicks, jabs and elbows!

PS. what was also noticeable after the fight, was how he made reference to his "problems" with southpaws!!!! So he now plans to work on these "problems"!Really scary he still sees flaws in his own game!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2012
  9. bhoy21

props to Belfort who done better than any of Jones past conquests. really thought jones arm was going to break in that bar!!

do any of you watch the ultimate fighter? there are currently two shows running

10. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    I watched the first 3 series religiously, and have watched the odd show periodically since.....but fights apart, i find it too staged.

11. bhoy21

i know what you mean but i dont mind it. Big counrty is one of the coaches on it this year.
    bad choice as hes * lazy and the first fight pick was horrendous. id be worried if i was on his team

theres another one running called the smashes, its basically britain vs australia. could be interesting as theres a lot of animosity between the fighters due to "national pride" the british fighters are typical british fighters. great standup & ok grappling but next to no jiu jitsu or wrestling. I think the aussies are pretty much the same

Theres a scottish guy on it, he was mouthing off after the first fight. shouting abuse at the other team saying he would take any one of them. it was a face palm moment if ever ive seen one!!

12. Fiferbhoy1991

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    rookie mistake by belfort in the first. he has admitted he eased up on the armbar because he heard it pop. cost him the title

13. Heb Celt

14. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
  15. Heb Celt

That was the worst split decision ive ever seen,Andy Ogle dominated 2 rounds,last round had him in a crucifix for 4 minutes,feel sorry for him because it was his UFC debut.

16. Heb Celt

Hoping Stephan Bonnar can Kick Silvas * in UFC 153.

17. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    Stranger things have happened......but i wouldnt hold my breath, although you will get good odds on it!

Fuel TV 5 was not bad.Just got around to watching it.Struve looks good, but still vulnerable.I cant honestly see him troubling the top guys, even if White says he is top 5.
    Obviously he is so tall he is awkward, but i honestly dont think he would last 1 round with JDS or Velasquez.

18. HectorTheTaxman Formerly The Spider

Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Struve was impressive against Miocic but I agree, against the top level guys I think he would come undone. He lasted 54 seconds v JDS in 2009, obviously he has developed since then but so has JDS

That KO from Brad Pickett on Saturday was very nice, some uppercut

19. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He was the clear winner. Pile of *.

If Bonnar beats Silva I will run round George Square in nothing but a Sevco strip :bbpd:

20. bhoy21

agree with this. For a guy his size and reach he doesn't use it to his advantage....yet. he is still pretty open and got rocked a few times on saturday.
    he has called out Werdum for his next fight. could be interesting as if he was to beat Fabricio it would put him up there as IMO werdum is top 5.

A more interesting fight for me would be against big nog provided he beats herman next week