1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Mikey Johnston

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Keano88, May 6, 2017.

Discuss Mikey Johnston in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

We get a look at him weekly just now. If he wants to develop as a man (and he needs to) going abroad is his best option. Loan or transfer.

Sean Daleer likes this.
  2. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I think a loan move to a foreign league that is less physical and slower paced would be ideal for him just now. If he can't get his mojo back in an environment like that it's not going to happen. If he does well he becomes more of a saleable asset even if he still doesn't look like he'll make it here. I think it'd be a good choice for him and us.

3. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I mean playing weekly and watching their game's..

I never ever watch the Belgian league. It would be a good move, just selfishly want to see how he gets on closer up as a first team player in our league....which I think he would be at them..

Lupis likes this.
  4. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Aye, no really arguing that to be fair..

Lupis likes this.
  5. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Needs a change. Getting out of Scotland and to a manager who knows him seems like a great opportunity.

Boys got talent but needs game time opportunities and to be away from where expectations and criticism are too high.

Injury might still be too much but hoping he makes it.

6. G40B

Another one who benefits from a lot of people having no idea of his actual age.

He’s three years older than Abada and folk are still rambling on about it being ‘make or break’ for him this year or his ‘potential’…

7. 88jimmij88

Fav Celtic Player:
    KT
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grand old team to play for
    Not all players develop at the same rate. Some players play their best football in their late teens then fade away. Some are late bloomers.

MJ won't be costing us much in wages, and could still fulfill his potential. I'd like to see him get a good loan move with no option to buy.

You'd think people would have learned their lesson about writing off players that have been highly rated in our youth setup with Ralston's performances last season.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
  8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

https://www.sudinfo.be/id476497/art...-serait-interesse-par-mikey-johnston-un-jeune

Standard de Liège still want to strengthen this summer and could set their sights on a Scottish striker from Celtic Glasgow, Mikey Johnston, 23, who has played very little with the defending champions.

It was The Scottish Sun who revealed this information. Standard Liege are reportedly interested in Mikey Johnston, who is likely to leave Celtic Glasgow on loan. The winger could therefore find a former Celtic coach at Standard, in the person of Ronney Deila, coach of the Scottish club between 2014 and 2016. The Norwegian coach has notably won two Scottish Championship titles.

Even though there is interest from the Rouches in Mikey Johnston, the player would like to stay in Scotland. In addition to Standard, several English and Scottish clubs are also said to be interested in the player's profile.

9. G40B

What potential?

Ralston is the same age as Johnston and proved himself competent at Dundee United.

Johnston has proven himself nowhere.

10. EddieBhoy1986

No players development mirrors anothers exactly. Rogic was loaned out when he was around 22 and it was probably another year or two after that before we saw just how good he really was.

11. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Ralston was utter * at Dundee United but carry on.....

12. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    Does he have any commitments here family wise? I'd be jumping at the chance to go abroad and not just that play under deila again.

13. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    That's not right. Said this many times in Ralstons thread but have relatives who are Utd fans and he was highly rated there by people who go every week. Saw a couple of games he played for Utd myself and him and Scott McDonald stood out in the team. Got done by Livingston early in the promotion game and didn't have a great game there as tried to play on when probably should have come off, which is maybe where some of that comes from.

14. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

I think a move abroad would be great for him. I must admit though I have never really seen the hype. He has attributes no doubt about it but it’s his decision making. Gives me the impression that growing up coaches told everyone in the boys club teams, give it to Mikey. Then they stood back and watched. No great awareness or team work instilled in him. IMO.

martin_d likes this.
  15. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Watched him a few time's that season and he was * poor..

16. G40B

Dundee United fans raved about him. I’ll take their opinion over a * with a fetish for ellipses…

17. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Aye that makes sense pal..

All the best :giggle1:

18. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Tbf Dundee United were in the Championship that season. Would have been difficult not to look semi-competent. By all accounts he was rotten for St Johnstone the season after.

I agree that some players take longer to flourish than others. That much is obvious. But I can't see it happening for Johnston here. Hopefully he goes to Belgium, or anywhere, tears it up and comes back here in top form next season. But I don't think his body will allow him to stay fit for any extended period of time.

19. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I'm surprised. Which games if you don't mind me asking?

I saw him against Dumbarton and he scored and set up a second. Best player of that game. United did lose if I remember correctly.

Also saw him in Dundee with my uncle. Can't remember the opposition but he was good that day too. Particularly as he had to play besides that carthorse Moshni.

Not 100% on it but pretty sure he played every game he was there, which few loanees unless rated by the manager.

Was also at the Livingston decider game but mentioned that above.

G40B likes this.
  20. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Livingston on the telly for definite in that game away. Was abysmally bad..

Watched him a few time's on the box. Honestly can't remember which game's but he looked really poor from what I remember and as mentioned....was even worse at St Johnstone in the top flight..

No bashing him. I like Tony. He's really kicked on...which is the point..

NomDePlum likes this.