1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Mikey Johnston

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Keano88, May 6, 2017.

Discuss Mikey Johnston in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    There's just no time, that's the problem but a tweaked approach can also work. Those who get crushed should go on loan build up confidence and then can return much more mentally resilient. That happened to me years ago in a job - I was totally overwhelmed and got a bit broken - moved to another department for a couple of years and when I returned to the original department I knew what I was doing, was mentally very strong and it became a piece of *. We're all different when it comes to pressure.

2. EddieBhoy1986

Yeah I agree with others who have said he should have been loaned out maybe a season or two earlier. But at 23 still more than enough time to either return and fight for a spot or make a mark elsewhere.

We loaned Cal and Tam out and they both came back and staked a claim.

3. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    And Christie as well!

EddieBhoy1986 likes this.
  4. JamesM09

Think this is a bit of a daft take Eddie.

I’m saying he specifically tries very hard to dribble to the byline against a packed defence rather than being selective and using other options when it’s not working.

You do know there’s other ways to try and score, right?

I suppose if he came on for 15 minutes and just hit 40 yard digs into row z you would say it’s fine because he’s trying to score?

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  5. EddieBhoy1986

Aye actually I would because I'd be confident the goal would come eventually from somewhere. Against Hibs we had 30 shots and only converted 3 of them. As Ange has said time and time again, players wont always get it right but so long as a player is playing positively and trying to create he will respect them.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  6. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Happy to hear he's said that. Positivity on the ball, at the expense of safe possession is what I prefer, as well.

7. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

Don't think he will ever fit our system but still a brilliant player. I got no issue giving him more time, some players peak at later years and he might be one of them.

Rydo1888*, NakamuraTastic and Crilly like this.
  8. JamesM09

Again Eddie, that reply makes no sense.

What’s it got to do with the point?

You’d be fine with a player putting digs into row Z because you’re confident a goal will come from somewhere else?

Zero logic there buddy.

Also since you bring Ange into it, he sent Johnson away on loan, so clearly felt his game needed some work.

As I say. :50:

9. EddieBhoy1986

No one said his game didn't need work pal. But a players game needing work is not justification for writing them off or the jealous wee men in the stands ripping them to shreds everytime they try to make a goal and it doesn't come off.

Give me a player who tries to create and score all game over one who hides or passes back any day.

10. JamesM09

Just to go back to my original post, which you replied to..

---------

A big part of his problem was he tried too hard when he got his cameos while he was here.

If you look at some of those highlights for Ireland that’s exactly what he tried to do here.

Sure, those runs looks fantastic when they work, but when you come on at 2-1 against St. Johnstone’s packed defence and try that and it doesn’t work out it looks really bad. He would try it again and again until everyone got frustrated.

I’ve always been a fan of Johnston and would love to see him get another chance here, but he needs to manage his dribbling much better.

At the end of the day it’s a very competitive first team we have here and you’re only going to get 15 minutes to impress. You need to pass the ball well and open space for your teammates, not rely on dribbling past players.

Incidentally this is what people don’t notice about Jota. He does so much more than just try to dribble to the byline.

---------

You replied to that saying, "Would you rather he didn't try and score..?"

So I fail to see where I've written him off if you'd like to point it out or ripped him to shreds. It's a fairly minor (borderline complimentary) criticism I have of a player I actually said I want to see him given another chance.

I get that the criticism of players is often way over the top and should be called out, but can we patch the knee-* reaction to any criticism of a player? It's boring as *. Discussion is part of the game.

Getting dugshite replies like, "Would you rather he didn't try and score..?" for suggesting a player sent out on loan might have gaps in his game..

11. BigDoggyWoofWoof

At this point, the question is surely not whether he's good enough to make it here, but whether he's good enough to warm the bench and make up the homegrown/trained-at-club quotas. At best, I can see him taking over from Forrest's current role in that regard come the day. I just don't see him ever being a first-choice in his position for us, not a complete enough footballer despite some clear raw talent.

12. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Couldn't be loaned out earlier bcoz he's been injured for best past of the 2 years before that.

Injury history is another reason why he should be moved on

13. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He is done at Celtic, he has no chance of making it here in any capacity.

14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Mikey Johnston not giving up on Celtic career after thrilling Ireland debut - 'I just want to feel important'
    Mikey Johnston has not given up on his Celtic career as he continues his battle to feel “important”.

