1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Matt O'Riley

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Henrik 07, Jan 20, 2022.

Discuss Matt O'Riley in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

He does the work off the ball and wins the ball back plenty but really need him to show his quality going forward. The consistency will come, just going to take time.

Dan Breen likes this.
  2. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Wasn't great again.

Looks off the pace at this level ( as do most) but even then he's not imposing himself on games for a supposed £25m player.

He needs another 2 years minimum of playing for us before going anywhere.

3. dmccourt95

Honestly think he’s being played way too high up the pitch in these games to have any impact, one forward pass by their defence and he’s out the game and it’s 3v2 in midfield in their favour (awfully similar to how Bodo ripped us to shreds).

4. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    He's a class player but the worry is that he's a bit too one paced for this level..

Touch can be heavy. Doesn't get around quick enough. Wants more time than you'll get against good side's..

I still feel like we need more leg's and energy in the middle at the top table..

5. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He’ll be fine.

He’s went from MK Dons to Madrid and Leipzig, in a single bound. That doesn’t happen without there being bumps in the road at the age of 21.

Gabriel, NakamuraTastic and packybhoy like this.
  6. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Honestly, what we need is another Christie like box to box midfielder. Somebody who is quick, excellent stamina and can bring the team further up the pitch.

Hatate isn't slow by any means, but he isn't that type of player.

Rydo1888* and McChiellini.. like this.
  7. Big C

He’s been poor for a while however, we all need to take into account his age and the level he has come from. I think he’s one of the players Ange alluded to when he said some need to believe they can play at this level (paraphrasing obviously).

8. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    kid has been heavily relied on since he was signed.

Hammy89, Gabriel and NakamuraTastic like this.
  9. EddieBhoy1986

He hasn't been heavily relied on since he signed. He was competing for his spot with an inform Tam Rogic (boy is our midfield missing his experience and composure atm) and was blessed with chances to stake his claim by Ange.

10. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    His pressing further forward in the CL games has been * brilliant, he makes space for others in these games, very unselfishly. I’d like to see the stats for pressing and ball winning from him in the 3 games so far.

it’s a very different role than we see him play in Scotland, but it’s one that’s made Hatate and McGregor shine because it earns them space further back. In a position further up, but it reminds me of Joe Ledley’s work off the ball.

11. celtic20

Always think it's so difficult for players to make a sustained impact in the UCL in their first season in it. Especially when you only really have 6 opportunities at top-class opposition before you're left waiting until next year.

O'Riley hasn't been as impactful in Europe as I would've hoped so far. But that doesn't mean that he's a poor player, that he'll struggle to play at this level in the future, or that there's even anything wrong. It's a major adjustment for so many of these guys who have just been used to Scottish Premiership, lower league English, and Japanese football.

We'll see if lessons are learned and whether they'll develop well enough to make a better go of it in the future. But it's a massive step-up that many are struggling to make at the moment.

NakamuraTastic and James like this.
  12. James Gold Member Gold Member

I like him but similar to Hatate he looks burst after an hour

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  13. Foley1888

This is what worries me, I think in the desperation of trying to win the ball high up we are pushing him up. Out of possession I think he should drop back in more and the same with Hatate. If you want a second person pressing pull one of the wingers in drop the other and have one of three centre mids shuffle across.

Maeda’s positioning for me off the ball last night was weird, he was slightly tucked in giving their full back the run of our right side. He wasn’t really near anyone. It was all the time so looked like something he was asked to do but he wasn’t then impacting the game out of possession in the way he did last year.

There definitely seems something off with the way we are setting up when out of possession. Jota is simply too lazy and slack, that third goal showed it and Taylor was just as bad as the long looping ball out there gave him time to see what was happening but he didn’t react at all despite him being pulled inside marking and area.

14. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

I appreciate the work he puts in but I think the set up leaves us way too exposed

15. Lewis Kerr

Anyone else want to see him tried at DM? I know his playmaking abilities are important further forward but he's a decent tackler and seems to have good positional awareness.

O'Riley
    Mooy Hatate

O'Riley
    Haksabanovic Hatate
    I'm hoping Abildgaard is good enough to be our replacement for McGregor but I wouldn't mind experimenting with O'Riley there.

Wllm and Foley1888 like this.
  16. Foley1888

That’s what Fulham youth team started to do with him and try to deploy him as a deep lying playmaker. I do think he said it wasn’t his favoured position but he can play there.

Being honest for CL I wouldn’t be against

ORiley Abildgaard

Hatate

I think having a double pivot with a ball winner and deep lying playmaker might be not a bad option. Particularly with having the movement of Jota, Kyogo, Abada/Haksabanovic ahead of them and O’Riley to pick them out.

Lewis Kerr likes this.
  17. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Needs to step up now that McGregor is out, I'd have actually dropped him for a few games if everyone is fit, but alas no way could we afford that now.

18. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Aye..

Was just coming in to say I fancy him to fill in for game's.....as Abildgaard clearly won't be ready to play 90 minute's every few day's yet..

Played there before
    Is good defensively at breaking up play/interceptions
    Has an excellent range of passing and can break from deep..

No to shuffle the whole pack but i even fancy Jota could play alongside Hatate as one of the 8's as well as Haksabanovic for say your home game's against side's like Motherwell the other day..

We'd still have Maeda and Abada for the wing's on occasion...even Forrest..

Could Summers or Vata be called up to the first team squad soon for the bench as the game's start coming thick and fast..

Lewis Kerr likes this.
  19. Wllm Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    If we had to chose between O'Riley and Hatate for the 6 it would be O'Riley for me. While it's not really his game, O'Riley is better defensively imo.

Would free up Hatate further forward which is where I like him anyway with his shooting, running in behind and link up play.

Lewis Kerr likes this.
  20. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Is a league game really the best place to experiment? We lost 2-0 to St.Mirren the last time we tried to mix it up.