1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

McCann troll commits suicide

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Dixie_1878, Oct 6, 2014.

Discuss McCann troll commits suicide in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Dixie_1878

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...enda-leyland-madeleine-mccann-trolling-claims

A body, believed to be that of a woman accused of trolling Madeleine McCann’s family online, was found in a hotel room in Leicester on Saturday, police have said.

Brenda Leyland, 63, was confronted by a television news reporter over the claim that she used Twitter to post a series of comments attacking the McCanns , whose daughter disappeared in Portugal in 2007.

She was said to have left her home after the exchange last week about the claims. But no direct link can be made between the incident and her death, which officers said was not being treated as suspicious.

Advertisement

On Facebook, her son Ben Leyland wrote: “I love you mum and I will miss you forever.”

In an earlier exchange on the site, Ms Leyland wrote that her son was “the loveliest son and nicest person” she had ever met, asking, “How lucky am I?”

He responded: “I’d say pretty lucky, but then again, who’d have expected anything less of my mother’s son?!”

In a report aired on Sky News last Wednesday, Ms Leyland was accused of being one of dozens of people to have aimed online attacks at Kate and Gerry McCann. She was confronted as she was getting into her car by Sky News’ crime correspondent Martin Brunt, who asked her why she had done so.

Initially reluctant to answer, she eventually responded with “I’m entitled to”. It was claimed she used her Twitter account – using the alias “sweepyface” – to send abuse to the family.

Advertisement

When she was told that a file of evidence had been passed to the police, she said: “That’s fair enough.”

Later, Leyland invited the reporter into her home and, off-camera, explained that she “had questions for the McCanns” but “hoped she hadn’t broken the law” in her online posts.

In the Sky report, she was said not to be the worst of the alleged online abusers.

The next day, neighbours said they believed she had fled the small village in rural Leicestershire, where she has lived for nearly 15 years.

A neighbour, who asked to remain anonymous, told the Leicester Mercury: “Somebody took a photo of [Ms Leyland] on Thursday afternoon and then she was gone. I haven’t seen her since.” Others said they feared for her safety after it became apparent she had fled.

According to Sky News, the Metropolitan police said it was investigating claims of online abuse sent to the McCanns.

The force wrote to those accused of sending the messages: “in consultation with the Crown Prosecution Service and the McCann family, the material will now be assessed and decisions made” as to what further action if any should be undertaken.”

A Leicestershire police spokeswoman said: “Police were called at 1.42pm on Saturday 4 October to reports of a body of a woman in a hotel room in Smith Way, Grove Park.

“Officers have attended the scene and a file is being prepared for the coroner. Identification of the deceased is a matter for the coroner.

“The death is not being treated as suspicious.”

A Sky News spokesman did not respond to requests for comment.

2. Jack Torrance Heeeeeere's Johnny! Gold Member

I don't know the nature of her alleged comments, but I * despise sky news and papers like The Sun and so on who confront people in this way and shame them in the newspapers and on tv which might inevitably lead to an incident like this.

3. TESLA Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vernon Dursley.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry.
    Disagree to be honest the internet shouldnt be a place where you can be a bigot/racist etc and then act all false in the real world, i like to see * get shamed.

4. ticticboom

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    strange how sky news haven't mentioned it. They must be feeling like * but they Mccann's seem to have too much power. Funny how they said the trolls should be made an example of.

5. Jack Torrance Heeeeeere's Johnny! Gold Member

You can't criticize or question the McCann's it seems.

6. Miles Platting Irish Mancunian Gold Member

Murdered,

7. Kiko 7

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson - Lubo - McStay
    I hate the pair of them. They've lapped up the media presence and money since their daughter disappeared and taken court actions against an ex-Portuguese policeman who found actual blood spatter evidence in their room & hire car.

Pair of *.

8. Woody

These type of deaths always seem to involve a hotel room.

9. Chris1987

Very strange circumstances indeed

10. Mr. Slippyfist

http://www.madeleinedocumentary.com/QUOTE=Kiko 7;4305472]I hate the pair of them. They've lapped up the media presence and money since their daughter disappeared and taken court actions against an ex-Portuguese policeman who found actual blood spatter evidence in their room & hire car.

Pair of *.[/QUOTE]

Aye, they are a pair of shady * tbh, although not as shady as the government folk that are behind them........

11. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    If those selfish parents had looked after their kids better none of this * would have happened,talk about changing the * future!

12. Kiko 7

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson - Lubo - McStay
    aye, I'll give you that.

13. Conlon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Past - Henrik .... Present - Who knows
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing... among others
    I seen that Gerry McCann had said he would like to see more people charged for trolling...

WELL I THINK WE WOULD LIKE TO SEE YOU AND YOUR WIFE BEING CHARGED FOR CHILD NEGLECT AND POSSIBLE MURDER

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2014
  14. Chris1987

I can just imagine the mcCanna havin a right laugh about this, she got what she deserved etc, in there big mansion on the phone with tony Blair while eating teascones and drinkin lots of tea. The * :54:

15. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    According to the radio today the woman who committed suicide had mental health problems before this.
    She was a loner and kept herself to herself.

The police are being criticised for this happening because it should have been them speaking to her not SKY.

16. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    The McCanns should have their current children taken off them and the McCanns should be charged with child neglect at the least.
    All the money they have raised should be given to children's charities.

17. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    Jeez, if this thread is anything to go by, those poor * will be vilified all the way to their graves.

Well i for one support their every effort to keep the case open and keep it in the public eye, at the expense of their own sanity and well being.
    It would have been quite easy for them to allow this case to fade out of the memory, but they have been relentless to the point of boring the public about it......and now it seems it is not only they who are paying a price for that.

Yes, they made a mistake, a terrible mistake, but i still believe it was a mistake and cant imagine how hellish their lives have been since.

18. Mr. Slippyfist

[ame="http://youtu.be/k8SRY_b9HbY"]http://youtu.be/k8SRY_b9HbY[/ame]

19. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Mccanns probably killed her, no sorry, she wouldn't have been found..

20. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

If I thought they had simply been negligent and the result was that they'd lost their daughter,then I'd be sympathetic.In the years before cases like this were so well publicised,I have no doubt that it was common for people to do what they claim they done that night - sitting in the bar and checking the rooms etc.I think they're liars though,and the fact the media hasn't turned on them is incredible.