1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Mikael Lustig

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Officer Doofy, Mar 3, 2012.

Discuss Mikael Lustig in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Think the point of agreeing an extension is the cash and bonuses are already agreed.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  2. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I don't understand that. If the extension and remuneration are already agreed in advance then that would mean he would already sign it?

It's probably obvious but I'm not getting the bit when both parties decide to implement the extension? I thought an extension offer was based on current form, that's why it's not signed and settled.

For sure if the money was the same he would've signed that in an instance.

3. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Aye for us we would decide on whether or not to invoke it and then Lustig would decide if he wanted to stay.. but the negotiations around cash etc would have been done and would normally be the same as he’s on just now, just with an extra year.

4. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I'm not saying you're wrong, how can I when I have no idea of how pre post or current contracts work but I'm still thinking in any kind of business deal that hasn't been secured there is always room for manoeuvre when it comes to quality of product and value for money?

I mean it doesn't seem logical to agree the price before we know what he's going to be worth to us.

I think most folk like Sean said would like him to be around in some capacity as he's an excellent influence but no way would I pay someone the same money they were getting when they were much better.

celticfan01 likes this.
  5. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Not necessarily, there's no obligation on Celtic's part to take up the option therefore come the 1st June he is a free agent. Celtic can then offer him reduced terms which he can then take or leave.

6. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

It’s simple though if we want him around we invoke the extension and pay him what’s agreed. If we don’t think he’s going to be good enough to play a part, we let him go..

7. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Aye that’s what I’m saying we’re under no obligation.. but would Lustig accept reduced terms when an extension had been built into his contract, never heard of that happening before.. He may love us but that’s a kick in the baws..

8. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

If he's realistic he'll know his value to the team has diminished massively since he signed that last deal. The fact we brought in Toljan tells you that.

He'd be within his rights to say no and look elsewhere but he won't get anywhere near the money we're paying him.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  9. celticfan01

Fav Celtic Player:
    Emilio Izaguirre
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Aye that is true, Rodgers did try to play too much open attacking football in Europe and it does bring a lot more pressure on our defence- but the most running Lustig does going forward is to the half-way line, it's not like he is busting a gut like Tierney is on the other side to get the ball. As a full back you expect to be isolated with 1v1 situations all the time yet Lustig failed twice in the space of a week against a bang average Aek side while offering nothing in attack, Gamboa's only European games where he let himself down was against the likes of Coman and Neymar. Suduva goal was the same switching off that Lustig did against Leipzig, although looking back the ball went straight into the 6 yard box and Gordan is absolutely hopeless. If you pause it he's coming out to catch the ball and not even thinking about punching it away which is just as much of a mistake.

At least with the likes of Toljan and Gamboa they do have that pace to get forward and create space inside, rather than the opposition winger just having to stand side by side to Lustig high up the pitch while their team is defending. Both obviously have to improve their defending massively but the only way they can do that is with game time, not by playing a 32 year old who is on his last legs and offers very little in defence and not much in attack either- to be fair to him when he does get forward which is very rarely he is a good crosser of the ball but that's his only real strength going forward. That Hearts game just showed how much he has declined in terms of his speed, came on in the 86 minute and he had the ball and we are on the counter with all the space in front of him (due to left back being red carded) and he was going as fast as he could and Scott Brown who had just played 89 minutes of football was out sprinting him and he had to pass the ball off. I'll try find a clip later.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  10. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    There will have been plenty of extensions let to run out and then a new offer made with respect to current form. Probably some with better remuneration but mostly with lower offers, the 'market value' so to speak.

What is he on now? I would give him £15,000 (arbitrary) to stay for another 2 years, hopefully as back up but also a coach because he just seems to have the right personality for it. I would love Lustig and Broony to remain on as coaches.

I am biased I know but I can't see him being that determined to return home he'd reject a lower offer unless of course he gets a better one in Sweden which I highly doubt. I'd be shocked if he turned down an offer because his mrs is homesick, I mean you don't get that homesick after 7 years. True, they will eventually settle back in Sweden but the urge to return won't be that great as it would be the first couple years.