The 23-year-old took a further step towards doing that on Wednesday evening when he produced a thrilling cameo as a second-half substitute on his Republic of Ireland debut against Latvia.

Johnston is currently playing his football in Portugal on loan at Vitoria Guimaraes in an effort to regain his best form after a serious knee injury cost him almost a year of his fledgling career and left him struggling to force his way into Bhoys manager Ange Postecoglou’s plans.

Asked if he sees himself back at Celtic in the longer term, he said: “We will see. I want to enjoy football and I want to play, I don’t want to sit on the bench and not get games. I just want to feel important.

Last year I did still play 20 games for Celtic, so it’s not like I was pushed out the door. I played in a cup final for him [Postecoglou], he gave me an extra year when I left the club, so that gave me the faith to say he wants me to come back to the club and produce.

“There’s a lot of players in that position, maybe six or seven wingers including myself. I needed consistency, needed more minutes. We had an honest conversation and he said it was best I went elsewhere to get them minutes and I was fine with that

I needed a bit of a freshen-up. Opinions on me weren’t accurate and I wanted to change that. I had to get away from the UK, to be honest.”

Glasgow-born Johnston, who represented Scotland at Under-15s, Under-19s and Under-21s levels, qualifies for Ireland through his Derry-born grandfather and his switch of allegiance was approved by FIFA earlier this month.

Aiden McGeady made a similar decision as a teenager and faced stern criticism in Scotland as a result before going on to win 93 senior caps for Ireland, and although the latest man to declare for the Republic has also found himself in the firing line, he is comfortable with the path he has taken as he prepares for Monday night’s Euro 2024 qualifier against France.

Johnston said: “I think times have changed. I made this decision, people respect that or they don’t. I am my own man and they’ll never know the reasons why I did it.

It’s always been talked about, it’s in my family, in my blood. My mum and dad, we had a conversation, they said, ‘Go for it if it’s what you want’.

I have some family in Derry, some in Donegal, some in Dublin as well. I have them all over the place, but Derry is the link. I have had texts from all my aunties and stuff from all over Ireland I didn’t know I even had.”

15. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    What's the only word in the English language that has six silent letters?
    Londonderry

16. PaddyJamieson

Feel for the guy but the above interview shows why he won't make it at Celtic I think. Sounds like he's desperate for an arm around the shoulder and to be the main man and you just don't get that at Celtic, unless you achieve something remarkable.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  17. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Perfectly put. Totally understand the mindset but also know at your ‘top level’ must win clubs…that mindset just doesn’t work and doesn’t achieve constant success

18. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    See one of his first games back, with a pre-season behind him, he came on ran riot in a 15 minute cameo and nearly scored a belter. It hit the post.

And you could physically see all the confidence just leave him. Next cameo he was desperate, trying to do too much.

Next time I can remember a proper chance was the Betis game, and he done brilliant, scored a good goal. Was disallowed through no fault of his, and you seen the shoulders slump, thinking * it’s not working for me. He set up a good goal but * a good one he should have set up as well, and our fans ripped him to shreds.

And the fans with him, for some reason, have absolutely decided to tear him to shreds, I think due to frustration from his injuries but that isn’t his fault and he’s tried his best, through multiple surgeries, to fight through and prove his worth. I love his attitude, think it is too late now, I’d give a pre-season and start of next year to see if he can get there, I don’t think he will but it’s a no lose situation letting him try.

19. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Reading just the quotes from him there I can’t see that at all, the main man part I’m meaning. Sounds like he doesn’t want to not contribute.

20. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Not sure anyone has ever, apart from you, say he hasn't got the right mentality.

Mentality isn't physical...clues in the name.

Edit.
    In fact, I'd go as far as saying his mentality is spot on at times. He's passionate, always shows for the ball and wants to do well. To the point the poor lad (stupidly in hindsight) wanted to play through a knock, which then set him back bit time with us as he took a serious injury that led to Lennon and his disgraceful "* off" comment to him.

Rather have a player willing to give it all and play through the pain, than someone who shirks away.

So be it, his decision making wasn't always spot on, but he was always still a youngster learning the game and learning his fellow players, who unfortunately would have all changed by the time he came back from his many injuries.

Injuries aren't a mental thing.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
    NomDePlum likes this.