1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Mikey Johnston

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Keano88, May 6, 2017.

Discuss Mikey Johnston in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    * it. Start him on the right and tell him to just run at Considine all game

2. _DannyBhoy_ Gold Member Gold Member

Wasn't at the game but from what I seen from the highlights he looks very promising. The type that will excite the fans. Looks fast and good on the ball. That was a good run and assist by him for the Roberts goal.

3. _DannyBhoy_ Gold Member Gold Member

From what people have seen who is more promising Johnston or Calvin Miller? I have to admit I hadn't heard a lot about Johnston. Calvin Miller is the one I have heard about the most. Don't know what I think about converting Miller to left back.

4. CheGuevara

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I hope his new three year deal gives him a confidence boost

5. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Johnston.

Calvin Miller is decent but I really doubt he'll make it here. He can whip a good cross in but he doesn't have the same skill on the ball as Mikey. Miller has went back to playing out wide by the way. The full back thing might have been just to try to develop his defensive ability for a few games.

Obviously it's early days for Johnston but he genuinely looks like he has a future here.

_DannyBhoy_ likes this.
  6. _DannyBhoy_ Gold Member Gold Member

Have to admit that I really think from the little glimpses I have seen of Johnston that he looks the part. Didn't look out of place at all in the team yesterday. The type of player that will excite the fans, like Roberts.

Really hope we get Roberts back but Johnston showed yesterday that he can make the step up and he could potentially step in when Roberts goes. Not sure if Johnston possesses the killer pass and finishing that Roberts has yet but he is very young and that will improve the more he gets the chance with the first team. Exciting times for the club.

Officer Doofy likes this.
  7. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Johnston by a mile.

Miller seems to have all this hype because of some random internet blogger said he was the best player in the world at his age.

Miller can bully younger players physically but against Partick he looked like a lost boy.

He's electric but I've never really got the hype.

8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

SCOTLAND face an international tug of war with Republic of Ireland over Celtic starlet Michael Johnston.

The 18-year-old winger is viewed as one of the brightest talents to emerge through the Hoops’ academy set-up in years.

He was handed his first-team debut by boss Brendan Rodgers in Saturday’s 4-1 win over St Johnstone and sparkled alongside fellow rookie Anthony Ralston.

Johnston walked off the pitch to put pen to paper on a new, improved contract with his boyhood heroes that runs until 2020 in the wake of rival interest from the likes of Chelsea.

His progress has not gone unnoticed, with Irish football chiefs desperate to see him follow in the footsteps of Scottish-born stars Aiden McGeady and James McCarthy by pledging his international future to them.

SunSport understands representatives of the FAI have already made contact with Celtic, Johnston and his family and made clear their desire to have him on board.

Johnston was only called into the Scotland Under-19 squad as a late replacement, along with Falkirk’s Kevin O’Hara, for injured trio Fraser Hornby, Greg Morrison and Regan Hendry for the Euros elite round qualifying stage back in March.

Ricky Sbragia’s side endured three consecutive defeats against Austria, Czech Republic and Hungary but Johnston scored the only goal of the trip for the tartan teens and was the stand-out player on show.

The SFA, like Johnston, were aware of the Irish interest at the time and hope his decision to travel with them was significant.

Their policy with players in this situation is to state the case for remaining with Scotland but not put pressure on youngsters faced with difficult decisions that at this stage are not binding.

9. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Rather he went to Republic than Scotland.
    Better opportunities for development in that team than Scotland's.
    Better chance of qualifying for big tournaments, too.

10. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Hopefully sticks with Scotland, same as Dembele (although I doubt it).

Not hugely fussed about international football but our team will never get better if our best youngsters jump ship.

Keano88 and barrybhoy85 like this.
  11. Diegan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Ricky Sbragia? Deary me. To be honest, I think that losing these sorts of technical players is what needs to happen for Scotland to realize that its youth and development system is decades behind where it should be. ROI, England, and Wales have all made steps toward refining their game, but Scotland remains quite stuck in the past.

You see the traces of the old Scottish style of trickery and quick decisions in the youngest age groups, but this gets crushed out of them by the time they're 20 and older. We seem to be at the vanguard of keeping this style even at the senior level, but the national association has to get with it as well.

12. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
  13. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Give him the no7 jersey.. :smoke:

14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

MIKEY JOHNSTON is a major doubt for the Toulon Tournament.

SunSport understands the Celtic kid, at the centre of a tug of war between Scotland and the Republic Of Ireland , was set to be named in Scot Gemmill’s squad for the France trip at the end of the season.

Johnston, 18, is set to miss Celtic’s final two Premiership games after picking up an injury, which could also rule him out of Toulon games against Brazil, Czech Republic and Indonesia.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

16. The Celtic Way

whats he done ?

17. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    That's a *.

18. Idioteque I’ll laugh until my head comes off

Unlucky, hopefully nothing too serious