1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Mikey Johnston

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Keano88, May 6, 2017.

Discuss Mikey Johnston in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic's number one Joe Hart has praised Hoops winger Mikey Johnston, calling him "very special".

The 23-year-old is currently on loan at Portuguese side Vitoria de Guimarães until the end of the season and also recently made his international debut for the Republic of Ireland.

And Hart has waxed lyrical about the forward and backs him to have a successful career.

Speaking to the Irish Mirror, he said: "Ireland are getting someone who is potentially very special.

"He has a lot of ability and the kind of qualities that can lift people off their seats. I noticed that the moment I met him, but he’s been very unlucky with injuries.

"You have to really understand football to understand what he’s been through because they’re not your average injuries.

People understand when you pull your hamstring and you're out for eight weeks but you come back and you're fine.

"Or if you break a leg. But Mikey had these little injuries that kept holding him back and stopped any sort of momentum and flow in his career.

"But he's very professional and is doing his best to get the best out of himself. A fully fit Mikey Johnston can impact games and he’ll get people out of their seats."

"Mikey is a throwback winger, but he’ll be the first to admit that he must produce consistency - both availability wise and how he plays.

"If he does that, then I really think he’ll be a great acquisition for anyone. Those are the things he’s working on, but football is not that simple and straightforward."

2. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    High praise indeed from someone who has played at the highest level his whole career and I agree with him completely. If he can stay fit there is no doubt about his ability and I could see him coming back to us this summer and having an important role for us next season.

NakamuraTastic and Crilly like this.
  3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

NEIL LENNON has revealed he was partly responsible for persuading Celtic winger Mikey Johnston to quit Scotland and play for Ireland.

The former Scotland Under 21s star switched international allegiances earlier this year and announced he wanted to play for Ireland instead, despite winning eight caps for Scot Gemmill's side and scoring a wonder goal against England at the 2018 Toulon Tournament.

Johnston, who is on loan from Celtic at Portuguese outfit Vitoria Guimaraes, made his international debut for the Irish last month as a sub against Latvia and France for Stephen Kenny's side.

And former Hoops boss Lennon revealed he tried to persuade Johnston to dump the Scots, along with his then-Parkhead coach Damien Duff, the ex-Chelsea and Ireland ace.

Lennon said: "Damien and I were pestering Mikey for months and months; saying ‘don’t play for Scotland, play for Ireland.'

"I didn’t actually know until I watched the France game that he had joined up with Ireland. He’s a mercurial player, with good feet and good pace.

From what I gather, his form in Portugal has been good and it’s been great to see him get senior caps.

"A plethora of injury problems curtailed him, but if Mikey can stay fit, he would be a real bonus for Ireland.

"Hopefully, his injury problems are behind him because he’s a lovely boy and I hope he makes a good run of it

NakamuraTastic and Liam Scales like this.
  4. cammy07

5. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    As usual newspapers writing headlines that are basically not true. Neil Lennon is simply saying when he was boss and Damian Duff was assistant, they were both telling Mikey to declare for Ireland. Nothing surprising in that at all.

saltire78 likes this.
  6. saltire78

I agree with every single part of what you said, up until the bit about him coming back to play for us... It's getting kicked around by the hammer-throwing hacks up her that has * his career. Some people can manage it, some can't, unfortunately... I hope he keeps improving and he gets a good move out of it, and goes on to a great career. He deserves a lucky break, and it'll be best for all involved...

7. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    My hope is that he ends up like Shaun Maloney. He had his injury issues early on in his Celtic career and struggled as a result but eventually obviously he was able to stay fit and have a great impact on the team. Hopefully Johnston can do something similar. You may be right and it may not work out but I hope your wrong because when in full flow he is a joy to watch and I think the style we play under Ange would suit him as long as he can stay fit and can work defensively as well.

saltire78 likes this.
  8. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    I reckon he should do another season in Portugal to be honest. He seems to be learning a lot, plus the weather is much better!

saltire78 likes this.
  9. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Difference between him and wee Shaun is wee Shaun had already made an impact by 24.

Just can’t see MJ doing that here.

eire4 likes this.
  10. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Absolutely true and all the evidence points to you being right. I am just hoping your wrong as Mikey is a real talent and a joy to watch.

11. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    I would love nothing better to see him make it here but I just can’t.

It might be he really kicks on at another club so his career can finally take off.

12. 88jimmij88

Fav Celtic Player:
    KT
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grand old team to play for
    James Forest was the same.

NakamuraTastic and eire4 like this.
  13. saltire78

Scotland is absolutely HONKING for youth player development, if you're not 6' by 16 and built like a tank... If I had a kid playing in our leagues who looked like making it, I'd push them to look for a team on the continent to develop without getting smashed twice a week, every week... The absence of a proper youth/reserve route in our game is borderline criminal for damaging our kids development/careers

14. EddieBhoy1986

Lad got 2 assists and MOTM today. First from a cracking corner and the second an even better cross into the box. Nearly scored one himself too. Fair play to him been sent out on loan to a decent side in a much stronger leage than our own and has risen to it.

15. Big C

Can he be the next Callum? I doubt it but would love to see it happen.

Crilly likes this.
  16. Lewis Kerr

I'd keep him for the homegrown quota, especially if Turnbull leaves.

Dan Breen likes this.
  17. 88jimmij88

Fav Celtic Player:
    KT
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grand old team to play for
    Some good crosses today:

Crilly likes this.
  18. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Aye it sounds like he's had a good season over in Portugal, no reason not to keep him until January st least, as others above said, helps with the homegrown too.

Dan Breen likes this.
  19. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Can play 2 or 3 positions as well..

Would likely be more useful to is next season than Forrest now who is getting on and having some long layoffs..

I think he'll want to go and play somewhere regularly though. He said as much in a recent interview..

20. Montero Gold Member Gold Member

Aye, I'd like to have him in the squad next season, he's done well out on loan but he won't be a regular starter here.

For his own career at this stage he needs to be starting regularly.

NakamuraTastic and McChiellini.. like this.