1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Mikey Johnston

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Keano88, May 6, 2017.

Discuss Mikey Johnston in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Maestro 08

As usual folk are goin way over board in the criticism with him. There was far, far worse out there. Abada for one. Not everything came off for him but he was getting in positions and trying things. Early on he had a crackin' run and shot and got into a few good positions after that. Faded towards the end but he's on his way back from multiple long term injuries so that's gonna happen. Anger needs directed elsewhere.

Dan Breen likes this.
  2. Mr Stubbs

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    You're only as good as the final third. He's not good enough to play here. Here's like an aldi version of Mcgeady.

3. Tomas

I don't know what he actually contributes to the team, his distribution is poor, his all round awareness non existent and he doesn't score goals. We hear he's highly regarded at Lennoxtown, then he continually fails to produce in games.

4. oh bhoy

shouldnt be mentioned in the breath as mcgeady .when mcgeady broke into the team he was giving ac milan (probably one of the best defences about )a torrid time.johnstone has done * all

Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
  5. Mr Diggler

Johnston has lots of raw talent but his decision making and his end product is very poor. He can be infuriatingly wasteful. I had high hopes for him but he really hasn't pushed on yet. Still think there is a chance he can develop into a good player.

6. theweeman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Murdoch
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the Old Brigade
    Was * lunacy to give this unproven, injury prone imposter a 5 year contract. Sums up everything wrong about the club, ditto the finished McCarthy getting a 4 year deal (good work DD). I knew after watching Johnston play 3 games for us he wasn't going to make it here

7. barry1916

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil Lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    His shots have the power of an 8 year old child.

9/10 of every shot of his is blocked within 1 yard of it being kicked.

He is pants.

8. Maestro 08

Giving a highly thought of academy player, who's prob on peanuts a long term contract is not what's wrong with the club. It's the continual signing of mediocre players and projects on long term, well paid contracts that have been the bigger problem.

And I wouldn't be calling time on his Celtic career just yet.

9. John Bhoy79 What chance have you got against a tie and a crest

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson,Jinky,McGrory,Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Johnston has the speed and dribbling ability to become a player but his decision-making and game-awareness are terrible on the whole. He's still young so we need not write him off yet but if he's not careful he will end up this generation's Brian McLaughlin.

10. Maestro 08

Some of the shots I seen him hit last night would have taken an eight year old child's head off.

Just about every shot, pass, cross was getting blocked last night. They had 11 men behind the ball for 95mins.

Dan Breen likes this.
  11. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Much like other players in the squad, he is young and has potential, but we need coaches in this club able to develop players. We also need to take a better approach to development, be that now through the use of the B squad (the level for me is poor though) or using the loan setup a lot better than we currently do.

Mikey, Abada, Welsh, Moffat, Dembele, Robertson, Henderson, Monty, Tobi - all players we should be either coaching a LOT better than we currently are able to, or be loaning them out to clubs at a reasonable level - at worse that is the Scottish Championship, but ideally to other SPFL clubs.

12. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Not a fan at all.

I'd rather play Ewan Henderson tbh. Or even give Rocco Vata or some other talent a shot. He's no longer in the 'youngster' category for me either. He needs to be making an impact now.

johnboy19 and Dan Breen like this.
  13. Cringer67

Struggling to remember a player for us that has a worse end product than Johnston. Decision making just as bad too. He needs to work on this as a matter of urgency or it will never happen for him

14. Bayern Bru Gold Member Gold Member

He’s half the player he was when he was a youth prospect.

Peej likes this.
  15. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I still think he can be a useful player for us.

eire4 and Dan Breen like this.
  16. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Aye thats because he cant cross the road that and his corners never exceeded 3 feet.

17. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

The McGeady comparison is a lot of absolute nonsense. Purely because both have come through the Academy and are wingers.

McGeady was ripping the pish out of people the second he came into the first team, granted his end product was sketchy for seasons but MJ is doing none of that just now. He’s literally receiving the ball and then recycling it to his nearest team mate. At best.

No drive, no penetration, no heart, no responsibility, nothing.

gary88 and johnboy19 like this.
  18. wulliebad

Around 4 years ago a rangers guy i worked with said that young lad you have scares the crap out of me, he will be some player. Here we are years later still waiting on him coming good. He is now at the age if he was good he would be leaving for the EPL but here we are, still waiting and hoping.

19. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Not only that, but he cannot have asked for a better manager's system & style to work under than Postecoglou, where he is getting loads of possession and field position to work with, so really this should be the season where he should be showing what he is realy capable of on at least a semi-regular basis. If he went to literally any other club do you think he would get anywhere near as much opportunity to show what he can do?

I know that recently he has been in and out of the side through injury and form etc, and that wingers are mercurial lot generally speaking; they are capable of great football but also as prone to off-days as much as those when they are at it, but really am struggling to remember him being a menace for a long time now.

In fact, that game at Ipox where he was played at CF, think that did a lot of damage to him/his confidence and really hasn't been the same player since. Am sure he has had good days since then, but I'm struggling to remember any of them off thr top of my head atm.

20. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Think the criticism’s ott. He lacks aggression, but it’s clearly because he fears crocking himself again, which, to an extent, is understandable, and which he should grow out of. Additionally, his decision making and composure in front of goal are poor, but game time (especially under less pressure) will help with that.

I certainly don’t think he should be written off just yet.

packybhoy, Mickmac, Moore and 3 others like this.