If Lenny wins the league I think the board will give him a 4 year deal and I think Lenny would love to have Lustig around for at least a year or two, the continuity would help I think. Experience with the positive attitude is worth a fortune.

11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

I love how you end up posting videos.

Just to prove yer point about how bad someone is.

Brilliant stuff.:56::56::56:

12. celticfan01

Fav Celtic Player:
    Emilio Izaguirre
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Tbh I just wanted to post a video to remind everyone how * Gordan is and that Bain should be our #1

Lilac Wine likes this.
  13. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    @celticfan01 That is awful defending but who do you think is most at fault if it's a cross into the 6 yard box, the full backs, CBs or goalie?

I agree with you that Gordon should be punching that but then again I've been saying ever since Ronny's 'let's play like Barca' philosophy completely exposed our keepers and defenders passing abilities which is why the clubs who do play from the back tend to spend an absolute fortune.

I'm a huge Lustig fan so it's very difficult for me to criticise him even though I did think he was losing pace, I still think he has the head for playing defence in some games or as back up. I mean he's not a complete liability. That huns game he got skinned aye but * that whole team was a twilight zone.

Just thinking about Broony hitting 6 yard passes out of play compared to that delightfully floated cross for Eddy in injury time against the diets. His passing ability sometimes gets forgotten about as he's mostly a commander of midfield but wow he has a Pirlo of a punt on him.

14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

You do it all the time.

It’s brilliant.

15. tomlamb

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    I’m not lustigs biggest fan these days but I genuinely believe he will be much better now he knows he can play more direct balls if he chooses to. He is awful at the short passing game and it will have affected his confidence misplacing passes every game. Also opponents knew to press him whenever he had the ball, if they know he has permission to punt it up the line then they won’t be so intent on singling him out. Relieves the pressure on him. He will have never played the style asked of him before, which is why he was so bad. Managers should adapt if a player is unable to play to their style, or replace them. Rodgers didn’t when it comes to lustig

Lilac Wine likes this.
  16. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I was thinking about this earlier. Not to have a dig at Brendan, I was just thinking about how simple Jock's genius looked. His ability to spot a player out of position and simply redeploy him was basically how he created what I think is the most remarkable European side ever to play the game. Like Bobby Murdoch was just mediocre before Jock changed his position to one that suited his range of passing and he then became a legendary player.

Just kinda made me think Jock would not have asked our current keepers and defenders to pass out from the back because he would see they don't have the quality or experience of doing that. Think of the age of Gordon and Boyata and they've probably never been asked to do that in their puff.

Aaahh, it really winds me up and Lenny better get them all telt, if in doubt punt it, don't care where just get rid.

Was having a wee gander at the Spurs Arsenal game and that's what they ended up doing because it's so easy to press back lines that try to play it out and then they panic but at least they were punting it, we, as Bain demonstrated end up trying too hard and make mistakes.

I'd like to see any team in Europe with our budget who has a team that consistently passes out from the back.

You make a good point regards Lustig. He has the head and experience for that type of game with less pressure.

tomlamb likes this.
  17. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Honestly buddy stopped reading once you made out Lustig doesn’t cross the half way line. Either you don’t watch us enough or I’m getting dementia. Must be the latter because that would make most of your post invalid.

dbhoy72 and Lilac Wine like this.
  18. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

He would be better off negotiating a signing on fee with a new club if that were an option.. think we either take up the year or don't anything else is just being disrespectful to a good servant.

Random Review likes this.
  19. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

No need

Lilac Wine and Random Review like this.
  20. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Sorry mate that's pish.. you know nothing of their domestic situation and of course you can get homesick after time..

If he stays it will be on the terms agreed. A lot will depend on Lenny he may want him for a year he may not. He's aware of his limitations having targeted them as Hibs boss.

packybhoy likes this.